Master electricians work with construction companies and private contractors to install complex electrical systems. Master electricians need to be an expert at their job; they need necessary permits, skills, and experience. When designing and installing electrical systems, they often work with and oversee journeymen and apprentice electricians in completing large projects.
How to Become a Successful Master Electrician?
Becoming a master electrician takes years of training. Depending on your location, you need to complete up to one thousand hours of classroom training and up to ten thousand hours of on the job training as an apprentice or journeyman. Fortunately, your work as an apprentice electrician is a job with a paycheck – much different than a university degree that could cost you thousands of hours.
After completing all the necessary classroom training and hours as an apprentice, you can qualify to take tests and obtain permits to officially become a master electrician. Different states have different requirements to become a master electrician – some states require much less time as an apprentice than others. If you want to become a master electrician, look up what the specific requirements are in your area.
Master electricians need to have good leadership skills to effectively lead a team through long and complex projects. A master electrician needs to be good at communicating with other types of workers on a project as well.
If you can’t sit still and love hands-on work, then becoming a master electrician may be the perfect career path for you. Master electricians are respected and smart. This is also a career path with great job security – people will always need your talents and skills.
The Best Master Electrician Resume Samples
These are some examples of job descriptions we have handpicked from real Master Electrician resumes for your reference.
- Study blue prints and manufactures installations requirements, Layout wiring systems and installations.
- Determine the type of wiring and connections or terminations according to electrical codes.
- Troubleshoot and repair electrical problems, estimate jobs, order materials, train apprentices, and coordinate/supervise 3 to 4 employees.
- Coordinate with electricians installation of lighting systems to manufacturer specifications.
- Supervise labor with installing dimming systems.
- Terminate all wiring to manufacturer specifications.
- Commission systems and train clients on operation and maintenance of systems.
- Installed, maintained, repaired and tested equipment for the generation and utilization of electric energy for diverse-industry clients.
- Implemented energy-efficient solutions that saved clients hundreds of thousands of dollars annually.
- Performed general electromechanical repairs on client systems and equipment, ensuring adherence to code requirements.
- Developed expertise in communication systems cabling, circuitry and wiring through various projects for public utility companies.
- Executed daily operations of electrical maintenance for the Federal Aviation Administration reading blueprints and schematics.
- Assisted in lifting, positioning and fastening objects, such as wiring, conduit and motors.
- Supervised and aided electrical team in connecting power cables to equipment, such as electric ranges and motors, and installing grounding leads.
- Service & maintain new or modified installations in compliance to NEC, NFPA, API, and other applicable codes/requirements designated for explosion-proof and non-classified areas.
- Knowledge of various electrical systems architectures and capabilities, including power distribution, motor controls, and safety control systems.
- Installs control and distribution apparatus, such as switches, relays, lights, power distribution panels and motor control panels.
- Installed, tested and modified circuit breakers, controls, fuses, lights and motors.
- Interpreted drawings, wiring diagrams, flow charts and written descriptions of the project requirements.
- Demonstrated expertise in the use of cable reels, stripping tools, voltage detectors, crimping tools and wire and cable cutters.
- Achieved consistent profitability over 9 consecutive years as result of conservative cash management, careful inventory control, excellent customer service, and expanding contracts through upselling additional products and services.
- Maintained low staff turnover through effective motivational management and workplace safety.
- Recognized by customers for resolving service issues and consistently creating “Win Win” solutions.
- Installed data center infrastructure components: Generators, Switchgear, UPSs, RPPs, and Branch Circuits.
- Managed electrical group; oversaw electricians to ensure quality, safety, timely and profitable project completion.
- Planned and scheduled various types of work with data center clients: IR Scanning of gear, preventative maintenance, and load bank testing.
- Developed daily maintenance procedures in which all electrical work activities strictly adhere to the electrical safety mandates dictated by NFPA 70E, which achieved an accident and electrical shock free work place for eight years at Lowry and minimized unplanned HVAC equipment down time and ensured a comfortable, productive facility work environment.
- Maintained the DISA Super Computer Center equipment at Lowry Air Force Base (which included; 3 generators, 2 UPS systems, 14 PDU’s, and 18 Liebert PFAC units), this prevented all power outages and achieved a zero loss of top secret, critical, military computer data.
- Created one-line as-built red-lined schematic and updated panel schedules from the incoming 13.2 KVA Excel feeds to the individual load for each of the 195 electrical panels; which greatly enhanced the electrical safety for all employees.
- Supervised and managed electrical crews of up to 10 electricians and related sub-contractors and contract laborers that sometimes included multiple simultaneous jobs.
- Designed the lay-outs for and built the automation control systems for the robotic work cells of the customers of a large local industrial tooling manufacturer.
- Performed the installation, maintenance and troubleshooting on the automated material handling systems for a number of local industrial facilities including their conveyor systems.
- These systems integrated pneumatic, hydraulic controls. They included visual identification and sorting systems as well.
- Installed wiring and quality testing of all local cooling systems for Microsoft facility.
- Handled the installation of custom design of BN-1 LED lighting for HVAC heat trace system.
- Installed actuators for HVAC units and dampers, handled installation and calibration of pneumonic instruments for local control systems.
- Configured main control panel to regulate all functions and controls for each piece of equipment/device.
- Installed electrical equipment and wiring in accordance with defined specifications.
- Diagnosed, repaired, and replaced faulty equipment, components, and other electrical systems.
- Gained experience in diverse environments including residential, commercial, industrial, and health care facilities.