Environmental health and safety specialists check for the protection and safety of the environment. Their main duties include creating awareness on safety, monitoring the health conditions in an environment, educating the public on environmental safety, collecting environmental samples for testing, enforcing environmental laws and inspecting levels of air, water, noise and land pollution.
For many, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Environmental Health Specialist Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Environmental Health Specialist resumes for your reference.
Environmental Health Specialist Resume Sample 1
- Identified factors that contributed to a disease outbreak in a correctional facility and resolved the issues.
- Exceeded expectations by monitoring contamination sites, collecting samples, and determining compliance with federal permits within stipulated timeframes.
- Received recognition from Public Health Nurse Manager for identifying health risks associated with public swimming pools.
- Presented research findings at national conference on emerging infectious diseases in healthcare settings and published findings in peer-reviewed journal.
- Consulted senior medical professionals and helped them establish wellness programs using complex environmental hazard risk assessments during work projects in Central America .
Environmental Health Specialist Resume Sample 2
- Trained in the use of hazardous waste (RCRA) regulations; recognize violations and enforce actions.
- Inspected restaurants, food processing plants, hospitals, nursing homes, schools, child care centers, daycare homes to ensure compliance with health codes.
- Researched environmental concerns in the healthcare industry for non-compliance (HIPAA).
- Promoted patient safety after addressing environmental violations resulting in reduced hospital infections by 50%.
- Provided oversight of consulting firm performing indoor air quality testing for multiple facilities including laboratories and office buildings. Received positive testimonials from clients for accuracy and efficiency.
Environmental Health Specialist Resume Sample 3
- Oversee the full cycle of building construction projects for hospitals, pharmaceutical manufacturers, and public health organizations including planning, design, construction management, quality control, safety compliance.
- Assess environmental risk factors for hospital patients using microbiological cultures and other analytical instruments to identify medical dangers from biological contaminants.
- Prepare reports detailing the results of inspection procedures and submitted recommendations to appropriate authorities.
- Earned recognition as a peer-nominated leader within the Environmental Services department by providing exemplary customer service during a time of transition.
- Gained experience in international travel after joining global team responsible for assessing water quality in Ecuador for a U.S.-based client operating an industrial pulp mill.
Environmental Health Specialist Resume Sample 4
- Identified hazardous substances that may be released into the environment due to human activity.
- Conducted sampling of drinking water, wastewater, soil, and sediment.
- Surpassed all performance metrics by achieving 100% completion of all required inspections per year for two consecutive years.
- Implemented new procedures to reduce work-related injuries.
- Presented company with multiple innovative ideas focused on improving environmental health protection programs.
Environmental Health Specialist Resume Sample 5
- Coordinated health department programs for environmental food, water, and vector control.
- Prepared written reports on the activities of the field staff to the Health Officer and County Administrator.
- Researched medical literature on AIDS, HIV, West Nile Virus, Lyme Disease, Hepatitis B & C.
- Led a team in preparing a comprehensive report for local government agencies concerning the potential danger from septic tanks to groundwater.
- Designed a training course covering epidemiology methods for safe needle disposal at home and work to prevent incidence of hepatitis among employees of medical facility.
Environmental Health Specialist Resume Sample 6
- Reviewed the monthly blue-bin recycling report for all apartment complexes in the city to monitor compliance with company standards.
- Detected, investigated, and resolved cross-connections between businesses while providing quality service to stakeholders via telephone communication after initiating office inspections.
- Identified food preparation areas that are potential sources of contamination by using personal protective equipment during routine site visits.
- Avoided additional expenses by monitoring business compliance with city code requirements before, during, and after conducting full building inspections for every facility within the jurisdiction.
- Reduced organizational liability and protected employees from potentially dangerous working conditions by recommending preventative measures and implementing corrective actions at sites that do not meet OSHA standards.
Environmental Health Specialist Resume Sample 7
- Adhered to all applicable federal, state, and local laws.
- Identified noncompliance with cooling water intake structure requirements at a large power plant; U.S. EPA cited the facility for permit violations.
- Planned, organized, implemented the inspection program for the division’s five district offices.
- Developed an environmental training video on Federal Insecticide Fungicide Rodenticide Act (FIFRA); received national recognition.
- Presented information on Native American cultural resources at six state conferences; coordinated participation in ten other state conferences to meet request for similar presentations.
Environmental Health Specialist Resume Sample 8
- Investigated and documented 480 environmental health complaints with an average turn-around time of 3 days.
- Identified 345 environmental hazards in home environments, including lead paint poisoning, e-coli contamination from petting zoos, and listeria outbreaks at a nursing facility.
- Achieved 7% reduction in child lead poisoning through community public awareness campaign to eliminate potential causes of lead exposure.
- Restored 20-acre brownfield site into a thriving residential community that is now a historical landmark.
- Created website for company that received over 5 million hits from government health officials nationwide within the first year of its release.
Environmental Health Specialist Resume Sample 9
- Monitored public water supplies for bacteriological and chemical contaminants; ensured compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Provided technical assistance in the development of wastewater treatment systems, including new construction and modifications to existing facilities.
- Reviewed sanitation processes such as pH levels, chlorine supply, filter monitoring, and membrane control; recommended revisions to meet regulatory requirements.
- Assessed environmental health risks associated with lead-based paint in housing for children under 6 years of age.
- Advised owners on proper procedures for renovation or abatement in order to minimize the risk of exposing children to hazardous materials containing lead based paint components.
Environmental Health Specialist Resume Sample 10
- Established an international working connection with the Centers for Disease Control, in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Awarded Outstanding Community Service by county-wide committee after dedicating 6 years to educating children about healthy environmental alternatives.
- Pioneered new testing procedures for asbestos abatement by inventing a particle counter that tests air flow rate in real time, providing better testing accuracy at reduced cost.
- Overcame health setbacks to complete vital research involving mercury poisoning in fish by collaborating with leading doctors and environmental organizations worldwide.
- Received Distinguished Achievement award from EPA Region 5 for work on major Superfund site Hazard Ranking System project.
Environmental Health Specialist Resume Sample 11
- Provided support on investigations of water quality, food protection, housing code enforcement.
- Responded to citizen complaints in emergency situations including child neglect and abuse, hazard abatement cases involving bed bugs and mold remediation.
- Monitored cleanliness in four day care facilities for children aged 6 weeks to 12 years old with special emphasis on food preparation areas.
- Liaised with tenants in apartment buildings, commercial retail space building management offices to ensure conditions meet sanitary standards for living and working environments.
- Identified nutritional deficiencies among low-income elderly residents; coordinated programs offering nutritious meals at community center breakfasts with health screening event included free pressure testing, cholesterol screenings, body mass index test.
Environmental Health Specialist Resume Sample 12
- Recognized for outstanding performance in hazardous waste management.
- Successfully trained agency staff in order to meet new environmental compliance requirements.
- Collaborated with other agencies in the development of effective outreach programs resulting in positive changes at both national and state levels.
- Promoted to Supervisor after success in working with federal, state, local officials, community leaders, developers/owners, and contractors regarding environmental health issues.
- Assisted in recovery efforts following hurricanes Katrina & Rita by assessing storm damages related to sewer systems.
Environmental Health Specialist Resume Sample 13
- Collected and analyzed data from various sources to ensure that environmental health evaluations were carried out according to appropriate protocols.
- Prepared information for review by other professionals in field, adhering to rules for reporting cases of suspected child abuse or neglect.
- Presented a speech on water conservation methods at a public town hall meeting.
- Provided support and leadership within team of epi-professionals while serving as one of two lead environmental health specialists over nine staff members.
- Led an investigation into the source of illness affecting children attending local daycare center; successfully identified potential exposures and mitigated risk factors through corrective actions taken with daycare owner.
Environmental Health Specialist Resume Sample 14
- Replaced high-voltage light bulbs to improve lighting within the patient’s room.
- Installed new, energy efficient equipment that helped save $8,000 worth of energy each month.
- Completed required EPA training courses on environmental health topics such as food safety, water quality, and indoor air quality.
- Designed a three year plan for pest control; implemented measures necessary to meet objectives; project completed four months ahead of schedule with no budget overages.
- Presented at the CDC 2006 annual conference about an epidemiological study feasibility conducted in two hospitals regarding MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) infections.
Environmental Health Specialist Resume Sample 15
- Screened water systems for health violations at schools, camps, and nursing homes.
- Provided information to the general public regarding sources of drinking water contamination.
- Analyzed data using Microsoft Excel to determine compliance with state-mandated regulations.
- Prepared reports that were distributed globally via electronic signature.
- Identified failure within city’s main distribution line that led to discolored drinking water; presented findings to City Council before emergency repairs took place.
To work as an environmental health and safety specialist, you require a bachelor’s degree in environmental health or its equivalent. Environmental health and safety specialists must demonstrate managerial skills, communication skills, decision-making skills, technical skills, analytical skills, organizational skills and responsibility.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.
- The Best Environmental Health Specialist Resume Samples
- Environmental Health Specialist Resume Sample 1
- Environmental Health Specialist Resume Sample 2
- Environmental Health Specialist Resume Sample 3
- Environmental Health Specialist Resume Sample 4
- Environmental Health Specialist Resume Sample 5
- Environmental Health Specialist Resume Sample 6
- Environmental Health Specialist Resume Sample 7
- Environmental Health Specialist Resume Sample 8
- Environmental Health Specialist Resume Sample 9
- Environmental Health Specialist Resume Sample 10
- Environmental Health Specialist Resume Sample 11
- Environmental Health Specialist Resume Sample 12
- Environmental Health Specialist Resume Sample 13
- Environmental Health Specialist Resume Sample 14
- Environmental Health Specialist Resume Sample 15
- Wrap Up