A Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for recruiting volunteers to assist with various tasks related to running a charity, non-profit or volunteer service center. Duties include keeping track of the number of available volunteers, interviewing prospective candidates, managing applications/paperwork/background checks, training new recruits on how to best use their time while volunteering and working within the parameters of the organization’s established schedule. The top skills for this position are customer service flexibility, strong leadership abilities including self-motivation and a willingness to stand up for what you believe in while still being open to others’ viewpoints and opinions. A Bachelor’s degree is required but previous experience in an administrative or customer service setting can be helpful.
The Best Volunteer Coordinator Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Volunteer Coordinator resumes for your reference.
- Coordinating, scheduling, and supervising volunteers and providing direction, coordination, and consultation for all of the Volunteers.
- Seek and generate new Volunteers using various marketing tools, including volunteer databases, e-mail letters, and outreach events.
- Working with Marketing and Public Relations and professional associations to publicize opportunities for Volunteers.
- Training and educating Volunteers on Rules and regulations of the company and Health Care Policies such as HIPPA, Sexual Harassment, and the Conflict of Interest.
- Identified, recruited, and retained 25 active volunteers who performed 1,200 hours of volunteerism for a non-profit.
- Ensure outstanding customer service is given to locate and/or order books and complete sales.
- Resolve complaints or queries effectively, working with customers and management as needed.
- Recover store to meet high standards of visual merchandising.
- Assisted with the planning and coordination of three fundraising events that raised $40,000 for the organization.
- Managed and directed clerical duties for 20 annual events which included record keeping and reports on attendance, budgeting and financials, correspondence with vendors, sponsorships, and media publicity.
- Build and sustain relationships with local community leaders and businesses.
- Lead and oversee classes and programs including pre-school, English, surf, outreach mentorship, and summer school.
- Organize various social activities for volunteers and the communities/students served such as welcome and goodbye events, surfing and beach trips, cultural immersion outings, and other various tours.
- Collaborated with board members on legislation that was passed unanimously by the city council to reduce residents’ utility rates by 15% over a two-year period.
- Provided logistical support during disasters to ensure funding was available to families affected by flooding in their homes.
- Supervised and monitored over 200 volunteers in their duties and tasks.
- Assisted in maintaining volunteering services for over 20 departments, documented correspondence, coordinated and arranged events, interviewed new participate sites and regulated the flow of assistance in needed units.
- Ordered supplies, and assisted volunteers in successfully getting hired by referrals.
- Enhanced school-based activities for close to 2,000 students in the Elementary, Middle School, and High School divisions.
- Increased voter participation by 33% in the County elections; promoted voting responsibility and participation among over 150 students from underprivileged areas.
- Established volunteer needs by collaborating with agency coordinators, directors, and board members.
- Coordinated school groups and conducted school presentations on hunger and homelessness.
- Developed policies and procedures for recruiting, training, and placing volunteers.
- Coordinated corporate teams (Morgan Stanley, NatWest Markets, Synchrony Financial, Pepsico).
- Volunteered 20 hours per week for five years; designed school assemblies, directed both on-stage and behind-the-scenes performances, and created/supervised student production crews.
- Developed a recruitment strategy for acquiring 180 volunteers with 2600 hours of volunteer service.
- Implemented a volunteer database to track personal information and service hour accrual of volunteers.
- Identified and liaised with 30 different organizations for one-time corporate, university, and alumni events.
- Redirected student resources to enhance campus aesthetics; balanced school budget by $25K annually over five years.
- Worked with 15 volunteers (from 1 to 14 years old) to publish and distribute 34,000 copies of a monthly newspaper.
- Report food quality control issues to the agency’s food vendor, ensuring that the highest possible nutritional standards are upheld.
- Responsible for the creation of monthly, quarterly and semiannual reports for government and social service agencies outlining goals met, clients served and food units ordered and distributed.
- Input reporting data into databases, EXCEL spreadsheets, and WORD documents.
- Manage the Friendly Visitor and Telephone Reassurance programs for the agency’s frail, homebound, elderly clients.
- Trained 11 new volunteers (from 1 to 8 years old) in responsibilities and techniques of child care, storytelling, and cooking.
- Liaison between corporate and educational organizations and LSNC to promote and implement participation in our community service programs.
- Staff exhibition booths at colleges such as Fordham University to solicit student volunteers.
- Respond to new inquiries regarding volunteer opportunities, conduct tours, and match volunteers to assignments.
- Follow up with volunteers and reassign as necessary to achieve the optimum match.
- Assist department directors in programming, staffing, and creating new and rewarding experiences for both center clients and volunteers.
- Responsible for purchasing, cleaning, and maintaining items needed for events.
- Directed and coordinated activities of volunteers for events, workshops, and programs.
- Monitored and reviewed programming to ensure that schedules are met, guidelines are adhered to, and performances are of adequate quality.
- Achieved annual participation at the National Child Care Conference by training 12 childcare workers (ages 16-21).
- Enjoyed training 4 new volunteers on the skills of friendship development and compassion for those with special needs during weekly car washing and outdoor hikes.
- Matched volunteers with clients based on intake interviews and consultations with clients’ case managers and social workers and the clients themselves and the prospective volunteers.
- Cultivated relationships with area churches, synagogues, schools, and corporate organizations to expand the ranks of volunteers.
- Organized local advertising and public relations activities related to three volunteer/client programs.
- Maintained an ongoing email list, and excel spreadsheets and send information to volunteers as needed.
- Coordinated volunteer efforts in the community to raise funds for charity.
- Educated youth about the fundamentals of basketball; structure, discipline, and respect.
- Utilized effective communication skills and created healthy interpersonal relationships.
- Prepared and discussed the list of eligibility with the Athletic Manager to recruit players accordingly.
- Coordinated various sports facilities for teams competing in sporting events.
- Managed a database of volunteers who worked at the homeless shelter, library, hospital, and other nonprofit institutions.
- Conducted interviews with prospective volunteers in order to assess appropriateness for placement with terminally ill patients.
- Recruited, trained, and coordinated hospice program volunteers, who serve patients with life-limiting illnesses and families who are facing end-of-life issues.
- Organized individual and group training sessions in accordance with Joint Commission standards for incoming volunteers in order to prepare them for field experience with hospice patients.
- Supervised initial volunteer-patient visits to ensure a level of comfort between patient and volunteer, as well as assessed competency of volunteer.
- Volunteered at the soup kitchen and assisted homeless individuals in many different ways by making their meals, cleaning their rooms, distributing their clothing and supplies; including offering support by directly helping them reach goals like seeking employment or permanent housing.
How to Become a Successful Volunteer Coordinator?
Though there are no official educational requirements, a program that teaches you all the essentials of management and financial administration will make you a much more valuable candidate to employers, and minimize the amount of training you will have to accomplish once you are hired.
There are many charitable organizations, and the type you choose to work for will vary greatly depending on your interests. Some are dedicated to gathering food and supplies for the needy, while others clean up areas with pollution, and others are dedicated to research for various kinds of diseases.
You will be in charge of the people who dedicate their time and energy to the cause, and while they’re usually working for free, you will still want to dedicate yourself to ensure they are taken care of. Volunteers who have a good experience are far more likely to return in the future.
Even if volunteers often work for free, the supplies they need are not, and you will need to ensure that the money is there to get them what they need to do a successful job. Failure to provide these resources may save money, but it will be hard on the charity, so always remember to keep everything in stock.
In some of the most important charities across the world, volunteers are the backbone to ensuring their important and often lifesaving work still gets done. A volunteer coordinator has the very important task of ensuring that these selfless volunteers get where they need to be and making sure that they have the skills and training to get their jobs done.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.
- The Best Volunteer Coordinator Resume Samples
- How to Become a Successful Volunteer Coordinator?
- Wrap Up