A floor technician will work to ensure that carpets and tiles in public places are clean and in good condition, and they utilize a variety of tools and chemicals to ensure that the job is done properly. The job is usually very physical in nature, and floor technicians also must move largw amounts of weight to open the door up to cleaning.
How to Become a Successful Floor Technician?
Most locations will only require a high school diploma or a GED for education, and will instead want you to have experience with cleaning or with some other kind of janitor work in the place of any kind of education.
Your first employment will most likely be as an assistant to a more experienced cleaner who will train you while typically having you move heavy equipment and gain the physical strength necessary to prepare the location for cleaning.
Once you have more experience you will likely begin using the chemicals and equipment yourself to clean and repair, and this will require you to be extra considerate of safety because if misused these materials can be very dangerous.
With enough experience of your own you can buy equipment and open a contracting business where you can hire out your services to businesses and set your own hours and prices, and perhaps hire employees of your own.
Running your own business will require you to have a very solid grasp of finance and scheduling, so taking local classes on entrepreneurship can make it easier for you to run this new business venture and grow your funds.
The Best Floor Technician Resume Samples
These are some examples of job descriptions we have handpicked from real Floor Technician resumes for your reference.
- Responsible for installation, repair, sand, buff and refinish hardwood floors for businesses, homes and new construction projects.
- Trained employees on flooring processes and procedures and provided feedback as needed.
- Conduct basic maintenance tasks to preserve equipment and move to storage location after use.
- Maintain fast and accurate service, positive guest relations, and ensure procedures are consistent with company quality standards.
- Inspect floor surfaces to ensure the condition is even enough for smooth floor material installation.
- Create smooth foundation by stapling Masonite or plywood over the floor or by brushing waterproof compound onto surface and filling cracks with plaster, putty, or grout to seal pores.
- Obtain floor plans or perform measurements to get floor size and estimate covering materials and amount of glue and padding required.
- Systemized inventory in the facility, such as cleaning utilities, machine accessories, etc.
- Met vital needs for clients and coworkers in order to maintain balance in working environment.
- Utilized eco-friendly equipment efficiently to accomplish tasks with conservation.
- Operated various apparatuses and machinery with care, diligence, and sufficiency.
- Perform cleaning and maintenance of all floor types while using proper floor care and preparation of all areas to be cleaned, buffed, stripped or waxed.
- Operate equipment used to maintain the facility such as buffers, scrubbing machines, vacuums (hand held and industrial size), and riding sweeper.
- Strive to maintain a safe working environment through the prevention of accidents, the preservation of the equipment, and the achievement of safe working practices.
- Stripping, scrubbing, mopping, burnishing, waxing, sealing and general maintaining of various hard floor surfaces including but not limited to VCT, concrete, ceramic tile, terrazzo, wood, asbestos tile, synthetic sports courts and linoleum.
- Sweep parking lots and hard surface play areas, painting lines and markings as needed in these areas.
- If needed cover for vacant Custodial Team positions including a Team Leader position.
- Followed daily, weekly and monthly cleaning schedules, cleaned assigned areas of building, including carpeted, slick floor and cement walkways.
- Provided slick floor services, such as stripping, waxing, spray buffing, sweeping, and mopping to include proper edging on all floor surfaces.
- Used both high speed and low speed buffers and burnishing equipment on slick floors, applied proper chemical for stripping, waxing and buffing of slick floors, using chemicals safety.
- Used slow speed carpet bonnetting machine on all carpeted floor, in a safe and efficient manner, cleans all carpet, used carpet extractor on all carpeted as scheduled.
- Responsible for the completion of all maintenance service requests as assigned.
- Knowledge of operating various pieces of equipment necessary to effectively perform job functions; high speed buffer, extractor, wet vac, pressure washer and auto scrubber.
- Knowledgeable in emergency procedures and safety codes.
- Followed daily, weekly, and monthly cleaning schedules, cleaned assigned areas of building, including carpeted, slick floor, and cement walkways.
- Provided slick floor services, such as stripping, waxing, spray buffing, sweeping, and mopping, to include proper edging on all floor surfaces.
- Used both high speed and low speed buffers and burnishing equipment on slick floors, applied proper chemical for stripping, waxing, and buffing of slick floors, using chemical safety.
- Used slow speed carpet bonneting machine on all carpeted floor, in a safe and efficient manner, cleans all carpet, used carpet extractor on all carpets as scheduled.
- Performs preventative maintenance check on all equipment prior to use at beginning and end of the shift.
- Handles floor care, including routine mopping (dry and damp), buffing and burnishing on hard surface.
- Provides floor maintenance; including but not limited to, vacuuming, shampooing, bonneting and extracting carpets, stairwells, and upholstery.
- Provides other cleaning services; such as, dusting, routine restroom, office, and classroom cleaning.
- Make sure that while they clean, they take care of all precautions so as not to cause any injuries to people walking on the floors or even themselves.
- Any other task related to the maintenance of the premises that is assigned to them by the department.
- Maintain an inventory and inform the department whenever there is need for more supplies.
- Perform proper techniques of floor care and preparation of areas to be cleaned, buffed, stripped, and waxed.
- Operated and maintained all floor cleaning and finishing equipment like floor buffers/burnishes and water extraction machine.
- Removed and transported all machinery as well properly cleaned after completing job.
- Provide excellent customer service to a diverse customer population.
- Provided remedial maintenance to emergency situation quickly and efficiently.
- Maintained a neat and professional work environment while sweeping, mopping, stripping, scrubbing and puffing floors daily to army standards.