A sailor works on a variety of ocean-going vessels. Duties are varied but include responsibilities such as handling mooring lines, standing watch, steering the ship, conducting maintenance, preparing deck equipment, and stowing gear.
For many, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Sailor Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Sailor resumes for your reference.
Sailor Resume Sample 1
- Performed duties as assigned by the commanding officers during times of peace and war; worked arduous hours that required extensive physical activity and mental challenges.
- Worked in a team environment to achieve successful results from missions that were conducted during the night, day, and during inclement weather conditions.
- Performed navigational duties using an array of navigational equipment including radar, GPS systems, underwater sound devices, compasses, star charts, and other tools at sea.
- Consistently achieved outstanding results from training exercises by adhering to Navy standards while working with a time-sensitive schedule at sea; trained on surface craft but preferred to operate submarines.
- Recognized as a high-ranking Training Specialist in the Navy; trained other seamen on the intricacies of seamanship, navigation, and submarine operations during practice missions.
Sailor Resume Sample 2
- Secured and prepared multiple vehicles for maintenance; ensured all paperwork was completed and delivered in a timely manner for review by the supervisor.
- Attained recognitions as Safety Sailor of the Quarter as well as Sailor of the Quarter; documented positive safety scores.
- Successfully secured military vehicles while in transit, an inspection of transportation.
- Achieved top score on driving skills test; was selected to operate a 10-ton semi during local training missions in preparation for deployment.
- Provided superior traffic control capabilities during combat operations.
Sailor Resume Sample 3
- Completed an 18-month tour of duty in a military environment.
- Concluded my tour of duty with an excellent fitness report.
- Completed a six-month tour of duty for the US Navy with an exceptional fitness report.
- Demonstrated my ability to be team-oriented by participating in several athletic endeavors including basketball, softball, and track & field.
- Inspired several teammates to dedicate their time and energy towards achieving excellence both on and off the athletic field.
Sailor Resume Sample 4
- Trained crew members in fire fighting procedures and navigation.
- Encouraged crew members to maintain discipline by enforcing military procedures and monitoring the condition of the engine.
- Cleaned ship hallways, doorways, and passageways; attended to any maintenance problems.
- Handled security checks, controlled access to classified information and materials; monitored the safety of sensitive items including fissile material.
- Wrote evaluations for fellow crew members using a formalized system that awarded points based on performance evaluation criteria, such as time management and teamwork; conducted performance evaluations with fellow employees.
Sailor Resume Sample 5
- Able to navigate the vessel through the fog without the use of the radar; safely delivered ship to port.
- A successfully navigated vessel through ice fields separating the ship from the land; earned commendation for quick thinking, precise maneuvering, and outstanding navigation.
- Received award for exemplary performance and initiative during a crisis; guiding the ship to safety despite a high degree of danger.
- Promoted to Chief Petty Officer after demonstrating outstanding leadership ability and exemplary performance in numerous crises where lives were at risk; received award as one of top 10% sailors in the fleet based on superior leadership skill, dedication to duty, and impeccable service record.
- Trained entire deck crew in navigation, including principles and procedures of celestial, electronic, and coastal navigation; second highest navigator on board of all ships in the fleet.
Sailor Resume Sample 6
- Held the “top sailor” status aboard USS John C. Stennis; readily managed assigned duties and responsibilities, and performed beyond expectations.
- Recognized as the “best sailor” during my first enlistment; maintained a highly effective working relationship with all personnel.
- Selected for promotion to E-5 after 12 months of active duty; established an outstanding work ethic and ensured a high level of productivity and efficiency in my section.
- Received numerous awards and letters of appreciation from my commanding officers for outstanding performance, meeting deadlines, and dedication to duty.
- Received a letter of commendation from the Commanding Officer of USS John C. Stennis for my outstanding performance in the ship’s engineering department.
Sailor Resume Sample 7
- Achieved over 100 training hours in the use of advanced radar equipment; dedicated and efficient, quickly responded to the needs of fellow seamen.
- Demonstrated exemplary ability to maintain aircraft readiness; recognized as a crew member who performed exceptional quality work.
- Acknowledged for outstanding achievements as a member of an inspection crew whose proficiency level exceeded all other crews on the station, 2005 – 2007.
- Selected by peers as one of the high-performance team members, 2004–2007.
- Received “C” School Certificate of Achievement, 2003; a source of pride for all shipmates assigned to USS “Saratoga” (CV-60).
Sailor Resume Sample 8
- Earned recognition as a Student Chief Petty Officer; advocated safety, preparedness, and training for all assigned personnel.
- Earned award for outstanding performance; successfully instructed junior sailors in the handling of equipment and the development of seamanship skills.
- Selected as best swimmer following a rigorous swim test; effectively fulfilled responsibilities as Senior Petty Officer in charge of teaching swimming and water rescue techniques.
- Trained junior sailors for annual physical fitness test; taught safe running techniques, proper breathing, and efficient methods of cooling-down after strenuous exercise.
- Received award for leaving no one behind; led sailors to safety during ship fire by locating smoke detectors and extinguishing flames.
Sailor Resume Sample 9
- Served as a crew member on board naval vessels; became crew chief and ship’s monitor; effectively cleaned and maintained the inside of ship while ensuring that all equipment was in proper working order.
- Supervised other crew members, ensuring that they performed their tasks and responsibilities with regard to the safety of personnel.
- Participated in non-combat missions such as underway replenishment operations.
- Refueling, rearming, and consolidating commands within the ship’s movement in coordination with ships’ officers; participated in high seas operations during combat missions.
- Served as bosun’s mate throughout his enlistment as he participated in bodyguard duties at high-security facilities.
Sailor Resume Sample 10
- Earned Excellence in Leadership Award, the highest staff honor offered by the US military.
- Successfully taught fellow Sailors how to complete documents while anticipating customer needs and completing audits.
- Received acknowledgment of outstanding service and demonstrated ability to improve others’ performance in accordance with U.S. Fleet Forces Command guidelines.
- Achieved second-class Honorable Discharge; successfully completed the course of instruction after being selected for an officer assignment at sea.
- Promoted to second-class Petty Officer; achieved the highest advancement rate and was accepted in a special program that offered training as an aviation machinist’s mate.
Sailor Resume Sample 11
- Advised on ship’s course corrections to the captain during fishing operations by calculating the degrees needed to avoid collision with ships.
- Prevented an oil spill from contaminating a state’s coastline by adjusting the ship’s propellers while at sea; informed authorities of actions taken.
- Set equipment configurations onboard small freighter ships and ferries by accepting instructions from shore-based management; reduced travel time between ports to two hours.
- Presented regulation updates and discussed crew concerns during meetings with fleet managers; highlighted crew scheduling problems.
- Provided resolutions to problems concerning payment discrepancies on a vessel leased by a company; calculated daily payments due for leased boats and yachts.
Sailor Resume Sample 12
- Performed assigned duties and responsibilities as directed in a timely, safe, and accurate manner.
- Recognized for performance award (APL) for outstanding performance during inspection of the ship. Coordinated with department heads in the planning and execution of various shipboard drills, including fire, flooding, and man overboard scenarios.
- Planned out specific details of shipboard assignments to ensure crew members understood their jobs prior to executing crew drills.
- Awarded achievement award (APL2) for completing a team A/B certification period without an incident or injury; successfully taught junior sailors firefighting techniques aboard ship.
- Selected as “Sailor of the Month” for excellent attendance, willingness to help others, and dedication to the ship.
Sailor Resume Sample 13
- Cross-trained to operate weapons systems in case of emergency during deployment.
- Trained others on ship’s communication equipment.
- Passed inspection by Fire Marshall; fire drills and lifeboat drills conducted as ordered.
- Earned Top Sailor Award for maintaining ship’s cleanliness on board.
- Ensured that the ship was secured from a potential terrorist attack based on electronic surveillance.
No specific educational requirements exist, and most training is conducted on-the-job, prior service in the Coast Guard or Navy is helpful. Preferred skills include maintenance related skills such as carpentry and welding, the ability to work in hazardous conditions, the ability to communicate clearly, attention to detail, the ability to understand and follow directions, and the ability to lift loads greater than 40 pounds.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.
- The Best Sailor Resume Samples
- Wrap Up