A Deck Cadet is a manual laborer on a cruise ship or a military ship. Their duties include ship maintenance, preparing the ship for departure, performing safety inspections, maintaining life-saving equipment, maintaining fire safety equipment, checking tank soundings, repairing actual deck boards, and lowering the gangway for the pilot.
For many, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Deck Cadet Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Deck Cadet resumes for your reference.
Deck Cadet Resume Sample 1
- Completed deck crew project according to specifications.
- Transported and unloaded shipments at various locations; communicated effectively with drivers, warehouse personnel, and freight forwarders.
- Recognized for excellent leadership ability by the Chief Financial Officer of his department; utilized expertise to perform a variety of tasks.
- Received outstanding employee performance award in recognition of outstanding job performance and abilities.
- Received Employee Of The Month Award, presented by the Regional Manager for his exceptional work ethic and dedication to the company.
Deck Cadet Resume Sample 2
- Improved operating procedures through instruction received from senior management and supervision. Proved to be capable of being an effective team member for the Deck Cadet Crew.
- Delivered safety awareness training to new employee trainees; demonstrated excellent customer service skills and professionalism when interacting with customers; maintained a positive and friendly attitude during interactions.
- Provided demonstration of the appropriate level of service via representing law enforcement, fire, combative driving services, and transportation services while remaining professional at all times. Identified specific requirements during training sessions and provided assistance in completing tasks in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to complete tasks on time using established internal systems through accurate record keeping. Keyed in on specific details and monitored progress to ensure completion of job activities.
- Maintained a positive and professional attitude while dealing with customers; demonstrated ability to resolve discrepancies while remaining objective. Received recognition from the Deck Cadet Supervisor for satisfactorily performing job duties.
Deck Cadet Resume Sample 3
- Prepared steam boilers for daily operation.
- Installed piping, placed valves, and rigged pumps for the new driveshaft.
- Helped operates tugboats to dredge waterways and transport huge pumps from the factory to the construction site.
- Actively participated in emergency drills to ensure the safety of crew and passengers; demonstrated initiative by recommending an alternate boiler room escape route when the original route was inundated with floodwaters.
- Received the Distinguished Service Award; chosen by the captain to represent the company at a joint ceremony.
Deck Cadet Resume Sample 4
- Made multiple safety recommendations to the Captain regarding vessel maintenance, including the need for new fire extinguishers.
- Assisted the First Mate in closing up the vessel at the end of each day.
- Aided in removing an injured fisherman from the fishing vessel, and then called 9-1-1 to request emergency medical assistance.
- Recommended that the Captain replace both batteries with new life-saving equipment.
- Identified unsafe flying conditions prior to departure; as a result, an injured seaman was transported to a hospital by helicopter rather than by plane.
Deck Cadet Resume Sample 5
- Processed assigned deck inspections in a timely fashion.
- Implemented new safety guidelines which documented and tracked the frequency of safety inspections.
- Completed all assigned tasks with 100% accuracy and on time.
- Recognized for outstanding performance; attained award for exceptional teamwork, respect, efficiency in and out of the field, and passion for the job performed.
- Identified appropriate opportunities for continuing education.
Deck Cadet Resume Sample 6
- Led a team of deckhands in the daily inspection of vessel decks and ladders; physically inspected each area for chipping or peeling paint or adherence to safety guidelines.
- Maintained smooth and timely operation of vessel’s deck equipment; inspected equipment for proper functioning, including moving parts and electrical connections.
- Assisted in the prevention and reporting of oil spills; performed nightly patrols for evidence of oil on the shoreline.
- Oversaw emergency preparedness; implemented and tested emergency procedures, including fire prevention plans.
- Trained deck crewmembers on standard operating procedures; effectively communicated guidelines in order to ensure a safe working environment.
Deck Cadet Resume Sample 7
- Performed new and check-out inspections; ensured that equipment was in compliance with all regulatory standards.
- Properly executed maintenance operations; ensured that all main and auxiliary systems were in optimal condition.
- Provided 24-hour support to vessels operating throughout the region, including US cities, Canadian cities, and European Cities.
- Maintained competent knowledge of all company products and services through constant professional training.
- Provided timely information to upper management to ensure that regulatory requirements were met.
Deck Cadet Resume Sample 8
- Able to design and fabricate a gondola car according to specifications.
- Responsible for receiving and checking all equipment; communicating with the company service department for any necessary maintenance.
- Able to safely hoist and handle equipment weighing up to 6000 lbs.
- Completed all required safety training; report any unsafe or illegal working conditions or situations that affected the personal safety of other crew members.
- Selected supplies for the gondola project; studied transportation standards by consulting Transportation Engineering handbooks and meeting with engineers who worked on the project.
Deck Cadet Resume Sample 9
- Organized and supervised twelve deckhands during layup and paint-out of power catamaran; demonstrated exemplary leadership during periods of high stress.
- Audited documentation by reviewing vessel plans and other documents in order to ensure that all necessary legal clearances had been obtained prior to departure.
- Coordinated with yard personnel regarding the location of vessels and availability of additional resources as a result of delays due to weather conditions.
- Maintained accurate records in order to determine the legality of certain vessels; acknowledged for exceptional ability in documenting procedures for Federal Maritime Commission inspection.
- Ordered replacement parts and equipment in a timely fashion to avoid costly delays.
Deck Cadet Resume Sample 10
- Maintained a safe, clean and attractive work area. Trimmed dead limbs, cleaned debris, and repaired damaged railings.
- Demonstrated sales techniques to sell tickets aboard ferry boats.
- Received ‘Above Average’ on Department Quality Standards Reviews; completed work assigned in a timely manner, met deadlines, and met or exceeded productivity standards.
- Trained new deck cadets; relayed proper procedures to ensure safe operations of the ferries while providing exceptional customer service.
- Operated all machinery on deck including; winches, pulleys, and lifeboats as directed by Captain or as assigned by Duty Person.
Deck Cadet Resume Sample 11
- Constructed a deck section in less than one day; recognized by the Lead Deckhand for outstanding performance.
- Suggested methods to maintain deck finish quality; recommended the purchase of four new burnishers.
- Installed deck railing without incident; met ships’ deadline for completion.
- Repairing planks and caulking proved advantageous as a cost-cutting measure; saved the company $1,000 per month.
- Reduced costs associated with bottom paint maintenance by half through proper inspection and application technique; suggested change of bottom paint brand before the next scheduled painting operation.
Deck Cadet Resume Sample 12
- Maintained deck and superstructure of the ship by cleaning in a systematic manner and according to standards required by the company.
- Trained by senior deck cadet, saved the company $1000s in repairs to equipment; identified areas of non-compliance with company guidelines.
- Completed assigned tasks on time, as demonstrated by positive performance evaluations by supervisors; received team member award for outstanding performance.
- Executed all assigned tasks correctly during an emergency; avoided delays in critical contract work for the navy.
- Completed assigned tasks on time as a result of skillful performance and ability to handle multiple demands simultaneously.
Deck Cadet Resume Sample 13
- Attended to customers’ needs and concerns; provide guidance and assistance to passengers during peak sailing times.
- Assisted various state agencies with criminal investigations.
- Completed all required training modules on the first attempt.
- Gained a deeper understanding of the legal responsibilities of an officer; effectively enforced shipboard guidelines in a safe, non-discriminatory manner.
- Improved knowledge of the maritime industry through self-study.
To be a deck cadet you must enter into a formal training program on a ship which lasts from 18 months to 3 years. You must demonstrate these skills: physical strength, shipyard experience, knowledge of safety rules, mechanical aptitude, carpentry skills, math and computer skills, and familiarity with operations of ships.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.