Dental assistants work hands-on to assist dentists in oral care, patient relations, and documentation. Their duties include assisting the dentist during procedures, taking and developing x-rays, taking tooth impressions, teaching patients oral hygiene, sterilizing instruments and equipment, making patients comfortable during procedures, giving patients information and instructions, and maintaining patients’ dental records. To work as a dental assistant, you will need to complete a dental assistance program at a community college or technical school, get a certification in dental radiology, and pass the CDA exam to become certified by the American Dental Association. Dental assistants must show versatility, attention to details, strong communication skills, professional ethics and appearance, computer proficiency, manual dexterity, and a kind chairside manner to be successful.
For many people, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Certified Dental Assistant Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Certified Dental Assistant resumes for your reference.
Certified Dental Assistant Resume Sample 1
- Prepared treatment rooms for patient procedures.
- Assisted dentists in treatment procedures by administering local anesthetics, taking impressions, preparing and processing dental lab work orders.
- Provided front desk assistance to patients by confirming insurance coverage information prior to appointment time, viewing customer accounts in Dentrix Network, answering telephone calls in a timely manner, assisting with filing documents.
- Enhanced knowledge of dental terminology during training classes with instruction on anatomical structures and medical conditions that affect the teeth and surrounding areas.
- Supported the hiring process through the coordination of new hire orientation classes with attendance records kept in conjunction with HR department records.
Certified Dental Assistant Resume Sample 2
- Performed comprehensive patient examinations and prepared patients for dentist.
- Assisted dentist by performing sterilization and processing instruments, and helped with minor oral surgery procedures involving sutures.
- Recognized as a “Top Performer” among three dental offices; earned the opportunity to participate in an incentive trip for five employees at each office to Las Vegas, NV.
- Trained new dental assistants on proper sterilization techniques through documentation of oral cancer screenings, dietary modifications, and patient education.
- Accomplished 100% quality control inspection rate since first month of employment; recognized for superior performance by dentist who received positive feedback from two state auditors.
Certified Dental Assistant Resume Sample 3
- Utilize dental equipment to deliver general care, cleanings, and manufacture impressions of arches.
- Assisted dentist with preparation procedures including diagnosis of patient’s conditions, precision filing of crowns, mouth guards, or braces.
- Exceeded expectations by offering friendly service that opened new opportunities for growth within the organization.
- Ensured patients’ comfort during dental treatments with highly effective interpersonal skills and self-confidence.
- Gathered extensive knowledge on the necessary steps to complete numerous restorative procedures including filings, bonding techniques, post placement, root canal therapy, etc.
Certified Dental Assistant Resume Sample 4
- Aided and supported dentists in all areas of treatment and clinical procedures, learned to use dental laboratory equipment.
- Trained dental assistants on proper sterilization techniques, monitored patient flow from the waiting room. Administered injection of local anesthetics as part of routine preventative care. Educated patients about oral hygiene needs as it relates to their overall health.
- Caught a patient with elevated blood pressure before surgery improving her safety during treatment; received recognition by dentist for quick thinking and teamwork skills.
- Identified a broken molar that was causing a patient terrible pain after extraction, identified a cavity adjacent to a crown allowing dentist to correct the problem before further damage occurred saving the clinic time and money; received recognition by dentist for diagnostic skills.
- Assisted with the design and implementation of a new patient brochure to increase patient awareness of the clinic’s services; designed and prepared for printing a new brochure that raised patient retention by 10%.
Certified Dental Assistant Resume Sample 5
- Proficient in dental office operations including, but not limited to, instrumentation, sterilization, records management and inventory.
- Provided strong leadership qualities to staff under direction commanding superior performance levels resulting in being recognized as Employee of the Year.
- Educated patients about proper oral hygiene techniques through lectures given during cleanings.
- Gained knowledge of medical terms by reading manuals specific to instruments used in dentistry.
- Promoted from Dental Assistant II to Dental Assistant III following an increase in education level attained over three years with an employer. The role expanded beyond standard assistantship duties into that of a full-fledged team member.
Certified Dental Assistant Resume Sample 6
- Receptionist in a high-volume general practice for two years.
- Achieved a 15% increase in new patient starts and over a 25% decrease in recall maintenance appointments through the use of effective marketing techniques.
- Provided accurate, complete, and timely records on patients, insurance companies, and government agencies.
- Designed new software to help with scheduling appointments more efficiently; recognized for this by management.
- Promoted to Certified Dental Assistant with responsibilities for assisting the dentist during procedures and chairside assistance of dentures. Received additional training from an orthodontic specialist including tooth extractions and surgical assistance.
Certified Dental Assistant Resume Sample 7
- Provided patients with a full range of dental treatments and procedures, including but not limited to x-rays, cleanings, fluoride treatments, sealants, cavity fillings, crowns on teeth.
- Demonstrated the safe administration of nitrous oxide/oxygen during surgery by administering it to both children and adults while monitoring vital signs.
- Promoted healthy oral hygiene in children by teaching them effective brushing techniques after they left the dental chair.
- Maintained confidential patient records through successful completion of HIPAA training; protected private information under penalty of law.
- Improved filing system for maintaining paperless office; effectively organized digital files into accessible storage folders.
Certified Dental Assistant Resume Sample 8
- Aided Dr. George Fuller in all phases of general dentistry including oral examinations, radiographs, laboratory procedures, and dental restoration; recommended treatment plan for patients; scheduled appointments; applied fluoride varnish to help prevent tooth decay.
- Adhered to sterilization standards while providing treatment to children.
- Assisted Dr. Cavanaugh with the diagnosis of patient’s needs through examination of x-rays and other diagnostic tools.
- Utilized appropriate instrumentation while performing root canals on teeth at a dental office in Fayetteville, North Carolina.
- Spent three summers during college working as an assistant examiner for the National Board Commission Dental Examination to test high school students on their knowledge of dental procedures.
Certified Dental Assistant Resume Sample 9
- Effectively manage workflow procedures, office operations, and financial matters.
- Demonstrated successful oral cancer screenings for patients during routine check-ups.
- Provided patients with quality care by preparing them for general anesthetic; guided recovery.
- Updated dentist of patient status at beginning, middle, and end of the day; ensured that all emergencies were handled quickly and timely.
- Handled daily transactions of dental billing & coding; established effective data entry practices into ledger system to ensure proper accounting process was completed on time each day.
Certified Dental Assistant Resume Sample 10
- Acted as a central and important communication link between patients and doctors by ensuring patient’s confidentiality.
- Proficient with all office equipment including autoclaves, X-ray equipment, sterilizers, and lasers. Position requires extensive knowledge of dental procedures such as crowns, bridges, implants, extractions and root canals.
- Provided excellent customer service to the patients; fulfilled their needs before they presented those needs to dentist or hygienist. Demonstrated technical skills that include caries detection and repair, fracture reduction with elastomeric separators, zygomatic elevation release.
- Recognized for outstanding performance in 2011; received appreciation from Physicians Assistant, who complimented on my hard work, dedication and professional attitude.
- Provided patients with a comfortable and safe environment through sterile prepping, oral assessment, and treatment; kept medical tools sanitized to prevent any cross-contamination. Responsible for properly disposing of any biohazard waste.
Certified Dental Assistant Resume Sample 11
- Assisted in diagnosis, treatment planning, and execution of procedures by prophylaxis cleaning; polishing; fluoride applications; application of rubber dams; taking impressions for study models.
- Provided patient care that resulted in an average 98% satisfaction rating among patients surveyed.
- Oversaw sterilization/disinfection protocols to maintain optimum safety standards for dental staff and equipment.
- Promoted team environment within office by organizing activities such as corn roast, pizza parties, picnics, game nights and Halloween festivities.
- Created a standard protocol for maintaining infection control measures following OSHA guidelines.
Certified Dental Assistant Resume Sample 12
- Conducted patient care duties, ranging from sterilization to record keeping, for patients requiring dental procedures including x-rays, filing temporary crowns and filling cavities.
- Performed advanced office procedures like endo root canals.
- Aided in the preparation of instruments for surgery through sterilizing and assembling specialized equipment.
- Responded to emergencies by assisting dentist with resuscitation efforts.
- Received employee award for performing all work beyond expectations during extended hours due to flood damage at nearby dental office.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.