Food preparer workers typically assist chefs and culinary experts in kitchens of every level by preparing food to be cooked and consumed. They clean and cut everything from meats to vegetables so it is ready to be cooked and safe to consume, and many also brew drinks so that they are ready for customers to order.
How to Become a Successful Food Preparer?
Educational requirements tend to be low if a restaurant has any at all, with most education being on the job training provided by more experienced workers. A degree from a culinary program or even a high school degree can help though.
Upon being hired you will usually begin training in the specific requirements of each kitchen, which will usually last several weeks as you work under a mentor and gain the skills needed to work on your own.
Some of the most important skills are to follow the rules and listen to the more experienced workers, as keeping your work station clean and within regulations is of the utmost importance for the health of your customers.
Gaining experience in preparing different kinds of food can allow you to seek employment at higher end restaurants that pay better and serve more high class foods, which will grant you even more experience.
You can also pick from different establishments that suit your own needs as well, such as working at a school, a hospital, or even a grocery store if that setup is what meets your individual needs and schedule.
The Best Food Preparer Resume Samples
These are some examples of job descriptions we have handpicked from real Food Prep resumes for your reference.
- Prepared all live seafood and adhered and maintained all company Food Safety & Sanitation guidelines.
- Completed all Hot/Cold food assignments in a thorough, efficient and timely manner.
- Demonstrated skills upon completion of training foundational understanding of products carried preparation and serving suggestions.
- General Cleaning & Maintenance of work area including sweeping, mopping and stock replenishment.
- Displayed and served meals to students and staff as required.
- Set tables prior to serving assigned meals; cleaned dining areas after meals as needed.
- Ensured the cleanliness of the lunchroom and kitchen areas daily.
- Receives outstanding customer reviews and scored 95/100 or higher on all mystery shoppers.
- Maintain a spotless appearance of the dining room and all work areas.
- Train new hires in cleanliness, hard work, and delivering excellent customer service.
- Assisted customers to select and purchase specified food orders.
- Resolved customer complaints and requests for refunds, exchanges and adjustments.
- Structured and maintained clean and satisfied work environment.
- Happily assisted customers with purchasing everything they needed until satisfied and content.
- Using specific food portion guides, ensured that every customer received the appropriate amount of food per order.
- Trained new hires on all aspects of store operations from food packaging and preparation to proper management of the cash register.
- Ensured all tables, chairs, floors and restrooms were properly cleaned and sanitized prior to customers’ entering the store.
- Prepared menu orders for customers that ensured quality and visual presentation.
- Accurately managed inventory that included organizing food and products by date and maintaining adequate supplies.
- Sanitized cooking and preparation line to meet above standard cleanliness and safety.
- Trained new employees in company operations and procedures.
- Collected money from customers, made change and recorded transactions on customer receipts.
- Listened to and resolved customers’ complaints regarding products and services.
- Planned work on orders so that items served together were finished at the same time.
- Grilled, cooked and fried foods such as french fries, eggs and pancakes.
- Performed Simple food preparation tasks such as making sandwiches, carving meats and brewing coffee.
- Cooked a variety of food according to menus, or numbers of portions to be served.
- Cleaned and inspected galley equipment, kitchen appliances, and work areas to ensure cleanliness and functional operation.
- Took and recorded temperature of food and food storage areas such as refrigerators and freezers.
- Prepared balanced and economical breakfast, lunch and snacks in a timely manner ensuring appropriate food amounts.
- Retained adequate amounts of food, maintained appropriate food temperature for late arrival of children and supervised their meals when necessary.
- Performed cleaning duties such as sweeping, mopping, and washing dishes, to keep equipment and facilities organized and sanitary.
- Communicate with customers regarding orders, comments, and complaints.
- Prepare daily food items, and cook simple foods and beverages, such as sandwiches, salads, soups, pizza, or coffee, using proper safety precautions and sanitary measures.
- Select food items from serving or storage areas and place them in dishes, on serving trays, or in take-out bags.
- Cleaned and sanitized work areas, equipment, utensils, dishes, or silverware.
- Placed food trays over warmers for immediate service, or stored them in refrigerated or storage cabinets.
- Portioned and wrapped food, or placed it directly in containers for service to patrons.