While products may seem to come to us perfectly prepared, they have to go through a battery of tests and programs before they ever see the light of day to prove that they’re ready to be purchased by the general public for safe use. A test engineer designs and carries out the tests done on new products to get them ready for the market.
How to Become a Successful Test Engineer?
- Like all branches of engineering, being a test engineer requires a highly specialized level of education that typically culminates in a bachelor’s in engineering with an emphasis on design or the like, and depending on your employer and the state you live in a license may also be necessary as well.
- Generally you will be in a team of other test engineers and other individuals involved in the process of production, but what you will be working on and the kind of tests you will need to implement will vary a great deal depending on where you work. More technical products will have different standards for example.
- Whatever the product in question or its purpose, your goal will always be to ensure that it is functional for the desired audience as well as safe to use and holds up to any set standards or regulations. These are not to be overlooked, as failure to comply can get you and your company in legal trouble.
Testing products requires you to follow the rules, but you will find greater success if you are also creative, as this will allow you to think of new ways to test the product and perhaps find weaknesses that wouldn’t have been located otherwise. This will make your products far more reliable in the long run.
The Best Test Engineer Resume Samples
These are some examples of job descriptions we have handpicked from real Test Engineer resumes for your reference.
- Understand and translate requirements into test cases and test scripts, based on the specification documents and business user interactions.
- Constant collaboration with cross-functional team to promote continuous iteration of development and testing throughout the SDLC.
- Coordinated with SME, BSA, Designers and Developers to discuss issues interpreting the requirements.
- Mapped requirements to business scenarios to assure that all functionalities were completely covered.
- Worked with management and project team members to coordinate QA in accordance with project schedules and business objectives.
- Responsible for the planning, creation and execution of all OPS testing activities to include both manual and automated testing.
- Worked with OPS business owner’s to develop and implemented OPS related test plans/cases using the HP/Mercury testing suite.
- Reviewed and provided QA testing estimates for projects based upon the content, complexity, testability and thoroughness of the business requirements.
- Analyzing requirements received from client and the On-Site team to help the offshore.
- Writing test cases for the analyzed requirements and executing them by creating appropriate test data using ALM tool and MS Excel.
- Contributed to lowering defect rates by collaborating with development team members and product owner to establish well defined requirements for user Stories.
- Executes point checks on project systems to validate the system was ready for functional testing.
- Creates and updates manual test to incorporate new software functionality and requirements.
- Identifies areas of test deficiencies and advocated for procedural changes to identify and correct further deficiencies.
- Compiled data from life test, thermal shock, temperature humidity, and other test chambers.
- Worked with outside test houses to perform testing that we did not have the equipment for, mainly HALT testing with vibration.
- Designed, created schematics, and laid out PC boards using Cadence (Allegro) CAD software used for testing product, burn in, and reliability testing.
- Worked with a local manufacturing company to design sockets to be used for testing product on the ATE systems.
- Responsible for test data management, analysis and metrics creation for all RF mobility testing operations.
- Developed a complete test data analysis system utilizing a PHP/Apache developed webpages in concert with a MySQL database backend.
- Performed a comprehensive Cpk analysis on a 700+ step test queue for the first time in company history.
- Created custom ETL software necessary for rapid data acquisition in complex web dashboards.
- Define, document, analyze, perform, and interpret tests for products, systems, components, or modifications.
- Identifies functional problems and suggests resolutions.
- Typical tests include system testing, user acceptance testing, performance testing, security testing and test automation.
- Experienced user of Eagle Test Systems tester, Integra Fusion tester, and the VLCT tester.
- Troubleshoot returned parts to determine functionality; perform failure analysis testing and report results, which are used to make process improvements.
- Perform pre-release qualification testing of new parts and analyze resulting data.
- Perform sustaining qualification testing of existing parts to maintain VDE certification standards.
- Performed end-to-end testing predominantly in banking(Mortgage) and retail portfolios.
- Ensured the timely execution of test cases within the designated time frame by coordinating between the onsite and offshore teams thereby providing for the deliverables and meeting the deadlines.
- Reported a flaw in the banking application to the client resulting in a change in the requirements thereby preventing huge loss resulting in appreciation from the client.
- Reviewing various artifacts including User stories, Requirements, Data Attribute matrix.
- Analyzing test cases with functional specification and design documents as inputs and creating test case analysis spread sheet.
- Executed test cases using Rational Quality Manager and logged the defects accordingly.
- Preparing test cases with functional specification and design documents as inputs.
- Works with Product Owner and Business Analyst along with the team to understand and analyze the requirements.
- Worked with different software development process like Agile, Waterfall.
- Developed Test Plan and Test Scenarios with application requirements and with test schedules for both manual and UAT.
- Designed and developed Test Cases/Test steps for various Business Services/methods covering both positive and negative testing requirements.
- Experienced Sirius XM Telematics Protocol Simulator for sending remote messages to vehicle.
- Monitored the response from Head Unit by sending CAN messages from Vehicle Spy.
- Analyzed the defects according to the integration or release builds to the Head Unit.
- Tested the Head Unit ECU and raised the defects using the Deeplogger Logs.