Information Technology is a pretty big business to break into. As the younger generations get more and more tech-savvy, the job of an IT Executive may be getting more complicated. These workers are responsible for the IT functions of the company, maintaining the equipment and budget needs, contributing to the overall business strategy and staying up to date with the latest tech trends. If you follow my advice, you’ll have a much easier time breaking into the position.
How to Become a Successful IT Executive?
Earn a Degree in IT: Most colleges and universities offer information technology majors that you can choose to study. Graduating with even a bachelor’s degree in IT is essential to landing this position. Like most jobs in the market nowadays, you’ll need to have a college degree to apply.
Take IT Internships Throughout College: Of course, you’ll need a bit more experience than just a college degree if you plan to become an IT executive. Take some IT internships in your free time to work up to the level of experience that a lot of hiring companies are asking for. It will be another strong point on your resumé.
Maintain a Leadership Role: You’ll have to have some experience leading a group before you can make the plunge into IT. The easiest ways to do so are to run for student government or be part of an athletic team. You’ll need to work your way up to get that status, but it will make your resumé shine.
Improve Your Time Management Skills: This might be a skill you pick up without realizing when you’re in the midst of your studies. College and internships require a lot of time and dedication, and being able to balance those effectively will show employers that you can balance the responsibilities of the position.
As technology becomes more integrated into our daily lives, IT jobs are going to become more and more necessary. If you want to break into this blossoming job market, these tips will give you the edge you need to get hired!
The Best IT Executive Resume Samples
These are some examples of job descriptions we have handpicked from real IT Executive resumes for your reference.
- Led the selection and on time implementation of new enterprise ERPEAM system.
- Led the selection, on time and on budget implementation of a new data center.
- Led the selection, on time and on budget migration from Exchange to Google Apps.
- Created and implemented new business processes to improve customer experience and business cycle times. On time delivery increased 30% while A/R improved 10 days.
- ResMed’s product line to address personalized patient care was challenged by complex HIPAA and FDA regulations.
- Worked with the corporate compliance and quality teams to develop a phone based system to capture blinded patient data and provide an encrypted platform to transmit the data to the responsible teams.
- Defined a solution to improve trials lead time by 35% using Siebel CRM suite of products.
- Worked in developing the iCMS applicant tracking system to reduce the time to process resumes for the expanding work load due to the fast paced growth by 35%.
- Manage Data Center, Help Desk, ERP, and Microsoft Exchange accounts with ITO and Managed.
- Increased quality of processes for organizational effectiveness, quality, and proactive planning while decreasing cost.
- Developed strong customer relationships resulting in growth of business, and highest customer.
- Provide process governance in changing environments through trend analysis and market.
- Provides technology assessment and guidance of new and existing technologies.
- Utilizes strategic planning and IT best practices to achieve short and long term goals set by the Executive Director.
- Prepare, justify and manage IT Department’s budget of over three million dollars.
- Responsible for re-engineering [company name]’s LAN/WAN infrastructure and the virtualization (Vmware 5.5) of their Data Center along with the creation of their first Disaster Recovery Site.
- Developed web based competition tracking system for sales managers which led to more sales.
- Custom Designed and Developed U.S. textile manufacturing company website Intedge.
- Provide ongoing maintenance, technical support, graphic design and web development services.
- Design marketing material, establish newsletter, build and administer mailing list, create and execute periodic HTML e-mail campaigns and product specific promotions to large customer base.
- Analyzed system performance data, bandwidth utilization reports and other diagnostic tools to identify problem issues, taking corrective actions as necessary.
- Administered network infrastructures to implement internet and data connectivity.
- Designed and implemented Local Area Networks for customers range from small offices to the large corporate environments and fulfilled their requirements.
- Designed and maintained IT training program, business continuity plans, and SOX, NGCB, and PCI compliance documentation.
- Responsible for security, configuration, and hardware/software management of all systems, PCs, user accounts and project support/management and IT gaming compliance for all business units.
- Communicate with upper management and all business units IT initiatives, operations, and updates.
- Designed and integrated all aspects of technology regarding Flamingo Laughlin into ACEP technology environment.
- Did executive support for a 24x7x365 on-call rotation and ensured minimal down-time.
- Maintain records documenting licensing, versions, and configurations of workstations, peripherals, and software.
- Executed a global software and hardware deployment for our customers at a corporate and plant level.
- Create IT Investment and Governance models for healthcare agencies and private healthcare corporations.
- Manage a $15mm IT Budget with FTE’s and consultants across the Southeastern United States.
- Direct Development, Implementation, Integration and Project Management Sections.
- Direct Architectural teams in the design and implementation of new E.M.R/E.H.R and HIE technologies.
- Project Manager for annual, “Golf to End Alzheimer’s”, golf outing to benefit the Alzheimer’s.
- Creation and management of vendor sponsor spreadsheets including tabulation of funds, sign placement, pairings and much more.
- Responsible for all communication to sponsors and individual golfers as relates to the event.
- Calibrate with site Recruiting Managers and Employee Relations Managers to ensure customer expectations are met.
- Conduct phone interview with applicants to determine qualifications for job fit and cultural fit.
- Decide whether applicant should continue in the selection process.
- Create and implement staffing department policies and procedures, including work force planning.
- Project management coordinating/managing company split activities including networks, data, phones, equipment, etc.
- Order management including expense tracking and purchase order processing.
- Global departmental expense tracking and budgeting, asset management, inventory monitoring and purchasing.