Summer counselors supervise child campers and provide a safe and enjoyable camp experience. They are responsible for leading and supporting a group of campers, coordinating and organizing programs and activities, resolving any conflicts between campers, keeping track of any camper dietary restrictions and health issues, monitoring campers to ensure compliance with camp rules, and working with senior managers to ensure the safety and well-being of campers.
Summer counselors must have a high school diploma or equivalent along with 1-2 years of experience with childcare, teaching or camp counseling, with CPR and First Aid certification preferred. Summer counselors must be creative and patient, possess strong leadership skills, enjoy working and engaging with young children, have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, have experience with conflict mediation, is able to multi-task, and has a physical ability to participate in active activities and support the weight of children.
For many people, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Summer Counselor Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Summer Counselor resumes for your reference.
Summer Counselor Resume Sample 1
- Worked with teenagers in a wide variety of recreational jobs.
- Supported individual development through focus on advancement, promotion, and recognition for employees.
- Provided training and orientation which successfully prepared new counselor for job responsibilities; recognized by the camp director for outstanding performance.
- Promoted to assistant head counselor position due to superior interpersonal skills and ability to work well with fellow counselors, employers, clients, customers, etc., even during tense situations.
- Attained Job Coach position after coordinating summer activities with various departments at camp; initiated improvement in production time after identifying bottlenecks in scheduling system.
Summer Counselor Resume Sample 2
- Routinely recorded observations of children in care while completing daily supply and activity forms for documentation.
- Provided curriculum guidance to assist teachers in lesson planning that correlated with school district curriculum standards.
- Organized, lead, supervised, and instructed team-building activities for twenty 6-12 year olds.
- Facilitated learning by designing developmentally appropriate games, creating scripts, puppet making, props building, skits to exercise social skills.
- Taught effective problem solving strategies through creative arts therapy exercises including cooking lessons for self-expression.
Summer Counselor Resume Sample 3
- Utilize creative and learning skills to enhance children’s performance in activities such as arts and crafts, sports, and games.
- Promoted child development through daily communication with parents; encouraged parent’s involvement when needed by resolving issues or referring them to the lead counselor.
- Engage in professional growth through professional organization involvement; presented at annual conferences on topics such as social-emotional development, summer camp activities, and behavior management techniques.
- Mentored several students who were struggling in their grade level through a new educational program of math concepts including fractions and decimals.
- Assisted high school students in gaining college credit during a six week study abroad trip where they volunteered in orphanages and schools.
Summer Counselor Resume Sample 4
- Provided a fun-filled summer for over 20 children by supervising their daily schedule, organizing activities, leading outdoor playtime, planning nutritious meals, and completing incident reports.
- Developed an appreciation for the arts through private instruction in music and dance.
- Gently inspired children to develop reading skills by reading aloud at least 30 books per week.
- Imparted knowledge of personal hygiene, positive social interaction, and cleanliness during daily sessions of group care.
- Created a welcoming environment for new students to learn self-control after creating lesson plans to teach age appropriate lessons on sharing space with others.
Summer Counselor Resume Sample 5
- Maintained high children to counselor ratio (14:1) for safety and security of all campers.
- Promoted positive body image by encouraging participation in recreational activities that improve health, fitness, and skill performance; enjoyed low staff turnover rate throughout the summer season.
- Achieved 100% customer satisfaction report via weekly parent surveys; recognized by head office as an exceptional performer.
- Developed individualized plans to support emotional needs of children based on strengths/needs assessments; demonstrated values consistent with company mission statement during recruitment phase.
- Secured “No Absenteeism Award” for both 1st Semester and Full Academic Year by consecutively perfect attendance records.
Summer Counselor Resume Sample 6
- Conducted small group activities to promote physical, social, emotional and intellectual growth.
- Advocated for children with special needs by communicating concerns to company management.
- Provided training in First Aid/CPR, Social Skills, Child Abuse Prevention, Food Handling Safety, etc.
- Trained six new counselors on how to run camps this summer; recognized for outstanding performance by the Assistant Director of Camping Services.
- Collaborated with staff members during daily story time sessions; inspired children to read books.
Summer Counselor Resume Sample 7
- Trained children by developing games that promoted physical activity while exercising their bodies and stimulating their minds.
- Instructed boys in playing chess; learned the value of the game, which encourages logical thinking.
- Encouraged self-confidence, responsibility, sportsmanship, fair play, courtesy, cooperation, respect for authority, courage in adversity, discipline in school work during 6 weeks of summer camp.
- Celebrated life through positive reinforcement during weekly archery sessions by demonstrating an appreciation for culture and heritage.
- Promoted cultural diversity with Spanish speaking students each week through songs and activities that engaged them into learning about Hispanic Heritage Month.
Summer Counselor Resume Sample 8
- Watched over 100 children in 47 different age groups for 7 consecutive summers.
- Handled difficult situations including physical altercations, mental stress, and emotional breakdowns with ease.
- Rehabilitated physically aggressive students by reinforcing positive behavior; recognized on staff for excellence in counseling skills.
- Prevented crisis situations that included suicide attempts, suicidal ideation, and self-mutilation by anticipating risk factors and intervening quickly.
- Effectively supervised two counselors while also planning field trips and daily activities; granted outstanding recommendation from the director of camp operations.
Summer Counselor Resume Sample 9
- Implemented daily activities, educational games and lessons that encouraged children to learn about conservation and environmentalism.
- Wrote recommendation letters for all 4-year olds applying for Kindergarten; characterized as a “great candidate” by the Assistant Director and program director of two preschools and one kindergarten.
- Implemented reading time after lunch; instilled love of literature in young minds through storytelling and book-related activities.
- Gained insight to globalization by teaching children aged 2-6 English phrases such as “Hello, My Name is Eric.”
- Implemented age appropriate curriculum based on weekly themes; recognized as top performer among staff who led summer programs at five independent schools.
Summer Counselor Resume Sample 10
- Organize, lead, and participate in educational activities for children grades K-8.
- Work with parents to address individual needs of students; ensure safety while maintaining appropriate discipline.
- Effectively supervised students’ behavior within the summer camp setting; maintain order during morning breakfast shift.
- Increase awareness of date rape among middle school girls by directing skit depicting its danger and consequences.
- Prepare forums to build self-esteem in troubled teenagers; mediate group discussions regarding drug use, school violence, peer pressure, and family relationships.
Summer Counselor Resume Sample 11
- Maximized the potential for learning of summer campers with disabilities by creating new variations, adaptations, and methods for them to participate in activities.
- Assisted children in developing self-confidence, exploring social skills, and finding individual talents while encouraging their natural creativity through art projects.
- Earned praise from parents for enhancing children’s speech abilities by directing speech therapy sessions according to state regulations.
- Received high evaluation scores from parents on parent questionnaires due to exceptional understanding of working with preschool students with mental disabilities.
- Effectively supported staff members by building teamwork among counselors, planning evenings events for children, resolving conflicts between employees amicably by providing mediation when necessary. Developed a team spirit.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.