Library media specialists assist students and staff members in performing research and manage all media assets within a school or library system. They are tasked with assisting in locating library materials, assisting in research projects, managing and cataloging media assets, helping turn questions into media results, instructing on research practices, and coordinating events within the library.
For many, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Library Media Specialist Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Library Media Specialist resumes for your reference.
Library Media Specialist Resume Sample 1
- Actively researched the career of being a librarian, by co-authoring a research paper.
- Retrieved, evaluated, and organized data from various internet, library science publications to develop an online educational learning tool for parents and teachers.
- Examined consumer software for producing educational CDs that were used in the Learning Center of the library.
- Assessed factors that affect learning achievement on standardized tests; probed statistical analyses on assessment scores to promote positive change.
- Found information regarding first aid techniques; compiled data regarding traumatic brain injury (TBI); shared knowledge via training material for first responders within the community.
Library Media Specialist Resume Sample 2
- Met all requirements of the Library Media Specialist Certification. Assessed student learning and educational needs to develop curriculum for academic periods of the school year.
- Presented research findings at national conference of School Librarians, and published article in peer-reviewed journal on teaching life skills to children with emotional disabilities.
- Delivered over 20 professional workshops on the effective use of the internet in elementary school libraries.
- Collaborated with other professionals through a dozen online discussion groups in a quest to improve students’ writing skills.
- Performed an extensive cost-benefit analysis in order to determine whether public schools should replace print books with electronic textbooks.
Library Media Specialist Resume Sample 3
- Designed, maintained, and updated library card catalog, on-line computer catalog, and web page for access by students for over 30+ years.
- Organized collection of books on various topics related to children’s development and success via themed displays.
- Participated in the design of open houses promoting the library as a research facility; raised awareness that librarians are information specialists who teach students to be independent researchers.
- Organized several book studies on specific bestselling books; selected titles included financial literacy works by Dave Ramsey, investing guides of Peter Lynch, market analysis work by Robert Shiller, and biographies of Jack Welch.
- Performed research to identify titles for purchase; selected works included 3 books on the Great Depression, 2 books on the history of Jazz, and several personal finance guides.
Library Media Specialist Resume Sample 4
- Accomplished in a record time span of two years the transition from a central library media center to a distributed system in three buildings with nine classrooms.
- Obtained funding for all materials, equipment, and student project supplies essential to the success of this distributed library media center model that is annually saving the district thousands dollars.
- Collaborated with administration and faculty in planning curricular tie-ins for integrating technology throughout each step of the curriculum from kindergarten through high school.
- Effectively discussed innovative ideas for improving access to information resources with colleagues at national, regional, state, county, and district levels.
- Served as the advisory member for all media special interest groups; represented group at state and national conferences.
Library Media Specialist Resume Sample 5
- Coached high school students in research skills; handled budget responsibilities.
- Designed and maintained student directories; updated course catalogs, updated postings on the web, updated campus bulletin boards.
- Created student summer reading programs; designed and implemented curriculum for reading workshops for teachers.
- Edited many classroom transcripts that were referenced by professors to ensure accuracy of student responses.
- Worked closely with faculty to establish a highly rated research collection at Parkland College.
Library Media Specialist Resume Sample 6
- Founded and implemented a research program for elementary school libraries.
- Recognized the importance of library service to the community; established an annual lecture series in 1982 on new trends in library science.
- Initiated the creation of three new programs within the library’s budget; sponsored one (1) conference on child development, one (1) conference on new trends in children’s literature, and one (1) week-long conference for Indiana School Library Media Centers.
- Designed and implemented a comprehensive collection development program for children’s materials; developed guidelines to assist with future acquisitions.
- Displayed professional initiative by initiating two (2) semiannual children’s reading programs.
Library Media Specialist Resume Sample 7
- Demonstrated exceptional educational and instructional ability by researching and presenting a paper at the State Conference for the Texas Association of School Librarians.
- Selected as a member of the 20% group to present undergraduate research; successfully advanced to candidacy for Master’s degree.
- Directed library staff instruction resulting in significant improvements in library services, including greater online access and student satisfaction ratings.
- Designed and implemented two teacher workshops resulting in improved instructional competence, as assessed by surveys administered to both teachers and students.
- Researched scholarly articles relating information literacy, education, and society; presented findings at annual conference leading to invited participation as a presenter at National Information Literacy Conference.
Library Media Specialist Resume Sample 8
- Expertly researched new material on topics of interest.
- Collaborated with editors of journals, magazines, and newspapers to review new research on topics of interest.
- Organized databases efficiently.
- Author of numerous articles in academic journals, popular magazines, and newspaper columns on various research topics.
- Founded a feminist book review club at an all-female college which then began publishing feminist literature in its own periodical journal.
Library Media Specialist Resume Sample 9
- Created original reference materials for school, government, and business.
- Served as project coordinator for research, development, and testing of educational software applications.
- Assisted in selection process to select winners in national, state, and regional research contests.
- Collaborated with other departments to direct coordination of distance learning programs through the use of computer information networks.
- Conducted research studies for students in various disciplines relating to learning disabilities related to learning processes.
Library Media Specialist Resume Sample 10
- Administered the Research Library for professional and faculty librarians.
- Selected, organized, donated, and offered acquisitions of books, periodicals, media materials, government publications materials to the research community.
- Designed the space of the Research Library to provide comfortable reading environments.
- Facilitated interactions between constituents of the university through scheduled building tours on campus.
- Provided instruction to the public on alternative methods of accessing information.
Library Media Specialist Resume Sample 11
- Recreated library’s web presence to support the needs of the school community.
- Coordinated targeted professional development to assist staff members with technology integration.
- Collaborated effectively with school principals, teachers, and Parent-Teacher Association for shared use of audio-visual equipment.
- Provided customized curriculum selections for children from diverse cultures and language backgrounds.
- Visited local business office to discuss new technology integration during annual summer staff retreat.
Library Media Specialist Resume Sample 12
- Automated catalog system, established an online public access catalog, and helped renew full accreditation by the American Association of School Librarians.
- Revised library’s grant project to provide grant money for purchasing e-book readers for children.
- Restructured library’s reading program to focus on language learning, rather than learning how to read.
- Organized national book fair with help from public school students who volunteered to assist during two book fair days.
- Selected by local chapter of the First Book organization as one among ten library media specialists across the nation who will receive $1000 grant for collection development of materials that will promote literacy for young children.
To be a library media specialist you must have a master’s degree in Library Sciences, hold state licensure, and in some states hold a degree in teaching. Library media specialists must demonstrate talent in researching, instructional capabilities, skill in event planning, knowledge of data cataloging, strong communication skills, computer proficiency, and talent with collaboration.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.