A News Director oversees the news staff and daily operations of the department. Their duties include reviewing stories and journalistic content, hiring, and training news staff, maintaining news equipment inventory, developing and managing the annual budget, assigning coverage of news stories to reporters, researching and evaluating news leads, monitoring new equipment usage, and evaluating personnel performance. To be a News Director, you need to have a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, or a related field and previous experience in a media or journalism position. News Directors should demonstrate excellent communication skills, journalistic research abilities, knowledge of news reporting techniques and procedures, understanding of protocols and regulations of news delivery, outstanding journalism writing skills, as well as strong leadership and interpersonal skills.
For many people, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best News Director Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real News Director resumes for your reference.
News Director Resume Sample 1
- Maintained a staff of twenty reporters and editors through successful leadership, intelligence, and decision making abilities.
- Identified newsworthy stories in all major areas of interest; increased market share by 30% over the past three years.
- Created one new program each week for five years while growing the viewership from 1,000 to over 100,000 weekly participants.
- Updated existing programs to include interactive technology including live webcams and chat rooms with video capabilities.
- Presented an Emmy award winning documentary on human trafficking and exposed slavery in Malaysia during six months of research and production work.
News Director Resume Sample 2
- Gained an ability to multitask and efficiently allocate time, staff and office resources under strict deadlines.
- Spearheaded a complete rebranding of newsroom design and equipment standards.
- Pioneered the first live-to-tape computer graphics process; ensured timely delivery of significant breaking stories before airtime.
- Solved the problem of redundancies in commercial overlays by photographing weather, sports, and reporter segments on location.
- Initiated daily coverage for local high school football games as part of weekday morning newscasts.
News Director Resume Sample 3
- Implemented new online submissions process for press releases, which increased average daily submissions by 23%.
- Attained #1 viewership ratings in local news market during timeslot following major network prime news.
- Developed an improved system for collaboration between news departments to increase coverage area by 22%.
- Built a more effective team of reporters with previous experience in multi-city metropolitan areas to achieve 69% greater productivity from the same staff.
- Earned three Emmy nominations, one Emmy win, and two Golden Mike Awards for excellence in journalism.
News Director Resume Sample 4
- Launched weekly news magazine; increased viewership by 18%, received two community service awards.
- Led 22-person team in safely evacuating crew, staff, and studio equipment when fire alarms sounded at the building; recognized by management for outstanding courage under pressure.
- Expanded journalistic boundaries in the region, earning six honors for accurate information provided during live events.
- Maintained highest standards for accuracy in reporting while managing three daily newscasts; awarded for excellence in journalism five years running.
- Promoted to assistant regional manager after seven successful years as a news director, responsible for crisis prevention through continued media training.
News Director Resume Sample 5
- Led a team of 12 reporters, writers, and producers to double both viewership and revenue for the evening news.
- Rapidly increased circulation for weekly community newspaper by 20 percent within one year; earned additional $10,000 monthly from marketing ads.
- Pioneered multimedia initiative with affiliate television stations to lead local coverage of breaking news events including natural disasters and elections.
- Oversaw extensive website redesign project including mobile compatibility and RSS integration; created new functionalities such as newsletter subscriptions and Google Maps.
- News Director named “Best in State” for excellence in journalism by Society of Professional Journalists; received national recognition during statewide competition.
News Director Resume Sample 6
- Oversaw daily news coverage for major newscast.
- Launched weekly series that included public debates, editorial panels, and senatorial interviews.
- Identified innovative revenue streams during first month of employment exceeding percentage goals by 22%.
- Increased viewership by 19% in first year of on-air position.
- Collaborated with producers to secure first nationally televised field interview with John Kerry three months after 9/11 attacks.
News Director Resume Sample 7
- Led anchor team to ratings victory in major market.
- Transformed newsroom culture by developing cross-platform journalism skills.
- Tracked down leads and prepared stories for national news network.
- Profiled business and community leaders; earned editor’s choice award for balanced reporting on important issues of the day.
- Developed broadcast with an audience share of more than 40%.
News Director Resume Sample 8
- Managed a team of eight reporters and editors, successfully producing over 25 newscasts each week.
- Trained reporters on how to produce quality video packages relevant to our target audience.
- Promoted from Assistant News Director with a salary increase of $12,000 per year; recognized by parent company as an outstanding manager.
- Selected to attend the National Broadcast Education Association’s Annual Convention for my work-related accomplishments in broadcast journalism education.
- Pioneered efforts in developing human interest stories that have been instrumental in improving community relations.
News Director Resume Sample 9
- Negotiated new contracts with newspaper, print media, and television affiliates that saved the station over $5 million annually.
- Managed multi-state AM talk show network for premier news media group, increasing market share by 20+%.
- Oversaw daily operations for station bringing it to number one in market share.
- Developed strategies and implementation plans as a Senior Account Executive; secured over $400 million in advertising revenue.
- Collaborated with producers to ensure timely coverage of breaking news stories; recognized as an industry leader for breaking story on local school shooting.
News Director Resume Sample 10
- Improved news rating by 5% and profit margin by 12%; recognized as a leading figure in the company.
- Launched first morning news show, “Good Morning Philadelphia,” which brought first place rating; selected as one of Philadelphia’s most eligible bachelors by local newspapers.
- Awarded Excellence in Writing for Editorial section; produced two-time winner of Delaware Press Association (DPA) award for Best Writing on Civic Affairs.
- Increased market share from 1 to 11% within six months with 20-station network affiliate agreement which garnered over 3 million viewers weekly.
- Assisted in planning United Way broadcast campaign which raised $33,000 during 6 AM hour broadcast to benefit United Way of Southeastern Pennsylvania.
News Director Resume Sample 11
- Generated revenue of $3.5 million in television advertising for network affiliate, including New York area; earned call-out on national media outlets.
- As Assistant News Director, recognized by peers with best managing team award; acknowledged for effective communication skills and leadership abilities.
- Pioneered newscast with exclusive content targeted to African American audience; increased viewership 7%.
- Via web, blog entries, social networking sites, and live interviews broadcast news coverage globally via internet.
- Promoted extensive print media among youth population through maintaining contact list of 11,000 students/teachers/schools.
News Director Resume Sample 12
- Prepared the news for broadcast at 9 p.m., including script writing, editing, and on-camera anchor introductions.
- Composed daily scripts of eight talking points to create news stories that best addressed the needs of each demographic; led audience to highest ratings ever achieved by program.
- Proven interest in more than print journalism with work on multiple platforms including social media tools like Facebook and Twitter, blogging ,and video production (TV newscast).
- Achieved award for excellence in multi-platform reporting; recognized by peers as a storyteller who is both resourceful and insightful.
- Provided leadership during crisis situations, including one instance where I salvaged the only copy of a video segment after equipment malfunction.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.