Medical information specialists provide data on patient histories and organize information in databases for insurance reimbursement. Their duties include proofreading records for accuracy, coding, managing information for databases, recording and storing data, keeping records confidential, and monitoring medical development and outcomes.
For many, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Medical Information Specialist Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Medical Information Specialist resumes for your reference.
Medical Information Specialist Resume Sample 1
- Processed and tracked all medical information requests in a timely manner according to set protocols.
- Demonstrated excellent data entry skills, accurately entering over 95% of all information into the database.
- Recognized for outstanding customer service; effectively addressed the needs and concerns of patients and their families.
- Awarded for meeting customer satisfaction guidelines based on patient survey ratings.
- Received outstanding quality award for compiling data relating to patient records in an accurate and timely manner.
Medical Information Specialist Resume Sample 2
- Successfully gathered and entered patient demographic data into the electronic health record (EHR) system in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated excellent attention to detail in reviewing patients’ charts for accuracy prior to patient appointments.
- Answered phones and triaged calls within the clinic’s call center according to established protocols.
- Assisted with preparing and organizing materials for patient visits as needed.
- Provided clear and concise documentation of all interactions within the EHR system.
Medical Information Specialist Resume Sample 3
- Gathered, analyzed, and collated patient data for use by nursing staff.
- Monitored, controlled, and reported on daily medication inventory.
- Translated medical terminologies into plain language for patients and families regarding diagnosis and treatment plans in a way that could be readily understood.
- Organized daily conference with attending physicians to discuss patient issues in a concise manner that focused on the best interests of each patient’s recovery process.
- Implemented customer service initiatives to provide medical equipment within 24 hours from time of request in order to ensure prompt access to medical supplies.
Medical Information Specialist Resume Sample 4
- Researched, analyzed, and interpreted medical information to resolve case studies.
- Selected appropriate supplies for delivery based on inventory. Maintained effective communication between doctors, nurses, administration, laboratories, pharmacies, patients/families/customers in order to process patient service in an efficient manner.
- Created marketing brochures by compiling data from multiple sources.
- Trained new employees in computer software programs including HIPAA regulations. Provided phone coverage for the Information Desk while the regular staff attended monthly training sessions.
- Developed work schedules ensuring coverage of all unit activities; redesigned standard operating procedures (SOPs) and shared new information with other departmental staff members to improve patient care and customer service.
Medical Information Specialist Resume Sample 5
- Provided telephone support to doctors, staff, and patients while maintaining customer satisfaction by following proper policies and procedures.
- Assisted patients in the medical office by completing necessary forms.
- Maintained patient confidentiality by following HIPAA guidelines.
- Organized financial documentation for billing; provided information to Insurance Company representatives during data entry into system.
- Aided physicians with intake of new patients; maintained courtesy towards potential customers through direct contact on the telephone.
Medical Information Specialist Resume Sample 6
- Recorded patient information accurately for the purpose of filing and retrieving medical records.
- Provided superior customer service by meeting or exceeding customers’ needs, resolving problems, and making decisions in a timely manner.
- Gathered information from patients to report on drug interactions, adverse reactions, and effectiveness of medications under direct supervision from physicians.
- Diagnosed allergies from prescription labels after finding no documentation in the computer system.
- Calibrated equipment accurately with a 100% success rate using appropriate testing materials.
Medical Information Specialist Resume Sample 7
- Received a promotion to lead medical information specialist less than one year after being hired, and was responsible for developing and implementing standard operating procedures for the department.
- Demonstrated excellence in customer service by consistently meeting or exceeding the department’s goals for customer satisfaction as rated through customer surveys.
- Earned a spot on the company’s “Top Performers” list three years in a row based on exceptional performance in key areas such as productivity, accuracy, and quality of work.
- Recognized as an outstanding team player who is always willing to lend a helping hand wherever needed.
- Proven track record of taking initiative and going above and beyond the call of duty to get the job done right regardless of the circumstances.
Medical Information Specialist Resume Sample 8
- Provided support to the medical staff of a 120-bed hospital by acting as liaison between physicians and other medical departments.
- Sourced, organized, and transferred documentation for job procedures including new employee orientation, accreditation standards, employment policies/procedures, departmental forms / instruction sheets / charts.
- Presented patient care concerns by preparing reports with complex information pertaining to clinical studies using Microsoft Office Excel 2007.
- Facilitated quality assurance reviews of nursing units through accurate data collection on assignments throughout the facility.
- Performed clerical duties including typing of reports, letters of correspondence, maintenance of filing systems, receptionist services for supervisor’s phone calls during absence.
Medical Information Specialist Resume Sample 9
- Contributed to the medical field by compiling, researching, filing, and sharing information with colleagues.
- Saved over $5,000 in billing questions through efficient research of three different software applications.
- Completed online training course on new medical coding standards; recognized for successful completion of all assigned tasks by supervisor.
- Reorganized patient charts for more than 4 hours of saved time per week; work speed increased while reducing errors that took place during original performance process.
- Trained three new employees on electronic medical records (EMR) software; promoted team cohesiveness and knowledge levels across departmental lines.
Medical Information Specialist Resume Sample 10
- Processed, verified, and tracked all medical information requests according to HIPAA guidelines.
- Demonstrated expertise in prioritizing and managing multiple requests simultaneously in a high-pressure environment.
- Successfully navigated the EMR system to locate and retrieve patient data as needed.
- Proven track record of quickly mastering new software programs and applications.
- Received positive feedback from physicians and nurses for providing exceptional customer service that exceeded expectations.
Medical Information Specialist Resume Sample 11
- Streamlined workflow with the implementation of new filing system; reduced days’ past due to three by fortnight.
- Initiated departmental meetings to research and develop standard operating practices; created documentation for all workflows, automated processes, reports, and templates.
- Authored detailed procedures manual on data entry process; detailed business rules for data entry errors through charts containing input values, possible errors, and resulting output values.
- Increased customer satisfaction levels by 20% through proactive communication between members of Major Medical Claims Team concerning processing issues.
- Awarded Outstanding Major Medical Customer Service Award after receiving acknowledgement from an insurer that received positive feedback from a member of the medical community about my quality of service.
Medical Information Specialist Resume Sample 12
- Retrieved and documented research findings from the Internet, journals, and medical texts; collated data for reports.
- Provided administrative support to outpatient surgery unit; organized files and documents; maintained patient charts and records.
- Trained new employees on use of manuals, procedures, software, equipment, operating systems and user interfaces.
- Resolved billing discrepancies to maximize reimbursement from insurance providers.
- Pioneered a computer interface to improve organization of information for better efficiency within many affiliated hospitals’ databases.
To work as a Medical Information Specialist, you need a high school diploma and certification in health information technology. A medical information specialist must demonstrate integrity, be detail-oriented, interpersonal skills, analytical skills, knowledge of classification software, technical skills, and accuracy.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.