Internal auditors are responsible for controlling risk in a company by checking that company policies are being followed. To do this, they create financial reports about an organization’s assets and compliance with laws and regulations. They also provide recommendations for improving systems or processes to the management team. This position requires excellent reporting skills, decision-making abilities, analytical thinking, and effective communication. A bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or a related field is required for this position.
The Best Internal Auditor Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Internal Auditor resumes for your reference.
- Participated in completing a wide range of financial, operational, and compliance audits.
- Identify and quantify opportunities for improvement and developed formal audit recommendations that are value-added and cost-effective.
- Identify and prioritize related risks and potential audit requirements within the Company.
- Delivered effective oral and written communication of audit commencement, objectives, status, and results to auditees.
- Initiated a company-wide theft inventory loss control program that decreased lost inventory by $40,000 within six months.
- Participate in engagement planning to collaboratively, with internal stakeholders, identify risks in business processes.
- Evaluate and test controls and performance metrics of company operations.
- Evaluate and identify cost savings and process improvement opportunities.
- Interview process performers to understand and document business processes and risks.
- Improved efficiency of the production line in an automotive assembly plant during the recession of 10% without increasing the cost-per-unit of products.
- Performs the responsibility of in-charge (lead) auditors and works under the direction of an Audit Manager.
- Identifies key business and operational processes for identifying and assessing current and emerging risks.
- Delivers presentations to client management at the audit opening and closing meetings.
- Reduced lost and mismatched inventory at a local department store by 20% through improving tracking systems, implementing employee accountability, and establishing customer reward programs.
- Instructed employees to recognize risks and implement quality control measures resulting in a national retail chain’s receiving the “Business with Integrity” award for seven consecutive years.
- Provide high-quality, professional day-to-day execution of internal audit engagements and projects in line with firm risk management practices.
- Reviews and evaluates the effectiveness of established controls and determines if controls are effectively designed.
- Designs and performs audit procedures to test the effectiveness of controls.
- Developed audit programs and executed the testing plan for assigned operational audits, with management review and approval.
- Detected and resolved fraudulent accounting records and procedures.
- Performs departmental audits and risk management assessments at various Humble ISD schools.
- Develops recommendations for improving internal audit/ IT controls, operating efficiency, the adequacy of record-keeping, and proper documentation of processes.
- Leads and facilitates meetings with guidance from the internal audit director to discuss audit findings with school district principals and bookkeepers on the level of standards required to maintain a satisfactory status.
- Acquires and analyzes financial data from ERM systems to discuss audit results with management.
- The saved company over $200K annually through identification of over $100K in cost overruns and loss prevention.
- Provided exceptional client support by actively participating in planning and engagement meetings with clients, fully explaining the audit approach, scope, and objectives of the engagement resulting in 100% client retention.
- Evaluated the design effectiveness and the use of controls, correctly identifying and documenting key controls and process weaknesses while providing evidence of findings using department-approved work papers.
- Ensured strict compliance with all Federal Housing Administration requirements by proposing practical recommendations to address control weaknesses and process inefficiencies, boosting productivity.
- Identified and implemented $25K in monetary savings with automated spreadsheet representation of the company’s operations.
- CCR Certified; Positioned Audit team to address client concerns while meeting established deadlines.
- Perform complex audits to include testing that is large in scale to determine compliance with laws, rules, and regulations, while determining time restraints on projects.
- Define root cause and effects, determine existing controls, and perform risk assessments.
- Conduct interviews and briefings with departmental staff to include executives and managers to obtain information and to present results of the risk assessment survey and the audit program.
- Reviews overall management operations and internal controls for accuracy, economy, efficiency, and compliance to department policies, procedures, and relevant local, state, and federal laws.
- Awarded “Top Performer” rating based on superior customer satisfaction, timeliness, and efficiency, as exemplified by successful year-end audit completion on schedule, within budget.
- Conducted regular maintenance on risk control matrices, along with the testing of key SOX controls, to include the validation of populations for testing and the preparation and upkeep of detailed work papers to support testing.
- Executed financial and operational audits at the restaurants and corporate office and facilitate SOX training.
- Prepared and presented SOX audit results to the manager of Internal Audit and Business Process Owners, along with the financial and operational audit results issued immediately after the completion of the work.
- Imparted industry expertise in recommending improvements to existing controls, as well as supporting the remediation of identified control weaknesses.
- Effectively performed time and labor audits of appropriate data to ensure proper compensation for employees.
- Assist in planning and conducting internal audits of the Agency’s operations and divisions.
- Perform audits of management operations, internal control systems, and accounting records.
- Conduct routine audits in order to determine Agency compliance with laws, rules, and regulations.
- Identify inefficiencies in processes and procedures and develop recommendations for improvement.
- Assist in developing audit objectives, performing fieldwork, documenting results, and preparing reports.
- Managed rigorous audit schedule of 50+ annual audits, 100 percent on-time completion.
- Restructured tri-annual audit schedule combining like audits, reduced written audit reports by 50 percent.
- Authored, edited, and reviewed, company operating procedures ensuring document control aligned and complied with requirements.
- Managed data package for storing, collaborating, and status of audits, and customer, supplier, and internal corrective actions.
- Served as a backup auditor on multiple audit engagements involving $5,000,000 in assets.
- Analyze, reconcile and review financial statements, balance sheets, and general ledger accounts.
- Conduct annual and semi-annual reviews of all cash handling departments.
- Identify and communicate issues to senior management and offer recommendations relevant to business and risk.
- Ensure audit conclusions are based on a complete understanding of the process, circumstances, and risk.
- Received outstanding performance review for identification and reporting of a $25,000 fraud committed by a vendor.
- Walkthrough to identify control concerns, opportunities for improvement, and best practices specifically for SOX guidelines.
- Prepare work papers, computations, and statistical reports to ensure compliance with established control procedures and identify potential issues that need attention.
- Draft control deficiencies and recommendations and present potential audit findings to audit client management.
- Perform remediation follow-up to monitor the adequacy and timely completion of remediation plans.
- Developed computer audit program to monitor financial software; increased efficiency by 15%.
How to Become a Successful Internal Auditor?
Get a Finance Degree: In today’s marketplace, getting a college degree is essential for most career paths. Since being an auditor will involve a good amount of money management, a degree in finance or marketing will give you the most know-how for the position.
Improve Your Critical Thinking Skills: Critical thinking skills are vital for managing the building blocks of a business. I believe the most effective ways to do this would be playing video games or being a participant on an athletic team. Making choices quickly will certainly help when having to juggle business decisions.
Learn Data Mining: According to an article published on CFO.com, data mining is a skill that is highly sought after for new internal auditors. It will certainly help you when poring through a large amount of data. Knowing how to do this before you’re hired will increase your potential value to a business.
Stay on the Latest Tech News: With the mass expansion of technology comes an increased risk for hacks and security breaches. Managing your company’s structure also requires knowing how to best approach risks. Staying on top of the latest technology news will keep you informed of how to deal with these.
Being an internal auditor can be a tough position depending on where you work. If you follow the tips as outlined above, you’ll be comfortably prepared to handle the day-to-day demands of one.
Like most job professions, becoming an internal auditor takes hard work and dedication. You’ll need to work to ensure that your company’s internal control structure is of good quality. When it isn’t, it will be up to you to work with the managers to improve the situation. The internal control structure of a company is vital to making sure it runs effectively. If you want to pursue a profession in this field, there are a few things you need to know first.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.