The Geek Squad isn’t actually made up of geeks; rather, they are trained professionals in Information Technology that seek to help you with any lingering technology problems. They’re responsible for providing this assistance and resolving problems for clients. Technology is becoming increasingly important, and these tips should help you squeeze into this blossoming industry.
How to Become an IT Support Specialist?
Get an Associate’s Degree: For IT Support specialists, employers will typically look for at least an associate’s degree in IT when selecting from their applicant pool. Obtaining one of these or even a bachelor’s degree will make you stand out from other applicants. The higher your education level, the higher your chances are!
Get the Necessary Training: According to Owlguru.com, you’ll need at least a year of previous experience before you can be considered for this position. You can get this experience either from a past internship or training with a professional. Either way, it’s vital to obtaining the desired position.
Improve Your General Computer Knowledge: Spend some more time on your computer playing around with the different applications and functions of your device. By doing this, you’ll increase your general knowledge. This is highly needed if you want to succeed at resolving customer issues.
Get Experience in Customer Service: You’ll need at least a fundamental understanding of the Customer Service role in order to land an IT Support specialist job. Part of their job is to provide service to customers with questions, so the experience you’ll gain from that role will help you succeed as an IT support worker.
The Internet of Things is only getting larger; and so too is the demand for IT Support Specialists that can fix the inevitable bugs that occur within the system. Follow my advice, and you’ll have a much easier time breaking into this booming industry!
The Best IT Specialist Resume Samples
These are some examples of job descriptions we have handpicked from real IT Specialist resumes for your reference.
- Troubleshoot tickets by following a standard procedure of making test calls and by using critical analysis in the network.
- Document spreadsheet containing all information of network, telephone parameters, and report to manager in every phase of project.
- Gain hands-on experience of Intermediate Distribution Frame (IDF), Network Switches, and Private Branch Exchange, Network Port, Ticketing System.
- Wrote code for various applications based on company’s requirements using Visual Studio.
- Created HTML code, edited photos and videos for website development.
- Assembled computers, maintained security cameras, and network troubleshooting.
- Technically supported employees with computer problems and application code.
- Large-scale deployment of workstations of various configurations, totaling several hundred machines to date for new and renovated sites.
- Cable manage according to standards pertaining to patient-area aesthetics and safety.
- Image and configure Mac OS workstations for various projects and for the NYU School of Medicine.
- Managing overall operations and support of a wide range of IT services, including data, voice, and video, which support staff, contractors, and local hire in multiple locations.
- Support and manage a network operations of an enterprise IT environment comprised of data centers and hosting facilities at joint field operation (JFO).
- Add and manage users in AD configure users rights, setup groups, install specific applications, configuring and administration of routers, switches and firewall, and daily sever backup.
- Install hardware and software systems, and perform basic computer repairs.
- Assist with network infrastructure throughout campus such as reformatting computers, replacing printers and installing access points in various buildings.
- Set up technology stations for campus events including computer access and projects for PowerPoint presentations.
- Investigated user reported issues and assisted staff through scripted service protocols to rule out numerous problems.
- Documented all issues and generate reports detailing common problems and error trends thus increasing efficiency to any future obstacles.
- Connected printers and scanners to the network which help further the printing process and development of the newspapers.
- Installed hardware and software to a number of workstations to help encourage a user friendly environment for the employees.
- Sustain performance of systems for all employees from point-of-sale up to CEO via continued customer relationship bonds and knowledge transfer in ways specific to each user.
- Determine when to phase out old equipment and provide new technology to help clients achieve their objectives – Fully configured to their needs upon deployment.
- Personally accrued Univest Financial as a client via prior colleagues and avidly discuss IT solutions with business owners.
- Dispose of obsolete equipment, ensuring the toxic hazardous materials are recycled and disposed of effectively.
- Build, Maintain and connect the network grid of the company using cisco switches as well as backup stations for clients.
- Created company domain controller, active directory and group policy Developed and maintain the company website using with PHP, CSS and WordPress.
- Test the compatibility of new equipment with the company’s existing equipment.
- Work as a contract worker to design and develop websites and web applications for the company’s clients.
- Responsible for design, develop, execute and maintain database application systems.
- Maintained SQL scripts and complex queries for analysis and extraction.
- Perform light system administration with Microsoft Active Directory including password resets/unlocks.
- Document all phone calls to Helpdesk via ticket system and ensure proper information from end user is obtained.
- Assign/escalate tickets to Level 2 and other internal support departments based on ticket criteria and resolution method.
- Act as a liaison between customers and internal support staff to assure accurate problem interpretation.
- Assist in set up of new computer equipment in classrooms and offices and install software.
- Ensure that LCD projectors, smart boards, and other related audio/video equipment are functioning.
- Troubleshoot hardware and software problems in conjunction with DOE Help Center and borough technology staff.
- Maintain technology equipment inventory and monitor equipment and work with Help Center to ensure timely repair.
- Working closely with the management team, giving solutions to increase productivity and improve operations through new technologies.
- Maintain network hardware and software, including access points, switches, hubs, cabling, and any other wireless and wired applications and connections.
- Experienced of network-related IT infrastructure including routers, switches, DNS & DHCP services, etc.
- Keeping track and managing all IT equipment from servers to workstations and all networking equipment.