An Emergency Management Specialist coordinate and direct procedures for responding to disasters. Their duties include researching emergency response practices and analyzing available resources, developing and maintaining working relationships with local organizations and public safety officials, preparing reports on response efforts and damage assessments, organizing emergency response training programs and exercises, and assessing potential hazards and existing emergency operations plans.
To work as an Emergency Management Specialist, you need a Bachelor’s degree in Public Health, Finance Accounting, Business, or Public Administration with experience in emergency response or business management. Emergency Management Specialists should demonstrate excellent leadership and interpersonal skills, and the ability to research and analyze complex solutions and approaches, the ability to take initiative and make decisions in a stressful environment, experience with various project management software, and a working knowledge of public safety and security policies and procedures.
For many people, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Emergency Management Specialist Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Emergency Management Specialist resumes for your reference.
Emergency Management Specialist Resume Sample 1
- Provided administrative support to FEMA employees on over $7 billion dollar disaster/emergency relief fund at Headquarters.
- Implemented basic project management skills by developing and managing the Emergency Support Function (ESF) Administrative Support sub-function of ESF #8 during four months of incident operations in Washington, D.C. area; developed work plan involving 25+ short term positions for over 52 ESF personnel
- Acted as Liaison Officer between Federal Coordinating Center (FCC) and Regional Office (RO), established real time communications with federal partners, state directors, region V incident management team, and 110 RO employees; drafted multi-agency coordination plans of action to address challenges within the Agency of Emergency Management (AEM) and between agencies
- Collaborated with FEMA Staff, United States Fire Administration (USFA), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), National Disaster Medical System (NDMS) to establish a system for the effective distribution of medical supplies and equipment throughout the disaster area; provided HHS and NDMS personnel with information on Federal Medical Stations
- Offered comprehensive knowledge of emergency management operations gained through participation in over 20 events within the last two years.
Emergency Management Specialist Resume Sample 2
- Developed, published, and delivered emergency operational procedures for several federal state emergency operations.
- Utilized skills in all phases of emergency management to ensure effective coordination with the public sector.
- Achieved certification as FEMA/ERMG-I Level II – Emergency Management Specialist & Certified Emergency Manager
- Collaborated on the successful execution of more than $5,000,000.00 in FEMA grants each year since 2010.
- Spearheaded more than $10,000,000.00 in total funding for various projects within four years; recognized by Governor’s Award 2010 & 2012.
Emergency Management Specialist Resume Sample 3
- Managed a team of three Emergency Management Specialists.
- Handled all aspects of the Office of Emergency Management’s Field Operations Program from planning and coordinating all activities to ensuring compliance with federal regulations.
- Recruited, selected, trained, and managed a team of five volunteer emergency responders equipped for search and rescue operations in a hazardous environment.
- Recognized as an exemplary performer by Mayor’s office after quickly re-deploying all personnel during state emergency declaration.
- Helped implement new processes leading to significant cost savings through inventory control procedures and practice management methodology.
Emergency Management Specialist Resume Sample 4
- Provided support to the Supervisors in human resource activities, such as recruitment and placement, counseling, training and discipline.
- Aided with communications during national emergencies by disseminating messages for incident awareness.
- Drafted injury claim packages including accidents/injuries involving outside vendors resulting in claims payments of over $200,000.00
- Preformed clerical duties in a timely manner while maintaining a positive attitude which reflected highly on customer service skills.
- Monitored equipment availability and staff workload within assigned area; made suggestions for improvement based on observations and studies of time management techniques.
Emergency Management Specialist Resume Sample 5
- Organized and maintained files of Emergency Management Specialist; supervised by Branch Manager.
- Coordinated with State Emergency Response Team (SERT) to develop the 2015-2020 Strategic Plan for FEMA Region VI.
- Developed a process improvement team that successfully analyzed operational procedures and identified ways to eliminate redundancy.
- Updated trainings, standards, and guidelines for active shooter response in order to address crisis situations across regional jurisdictions.
- Trained over 100 APS staff on “Run Hide Fight” concepts as outlined by Homeland Security Training Institute.
Emergency Management Specialist Resume Sample 6
- Provided 24/7 on-call active duty for Emergency Operations, hurricane relief efforts, and Department of Defense training exercises.
- Acted as an international focal point to coordinate the Navy’s response during four overseas natural disasters.
- Assessed damage caused by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita in Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas using field reconnaissance teams.
- Provided authoritative leadership while overseeing staff of 12 military personnel at a 248-person remote location in support of DoD Disaster Relief Exercise 13-3 Joint Logistics Over the Shore.
- Employed creative problem solving skills to complete necessary tasks within strict time constraints with limited resources on three separate occasions under austere conditions while deployed domestically and internationally over a span of 15 years.
Emergency Management Specialist Resume Sample 7
- Oversee the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) at all times to ensure appropriate staffing and coordination of resources.
- Manage Human Resource Department, ensuring that staff obtains required certifications and completes mandated training; monitor compliance with Workers’ Compensation guidelines.
- Distance learning specialist; developed online courses for Region 3 EMA, which began statewide distribution in February 2012.
- Authored annual Emergency Management plans and coordinated departmental response to Hurricane Irene and Tropical Storm Lee.
- Initiated monthly meetings between UMCOR & Diakonos teams resulting in increased support for disaster relief efforts within FEMA region .
Emergency Management Specialist Resume Sample 8
- Mastered knowledge of the Incident Command System and National Incident Management System.
- Managed over $23,000 in Federal and State Emergency Management funding to conduct 22 preparedness projects throughout East Central Florida.
- Led a team that secured $200,000 in federal funding to create a sustainable regional coalition for hazardous materials training and response capabilities.
- Collaborated with other agencies to facilitate the conversion from paper-bound forms to automated reporting tools.
Emergency Management Specialist Resume Sample 9
- Identified areas requiring testing through an assessment of FEMA’s Facility Protection Plan; administered training workshops regarding the importance of facility protection plan maintenance for local government officials.
- Enabled the coordination of county response to a crisis.
- Provided management support in all areas of departmental operations, including purchasing and contracting, information systems, personnel administration, and financial services.
- Ensured effective management control of assigned projects by preparing detailed progress reports for assigned projects.
- Responded promptly to customer needs while maintaining an atmosphere conducive to stress-free transactions with customers from diverse backgrounds.
Emergency Management Specialist Resume Sample 10
- Trained new employees on purchase order procedures and benefits enrollment processes.
- Document and prepare data in a thorough and comprehensive manner to include detailed reports, status updates, and progress notes.
- Coordinate multi-agency incidents associated with national disasters or emergencies.
- Complete all required training such as CPR, First Aid (Red Cross), “Stop the Bleed”, BLS for Healthcare Providers (American Heart Association), Hazmat Operations Level One (HAZWOPER).
- Developed written procedures; ensured compliance by proper inspections.
Emergency Management Specialist Resume Sample 11
- Conduct and/or assist with routine and emergency meetings, briefings, and tabletop exercises (TTX) to ensure continuity of operations during disaster scenarios.
- Participated in the statewide response to the 2009 Station Nightclub Fire leading a team of Emergency Management Specialists and Public Information Officers.
- Monitored media outlets during a crisis situation, ensuring accurate messaging by key officials, company leadership, and organizational spokespeople.
- Collaborated with reporters from local television broadcasters and newspapers to convey appropriate information for timely release.
- Prepared final incident report documentation as requested by the Department of Homeland Security after major Hurricane Irene disaster struck main street business district.
Emergency Management Specialist Resume Sample 12
- Formulated plans for effective community-driven outreach efforts that assisted those most affected by natural disasters.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.