Product Engineers design and develop new products according to customer specifications. Skilled engineers can expect to manage a team, but the top duties include creating designs with CAD software, observing and testing products for quality control purposes, maintaining records of designs and research, and taking part in the design process from start to finish. The skills needed for this position include quality control, customer service, CAD design software, computer-assisted manufacturing, and problem-solving. A minimum of a bachelor’s degree is required to work.
The Best Product Engineer Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Product Engineer resumes for your reference.
- Responsible for all Engineering aspects of the manufacturing lab of Financial Technology company, including programming of robots, design of fixtures, creation of new manufacturing methods, and maintenance of all equipment.
- Creating and maintaining a budget of usable materials, production materials, and development materials.
- Designed manufacturing lab and developed procedures for consistent manufacturing of products.
- Constantly developing new manufacturing methods, designs, and procedures to increase manufacturing productivity.
- Mentored other engineers to augment the level of engineering and to uphold discipline.
- Led a team of iOS Developers; implemented enterprise-level android and iOS applications supporting BLE Beacons, Augmented Reality, and Indoor Navigation.
- Handled Web Services and databases for multi-channel solutions.
- Appreciations: Super League Employee, Infosys NZ Work Tech Champions India Representative.
- Mentored Finacle Mobile Banking UI Team, Handled Data Cleansing and Report Generation.
- Accomplished all deadlines through accurate, financial designs and drawings.
- Supported the Manufacturing department with products-related issues such as wiring diagrams, enclosure specifications, and bill of material.
- Developed a Bill of material for ASCO Automatic Transfer Switches, VAT, Service Entrance, and other product-related.
- Integrated protective relays, circuit breakers, surge suppressors, communication devices, electrical power meters, and other electrical devices within ASCO automatic transfer switches and switch gears to meet customers’ specifications.
- Held responsible position in charge of design, management, and supervision of specifications for Company’s new products, including layouts and computer-generated designs.
- Ranked within top 5% percentile by Company as a Certified Quality Engineer; certified on ISO 90001 standards.
- Support Customer Service Department in assessing customer need specifications.
- Provide customer confirmation and RFQ drawings to customer service.
- Produce RMA/CCR parts reports through testing and/or inspection to provide clear and concise reports to customers.
- Customer visits to assess installation, troubleshoot, or suggest product options.
- Disposition DMRs and suggest meaningful solutions to vendors to avoid reoccurrences.
- Design and Engineer Steering Column Control Modules for Fortune 500 customers with a team of 15 engineers.
- Design next-generation Magnetic Steering Angle Sensor that consists of extremely small and accurate gears and plastic molded parts.
- Performed 7- 10 sound tests per week on SCCM assemblies to ensure sound quality exceeds customer requirements.
- Work closely with Manufacturing, Hardware, and Software teams to ensure final products are ready for production with flawless builds.
- Accomplished sales ranking of #1 in the Pacific Northwest region; directly attributed to my technical depth and ability in mathematical analysis.
- Responsibilities include ensuring a constant supply of quality products by resolving manufacturing concerns, and supply issues and, improving reliability, and correcting defects.
- Managed and drove engineering changes (ECR/ECN) from start to finish by collaborating regularly in a cross-functional manner with Manufacturing, Quality, Supply Chain, R&D, Service, and suppliers.
- Performed Risk Analysis, Verification, and Validation and wrote reports, managed and closed CAPAs.
- Design, develop, fabricate, and maintain construction equipment.
- Draft technical drawings and specifications for new or custom-designed equipment.
- Used computer-aided design software to model LED tape lights for potential customers to review.
- Worked with a senior engineer to produce hand drawings and specifications for LED downlights.
- Conducted research for rules and regulations of lighting fixtures.
- Assist in the evaluation of prospective vendors.
- Plan out production schedules to meet production needs.
- Oversee the manufacturing of all new products to ensure all cables are made correctly.
- Communicate with customers and sales to answer any questions regarding cables and their capabilities.
- Fully understand how all cables work and how and why cables are designed how they are.
- Provide feedback to sales, manufacturing, and customers to improve on any existing designs.
- Instrumental in developing and maintaining a software application used with iron-ore purpose-built automatic machinery.
- Generate quotes for new products which may range from backend operations to full make-complete components.
- Manage new product introductory, or NPI, projects which include project planning, generating work instructions, generating shop travelers, executing development trials & assisting in the design of production tooling/fixtures.
- Day-to-day communication with customers regarding ongoing programs.
- Successfully modified ruggedized 30″ x 36″ industrial LCD monitors to withstand a temperature range of -20 degrees F to 55 degrees C.
- Collaborated with the design team to modify field instrumentation by adding a pass-through connector for the mobile communications network; significantly improved product performance and reliability.
- Work with customers to develop thermoform-friendly designs for new projects, including any components for mounting, assembly, etc.
- Review customer drawings/specifications and accept feasibility prior to quoting and/or changes during the production process.
- Create supplemental drawings for customer drawings that are lacking critical information for internal processes.
- Took initiative to revise cost reduction strategies after realizing that reduced manpower resulted in delayed output.
- Uncover new opportunities for process automation by reviewing competitor’s ideas, soliciting user feedback, and collaborating with Engineering colleagues to define new requirements.
- Designed and developed 3D printable prosthetic hands for amputees.
- Sketched, CAD modeled, visualized and 3D printed new products for testing.
- Continuous Improvement of design, efficiency, assembly methods, product practicality.
- Proven ability to write and design custom electronic circuits, to execute circuit design, and to test and terminate programs.
- Acquired knowledge of computer systems including DOS, DOS/2, Windows 3.1, Windows 95/98; data communication protocols; proprietary operating systems; networking technologies.
- Strengthen relationships between the Engineering and Sales/Customer Service teams and developed strong professional relationships with customers in order to provide technical information and support.
- Process customer engineering requests for new products, including creating all specification drawings using AutoCAD and creating all bills of material and routing labor standards.
- Design and modify existing products to fit customer specifications and requirements and oversee design modifications necessary to produce the required product.
- Communicate directly with customers to determine application requirements for the development of custom products.
- Presented technical papers at annual conventions on topics such as principles of traditional cost accounting and automated testing.
How to Become a Successful Product Engineer?
Advanced education is required to give you the knowledge you need to become a product engineer, usually, a bachelor’s or a master’s in an engineering degree to give you the skills required for the highly technical process of designing items and planning for how they will be made at the factory level.
Once you have your education, you will have to decide whether you want to work for a corporation or independently as a freelancer. As a corporate employee, you will have more resources but will design products primarily for their use, while as a freelancer you will design products that will be sold to a wide variety of different companies.
The most important skills for either role are a strong attention to detail, as you will have to design every part of the product, ensure that it works as intended, and plan for how it will be put together in a factory and how to do so. Every step must be successful for the product to work and be distributed.
Being creative and thinking outside the box is also a valuable skill, as companies are always looking for new ideas for the products they need and for the customers they sell to. By paying attention to the needs of the customers and being creative you can invent new goods to sell that others might not think of in your position.
Goods are needed for a wide variety of uses in the world, and a product engineer is the person who seeks to invent items to fill those needs and design a way for them to be produced at the manufacturing level so many can be made quickly. They oversee every step from product creation to how it is mass produced and shipped off to the public for use by the world.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.