Penetration testers are known as “ethical hackers;” penetration testers attempt to breach security systems to ensure safety from unauthorized access. Duties include conducting test on networks and applications, performing assessments on physical security, conducting security audits, designing solutions to common issues, analyzing security policies, and writing reports.
For many, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Penetration Tester Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Penetration Tester resumes for your reference.
Penetration Tester Resume Sample 1
- Penetrated cloud-based network interfaces using custom built tools, covering authentication and authorization protocols.
- Performed application penetration testing on web applications for corporate online banking customers, identified vulnerabilities leading to client/server side script injection.
- Assisted with internal development of the latest edition of the standard pen-test methodology.
- Spearheaded internal initiatives regarding server hardening, security monitoring, and virtual patching.
- Conducted penetration tests against variety of platforms for government clients’ classified networks; prepared reports that led to security upgrades in place systems.
Penetration Tester Resume Sample 2
- Enacted a new approach to pen testing, reducing the overall time required from eight weeks to only one week.
- Participated in an international conference, Penetration Testing Execution Standard (PTES) , as a panel speaker and presenter on the benefits of using exploit frameworks as part of penetration testing process.
- Commended by CEO for developing a new application that identified vulnerabilities within our corporate network.
- Identified weaknesses during security assessments at multiple firms involving internal networks and web applications.
- Achieved status as a Microsoft Certified IT Professional for Networking with Security . Lead hardware specialist for company’s security team supporting Cisco routers and switches; created best practices documents and training material for internal use.
Penetration Tester Resume Sample 3
- In three months, executed over 75 security audits against major financial institutions, increasing security effectiveness by 10%.
- Completed testing of 24 web sites for insufficient input validation vulnerabilities within budget and on-time.
- Identified employees with elevated access to sensitive information via a granular audit that highlighted specific risks in an organization’s infrastructure.
- Penetrated three different organizations’ networks from six locations around the world within a 24 hour time frame.
- Implemented new penetration methodologies designed to evade network detection systems not previously detected by Comcast security tests. Notably received commendation from analyst group leader after penetrating Comcast undetected using new methodology developed at 21st Annual Cryptographer conference held in China two years prior to testing.
Penetration Tester Resume Sample 4
- Reconstructed original programs from production code, including identifying and/or fixing defects to meet the agreed-upon security criteria.
- Reported results of penetration tests to senior management in a manner that allowed for prioritizing remediation efforts across an enterprise network with over 500 discrete systems.
- Identified several key system vulnerabilities within Internet facing systems by crafting packets that were able to bypass normal operating system controls, allowing unauthorized access into the server.
- Developed new penetration testing tools used by all employees in support of proactive measures against future hacking threats.
- Authored white paper on ways in which networking engineers could develop more secure networks through better addressing specific threat vectors with an emphasis on encryption usage across the enterprise.
Penetration Tester Resume Sample 5
- Penetrated numerous systems in a secure, remote manner while upholding client confidentiality.
- Troubled over 100 accounts to gain unauthorized access.
- Detected vulnerabilities unknown to clients and reported details of exploits via cleanly-formatted reports with recommendations for correction.
- Innovated new industry standard for reporting time frames which were criticized by peers, but praised by supervisors for being extremely accurate down to the second.
- Authored an automated tool that enabled automated remote scanning of all known system vulnerabilities, then compiled results into neatly-formatted reports without error.
Penetration Tester Resume Sample 6
- Successfully executed multiple penetration tests for external and internal network hosts.
- Identified critical vulnerabilities within a large bank’s application through fuzz testing, allowing the security department to deploy patches before any damage was done due to exploitation.
- Authored an article on e-commerce software testing that was published in a periodical for Internet developers.
- Enlisted as a Security Analyst by the United States Department of Homeland Security where I conducted penetration tests and documented recommended changes for greater information security awareness.
- Provided expert testimony at trial concerning computer forensics; assisted with preparation of case documentation and technical data analysis (including relevant source code) used during court proceedings.Performed network vulnerability assessments and penetration tests.
Penetration Tester Resume Sample 7
- Pioneered new penetration testing methodologies and tools that achieved 100% success rate in 25 consecutive test engagements.
- Revealed vulnerabilities, configuration errors, and improper patching of networked systems to exploit access to sensitive information during three high-risk security audits.
- Authored several articles for industry publications on emerging application security concerns.
- Completed CERT Secure Coding training within one month after joining company to raise awareness regarding software security issues throughout organization’s development pipeline.
- Spearheaded adoption of Coverity static analysis tool across development teams as part of company-wide initiative to improve code quality and reliability.
Penetration Tester Resume Sample 8
- Proven success by uncovering and reporting over 100 vulnerabilities in the information systems of major credit card companies.
- Tested and reviewed firewall patch installation with a focus on load balancing and performance-related issues.
- Identified and exploited several significant security flaws into the organizations’ networks, including malware infections and backdoors in web application firewalls.
- Pioneered intrusion testing methodologies through the development of assessment tools, penetration testing techniques, and exploitation chains for high severity vulnerabilities. Wrote reports detailing results of assessments within strict timeframes per client requests.
- Achieved PCI certification in Penetration Testing; contributed to top level security qualifications when assessed future cyber threats and performed security risk assessments.
Penetration Tester Resume Sample 9
- Excited about working with a team of writers, artists, and engineers to create amazing games that you can play on your mobile device.
- Delivered multiple successful penetration tests under strict deadlines for clients including cross-site scripting, SQL injections, session management issues, and malware vulnerabilities.
- Identified critical security vulnerabilities in a large web application with over ten million lines of code in less than three weeks after being hired as a Penetration Testing Engineer.
- Gained extensive experience in vulnerability analysis with tools such as Core Impact Pro and CANVAS by conducting world-class client engagements.
- Ranked #1 within the organization based on number of reported findings per day; developed an automated tool to automatically generate reports.
Penetration Tester Resume Sample 10
- Owned the security penetration testing strategy, scope, and methodology for enterprise-wide deployments.
- Authored several technical white papers that presented innovative methodologies to reliably prioritize high exposure vulnerabilities.
- Collaborated with development teams to design and implement security recommendations into software releases before product release date.
- Tested all levels of information systems infrastructure including web applications, networks, servers, operating systems, databases, mobile devices and protocols.
- Certified as a penetration tester by the EC Council; gave compelling evidence of extensive knowledge regarding organizational risk management methods.
Penetration Tester Resume Sample 11
- Identified and documented new vulnerabilities in web applications while utilizing cutting edge technologies to discover weaknesses.
- Created a security assessment platform on Linux which improved testing efficiency by 30% and allowed scanning on an internal network without affecting the system.
- Provided clear status reports of vulnerability analysis, threat identification, and penetration countermeasures while collaborating with development teams.
- Authored technical content for the company blogs while teaching others about penetration testing methods and techniques.
- Spearheaded innovative analysis during reverse engineering of mobile malwares; discovered zero-day Android exploit using debuggers, disassemblers, and SDKs.
Employers prefer those with a bachelor’s degree in information technology or related field, although formal education requirements are not always in place. Troubleshooting skills, communication, proficiency in programming languages, proficiency in multiple operating systems, knowledge of security frameworks, scripting skills, and analytical skills are essential.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.
- The Best Penetration Tester Resume Samples
- Penetration Tester Resume Sample 1
- Penetration Tester Resume Sample 2
- Penetration Tester Resume Sample 3
- Penetration Tester Resume Sample 4
- Penetration Tester Resume Sample 5
- Penetration Tester Resume Sample 6
- Penetration Tester Resume Sample 7
- Penetration Tester Resume Sample 8
- Penetration Tester Resume Sample 9
- Penetration Tester Resume Sample 10
- Penetration Tester Resume Sample 11
- Wrap Up