Not only are products sold directly to everyday consumers, they are also sold to businesses and other large clients as well for many purposes. A technical sales engineer takes over the task of breaking down and explaining the product to potential buyers with presentations that they prepare with the hopes of making a good deal.
How to Become a Successful Technical Sales Engineer?
You will need a degree from an accredited institution in engineering or a related field like chemistry, ideally with a bachelor’s of about four years. While in the engineering program you will likely have to choose an area to specialize in, and what you choose will have an impact on what kind of sales you do.
You may work for the military, or for medical companies, or perhaps construction or a number of different areas where highly technical products that require the oversight of an engineer will be constructed. Choosing a field you are passionately in will give you a natural boost to your motivation.
Once you are employed your sales skills will need equal practice alongside your engineering skills, as designing top tier products doesn’t matter if you can’t convince anyone to buy them. Putting together good presentations and giving them with conviction will be a top priority.
A good quality to have as a salesperson is to always be charming and engaging with potential clients, as they will want to buy from people that will be pleasant to work with in the future. Designing solid products that last and not cutting corners will also make you more desirable to work with in the long run.
The Best Technical Sales Engineer Resume Samples
These are some examples of job descriptions we have handpicked from real Sales Engineer resumes for your reference.
- Responsible for technical pre-sales activities for Outbrain’s advertising technology for both publishing and advertising clients.
- Consulting publishers to determine the best technical solution for their mobile and desktop applications, video player, and non-traditional web installations.
- Helping advertisers integrate Outbrain technology on their websites for custom audience retargeting, and tracking key conversion events such as time-on-site and purchase order amounts.
- Architecting API feature enhancements to improve customer integration experience.
- Read and interpreted mechanical schedules, floor plans and air flow riser diagrams to identify ventilation units.
- Prepared submittals, responded to RFQ’s, RFI’s and RFP’s.
- Finalized sales by bargaining buyout prices as well as processed payments.
- Created bill of ladings and worked closely with supervisors and mechanical contractors to coordinate deliveries.
- Schedule appointments with existing and new customers in the youth sports industry to review product requirements and demo.
- Provide input and expertise to the technical team so the product can become the best in the industry.
- Conduct customer service by meeting/setting up calls with clients on a frequent basis.
- Assist with sales team for presentations of the products and services, marketing, trade shows, sales tools and new functionality developments.
- Focused on hybrid IT monitoring: Network, Hybrid cloud (AWS, Azure, and vCloud Air) and application performance monitoring tools providing comprehensive view of all IT components.
- Provided presentation of all ScienceLogic solutions to government clients and prospective clients.
- Lead SE to 5 Account Directors/Executives in support of client meetings discovery, Architecture, Quote development and booking through sales life cycle.
- Participated in over 150 separate customer engagements, assisting in twenty-five of the company’s 2011-2013 solution sales to clients in the Pharmaceutical/Life Sciences vertical market averaging $ .75M in TCV.
- Assisted teamed client partners and account executives in attaining or exceeding sales quotas by providing pre-sales and post-sales technical support to customers.
- Provided technical support for global demos by developing data, use cases and BI cubes utilizing scripts, SQL and various software development tools.
- Devise solutions to formulating issues by suggesting alternate shear force methods, suspension, phase addition, solubilizing techniques, usage of co-emulsifiers and rheology modifiers, etc. and supplying prototypes.
- Assess toxicological and technical data for REACH compliancy, ECOcert approval, Wholefoods Regulations, etc.
- Review raw material for EU and China compliancy and complete customer coding questionnaires.
- Train new & current accounts on advances in usage of actives, encapsulation technology, film formers, emulsifiers, surfactants, silicones, waxes, etc.
- Established program to increase annual sales on slow and dormant accounts.
- Annual sales on targeted accounts increased from under $60,000 annually to $290,000, and frequency of purchases increased from once a year to quarterly.
- Prospect engineers, architects, project managers and building contractors regarding our UL (Underwriters Laboratories) manufacturing capabilities as well as our unique standing as a stocking representative for major HVAC air outlets manufacturer.
- Provide technical training on code specification and product application and move project forward to next stages in the ordering process.
- Responsible for the development, launch and delivery of UV and Ozone water treatment systems.
- Responsible for presenting the systems to municipal and industrial clients in North and Latin America.
- Responsible for managing Latin America Sales by creating distribution channels.
- Reviewed functional and technical specifications for Request for Proposals.
- Transferred completed system design based on customer requirements to the Product Management and R&D teams.
- Partner with Wales Darby (local Rep) to increase Fujitsu VRF Plan and Spec market share for the responsible geography.
- Funnel design build project opportunity and strategize plan and spec project cross bids for local distributors to maximize their jobs closing ratio.
- Develop and maintain Building Owners, Architects, Engineers, Contractors relationship in order to support and to create a value proposition of “Airstage” and Fujitsu brand recognition.
- Provides local market and competitor activities information to senior management for developing new products and pricing strategy.
- Managed success of 5-10 awarded projects per month while coordinating with engineering, manufacturing, customer service, contracts, purchasing, and shipping.
- Consistently met sales targets of $2 million/year, comparable to veterans with 10+ years of experience.
- Increased personal sales 84% in 2014 (quotas rose only 13% annually).
- Led all projects involving replacement equipment and specialized in retrofitting competitors’ installations with Balticare’s product line.
- Perform routine maintenance such as Hydraulic Fluid Service, Air Filter replacement, Engine oil service and other manufacturer recommended services.
- Reviews reports and documentation from customers, and inspects malfunctioning product to determine nature and scope of problem.
- Analyzes review and inspection findings to determine source of problem, and recommends repair, replacement, or other corrective action.
- Develops and conducts training on the safe operations of the equipment and demonstrates skills to technicians and Bobcat machine operators, including both team members and customers.
- Researched solar energy technology trends; advise sales force on competitive differentiation.
- Coordinated between sales and operations teams to ensure that all projects met specifications and customer expectations.
- Trained and oversaw sales technicians and reviewed work products.
- Selected most appropriate technology for residential and commercial applications and designed solar systems from site audit and utility data.