City Managers are government employees responsible for ensuring the proper function of their city. They are in charge of approving or denying permits, licenses, and contracts; implementing city ordinances; directing the purchase of materials; selecting contractors; drafting contracts; making employee recommendations to the city council; and establishing policies. The top skills for this position are leadership, customer service, analytical skills, problem-solving skills, negotiation skills, and interpersonal skills. A bachelor’s degree is the minimum requirement for this position.
The Best City Manager Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real City Manager resumes for your reference.
- Manages budget, priorities requirements, personnel actions, and coordination with other agencies.
- Prioritizing critical public works activities and requirements within budgetary constraints.
- Develops personnel policies and a great working environment.
- Directed City Council to a balanced budget by controlling spending, streamlining services, and increasing revenues.
- Negotiated contracts for three new industrial parks and restructured zoning regulations for more profitable business enterprises.
- Established a strong working relationship with the local I.A.M. Business Agent.
- Sacramento Metropolitan Art Commission selection committee member for the purpose of selecting an artist for a Public Art commission.
- Successfully completed five California Highway Patrol Level-Three Audit inspections in four calendar years.
- Budgeted and planned for community revitalization by securing grants, hiring architects, and initiating a planning committee.
- Expanded annual property tax from $11 million to $24 million by encouraging building renovation and establishing new industries.
- Built relationships with customers and the community to promote long-term business growth.
- Maintained knowledge of current sales and promotions, policies regarding payment and exchanges, and security practices.
- Consulted with businesses to supply accurate product and service information.
- Prospected and conducted face-to-face sales calls with business executives and directors throughout assigned territory.
- Coordinated the efforts of six city departments to improve customer service; reduced waiting time at city hall from five hours to forty minutes.
- Responsible for preparing and presenting the annual operating and capital budgets.
- Work with City Council in identifying strategic partnership opportunities to sustain and enhance the community quality of life attractions and health amenities.
- Involve staff with developing strategies to improve operational processes and procedures and customer service.
- Coordinated February 2003 budget for city operations.
- Managed the development and implementation of the Strategic Plan for the City of San Jose (2002 to 2004).
- Increased efficiencies and reduced general fund expenses by 20% through privatization of various services.
- Secured a grant from Major League Baseball to assist in renovating two baseball fields.
- Currently overseeing the planning and construction of a new 7,200 square foot library facility.
- Oversaw the restructuring and reorganization of City departments.
- Developed a consistent meeting agenda and structure, planning tools, and training programs for regular meetings with City Council.
- Established economic development department to market city and retain and recruit businesses.
- Created economic development incentives and abatement programs to attract business investment.
- Negotiated economic incentives for the construction of two four-story hotels in the City (La Quinta & Comfort Inn Suites).
- Facilitated 56 home subdivision development including resolving platting, zoning, and development standard items.
- Executed a full two-year business and marketing plan which increased visitor attendance by 20% and increased the city’s annual profit by $3 million.
- Monitor compliance with health and fire regulations regarding food preparation and serving, and building maintenance in lodging and dining facilities.
- Monitor food preparation methods, portion sizes, and garnishing and presentation of food to ensure that food is prepared and presented in an acceptable manner.
- Investigate and resolve complaints regarding food quality, service, or accommodations.
- Restructured the city’s administrative services, saving $1 million annually.
- Won national acclaim by winning a grant to fund the city’s first community center for low-income families.
- Coordinate and supervise daily and weekly marketing times for myself and all employees.
- Development of spreadsheets to track cold calls and sales calls for me as well as all employees.
- Daily use of Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Task Handler to stay organized and keep on top of deadlines for reports and various job duties of management.
- Obtained approval for funding to remove blighted buildings and construct new housing units, increasing property values in the neighborhood.
- Recruited experienced technicians and full-time employees to work with limited funding, maintaining an A rating with all auditors.
- Oversee tenant relations and management of senior housing communities totaling 800+units.
- Hold bottom-line responsibility for end-to-end property management functions, including resident relations, facility security/ maintenance, and oversight of contracted services.
- Maintain proactive focus on sustaining full occupancy levels.
- Respected and mentored diverse groups of employees, customers, and city partners through strategic planning, decision-making, leadership development, and teamwork.
- Overcame several challenges with vision and determination to provide strategies to improve parks and housing conditions.
- Conducts clerical, administration, and customer service duties, that are specialized for municipal services.
- Draft by-laws and agendas for the town or city council.
- Record the minutes of a council meeting, responds to official correspondence.
- Prepares reports about civic needs and maintains fiscal accounts and records.
- Collaborated successfully with two mayors to bring the city’s financial situation back into the black.
- High-level account management and coached community manager on day-to-day account management.
- Ensure financial and growth goals are met, including reporting weekly progress against goals to co- founders.
- Develop company operational processes/standards and assist in re-organization of company repository.
- Managed a team of 10, training on brand, situational awareness, and ensuring quick growth.
- Developed a network of community leaders for future policy development in partnership with the school board, park board, and police commission.
- Manage a team of 12 field technicians, staff schedules, warehouse inventory as well as handle any customer escalations.
- Work service repair calls, fix broken springs, cables, programming remotes, and adjust safety eyes.
- Install new and replacement openers, doors, sections, and tracks.
- Measure spaces for quotes; provide on-site troubleshooting and customer service.
- Maintained a clean facility while managing staff redundancies as director of parks department during numerous state inspections.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.