A legislative assistant is someone who works for a legislator and performs research, monitors pending legislations, and provides assistance and counsel. Duties that a legislative assistant may include researching legislation, attending meetings, performing interviews, providing advice and suggestions to the legislator, preparing presentations, as well as editing and correcting paperwork.
For many, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Legislative Assistant Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Legislative Assistant resumes for your reference.
Legislative Assistant Resume Sample 1
- Drafted correspondence on matters of public policy, both domestic and international, including laws.
- Wrote articles for publication in professional journals focusing on local and national issues; recognized by the American Bar Association for contributions to legal literature.
- Responded to constituent requests relating to public policy following careful research and analysis of facts and statistics.
- Presented facts at hearings before members of Congress and committee staff members; responsible for soliciting votes and assembling support from individuals representing specific interests.
- Promoted intergovernmental relations within legislative bodies by consulting with officials from state government regarding proposed federal legislation; scheduled meetings with legislators during transit between Washington, D.C., and home district (state).
Legislative Assistant Resume Sample 2
- Actively participated in the drafting of bills, resolutions, amendments, and committee reports.
- Researched appropriations recommendations to ensure effective use of funds for purposes supporting the legislative agenda.
- Collaborated with committees on legislative issues involving transportation and broadband development; earning appreciation from Senator Konni Burton for dedication to state affairs and involvement in community projects.
- Participated as team leader on statewide project involving 30+ volunteers to promote awareness for first responders’ rights and benefits; recognized by Director of State Affairs during an inter-office assembly.
- Presented testimony at the Texas House of Representatives based on findings from project report, resulting in the advancement of a bill during the 85th session of the Texas Legislature.
Legislative Assistant Resume Sample 3
- Attended over 50 hearings, conferences, and briefings on public policy subjects relevant to federal legislative action.
- Led the development of materials for the Subcommittee on Health Care Quality pertaining to reauthorizing legislation on healthcare workforce issues.
- Drafted remarks on Medicare payment issues for several Congressional leaders; these remarks were included in the Congressional Record.
- Advised local businesses concerning compliance with state regulations during tax season; mediated violations of labor laws between employers and employees through negotiation.
- Presented testimony before the Subcommittee of Healthcare Resources regarding quality ranking systems at hospitals throughout New York State.
Legislative Assistant Resume Sample 4
- Networked with local elected officials and business leaders while conducting research regarding policy-making.
- Drafted correspondence for the Senator to reply to letters from constituents on a wide array of issues.
- Maintained accurate statistics on legislative actions over a two year period.
- Assisted in organizing fundraising events, including receptions and film festivals.
- Administered an annual survey to determine constituent satisfaction with government services provided by the Senator’s office.
Legislative Assistant Resume Sample 5
- Acted as key member of research team; prepared reports, memos, correspondence, and issue papers.
- Managed office supplies inventory; recorded receipts and deliveries to ensure accurate records for tax purposes.
- Contributed by providing information about state government processes related to budgeting, agency operations, program development.
- Supported the Legislative Director at hearings by coordinating briefings with appropriate committees’ members or staff.
- Provided expertise regarding pending legislation based on thorough comprehension of content through research into relevant precedents and statutes.
Legislative Assistant Resume Sample 6
- Wrote and successfully obtained passage of legislation to create a Healthy Workplace Bill that received unanimous support from the state legislature.
- Drafted correspondence for presiding officers, committee chairs, ranking members, conference members, and other General Assembly Members/State Agencies that brought about favorable outcomes.
- Oversaw all House legislation in my respective committees to which submitted bills were assigned; managed accompanying actions including bill letter reports, witness slips, etc.
- Effectively managed complex administrative tasks by soliciting input from agency officials prior to beginning projects; expedited workflow when necessary.
- Orchestrated email campaigns with outside constituents in order to secure voice votes on specific pieces of legislation; increased participation in the democratic process.
Legislative Assistant Resume Sample 7
- Drafted written materials used by the office to communicate with constituents, maintained files for issues pertaining to city.
- Collaborated effectively with all levels of management on departmental initiatives and projects; received recognition from the Executive Director of International Legal Services as an outstanding employee.
- Provided essential support during contract negotiations between ILS/consulting attorneys and international clients representing oil companies in South America.
- Negotiated contracts with individuals who needed legal advice on immigration or criminal matters, determined appropriate fees according to individual means, met set target for maintaining good rapport with clients.
- Initiated self-help referral program for clients at various social service agencies within community; recognized by supervisors as essential contributor during six months of probation.
Legislative Assistant Resume Sample 8
- Revamped the entire office’s filing system, reducing filing times by more than 50%.
- Handled mailings for over 1,000 constituents while distributing flyers and newsletters across five counties.
- Prepared reports on all legislation for assigned committees while working closely with state legislators.
- Organized press conferences; updated newsroom with announcements; prepared media advisories; monitored news reports on new legislation.
- Researched the potential impact of proposed legislation relating to health care before it was approved by committee.
Legislative Assistant Resume Sample 9
- Drafted legislation which would reduce the number of individual income taxes, while creating a tax credit for home school teachers.
- Developed relationships with state agencies in order to provide legislative updates on compliance credentials.
- Explored legislative process at Federal and State levels; received recognition from legislators regarding policy-based issues.
- Provided outreach services to constituents regarding legislative initiatives, legislation tracking, public events, tours, and workshops.
- Promoted community involvement in local government by facilitating contact between legislators/agencies and the general public.
Legislative Assistant Resume Sample 10
- Utilized legal knowledge to draft legislation, prepare talking points for outreach efforts, and provide support to the members of Congress.
- Worked with Congressional offices from across the nation to identify concerns on key issues.
- Designed a new outreach effort that significantly improved relationships between Congressional offices and their constituents.
- Recognized as an effective public speaker and facilitator by fellow staff and legislators; consistently delivered briefings and presentations within agency teams.
- Achieved 100% constituent retention rate; maintain consistent contact with constituents throughout legislative sessions to assist them with federal issues.
Legislative Assistant Resume Sample 11
- Recognized as an efficiency expert who selected and trained two interns in the title abstracting profession.
- Researched and analyzed all bills, judicial decisions and federal treaties to prepare position papers for assigned offices.
- Reviewed upcoming legislation to identify areas of conflict between state and national laws.
- Drafted memos regarding legal issues for legislative consideration.
- Prepared briefing materials for members of Congress regarding policy issues.
Legislative Assistant Resume Sample 12
- Provided case support to office during litigation process, including creating exhibits and charts as well as summarizing depositions and testimonies from witnesses.
- Assisted legislative committee by researching and analyzing proposed bills for constitutionality, public benefit, and fiscal impact.
- Prepared reports for the State Representative outlining committee recommendations; adopted unanimously three times out of four attempts.
- Collaborated on bill draft with the Governor’s Office to gain his endorsement; ultimately signed into law by Governor after passing through both chambers.
- Distinguished myself among peers in work ethic, speed, productivity, efficiency (work output / hours worked), teamwork (contributions to team success).
Legislative Assistant Resume Sample 13
- Received employee-of-the-month award; demonstrated ability to successfully prioritize multiple tasks while meeting deadlines.
- The Best Legislative Assistant Resume Samples
- Legislative Assistant Resume Sample 1
- Legislative Assistant Resume Sample 2
- Legislative Assistant Resume Sample 3
- Legislative Assistant Resume Sample 4
- Legislative Assistant Resume Sample 5
- Legislative Assistant Resume Sample 6
- Legislative Assistant Resume Sample 7
- Legislative Assistant Resume Sample 8
- Legislative Assistant Resume Sample 9
- Legislative Assistant Resume Sample 10
- Legislative Assistant Resume Sample 11
- Legislative Assistant Resume Sample 12
- Legislative Assistant Resume Sample 13
- Wrap Up
Educational requirements vary by state, but usually require a bachelor’s degree in law, government, or political field. Necessary skills needed to be a legislative assistant include integrity, honesty, legal knowledge, computer skills, communication skills, strong researching skills, organization, and ability to work well with others.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.