An environmental scientist studies the effects of pollution on humans and the environment. Duties include collecting samples, performing laboratory tests to determine toxicity levels and degree of contamination, evaluating risk levels based on test results, consulting with other scientists and engineers to plan or implement solutions to problems involving contamination or waste disposal, compiling data for reports and presentations, investigating complaints regarding environmental hazards, and promoting environmentally friendly practices at home and in the workplace. The top skills for this position are analytical reasoning abilities, communication skills such as public speaking or writing to share research findings with non-scientists, computer software proficiency such as MS Office applications for editing reports which will be provided to supervisors who do not have a science background, problem solving abilities such as troubleshooting technical problems that may arise in the course of completing a research project, and critical thinking and reasoning skills. A bachelor’s degree is required for this position along with a license as a professional engineer.
The Best Environmental Scientist Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Environmental Scientist resumes for your reference.
- Served as the project manager for jobs involving multiple clients.
- Managed over 300 accounts and helped minimize costs for the company.
- Developed report template and field site survey assessment forms that streamlined and improved report productivity.
- Led company in report output related to mold-remediation verification protocol development.
- Conducted surveys and produced reports related to water, air quality, and mold testing.
- Responsible for the collection of groundwater samples through varying sampling methods.
- Carries out daily calibrations of water quality meters and air monitoring equipment.
- Helped develop and implement Standard Operating Procedures for equipment calibrations.
- Made historic discoveries related to marine ecosystems and oceanographic processes; developed and demonstrated research methods, management strategies, and data collection techniques.
- Completed special studies on the effects of pollution on coral reef health.
- Managed all aspects of my own project site, from budgeting, accruals, invoicing, and project closure.
- Provided Health and Safety contractor (For construction, Drilling, and various other fieldwork) oversight and conducted tailboard and JSA meetings.
- Provided guidance and followed procedures on all environmental and regulatory issues for hazardous materials, waste management programs, and environmental field operations.
- Applied specific services e.g. manifest preparation, sampling and characterization, scheduling waste and material recovery Transportation, and Disposal.
- Performed research on naturally-spawning populations of coral reef fish that were in decline due to displacement by human activity.
- Completed Phase I and Preliminary Assessment investigations and reports.
- Oversaw and directed site investigations and completed written corresponding reports.
- Managed incoming laboratory data from various projects including the completion of Electronic Data Deliverables.
- Wrote and reviewed well installation and soil boring logs for correct lithology.
- Conducted expedition research on environmentally sensitive corals in the Caribbean Sea.
- Conduct Phase 1 Environmental Site Assessments and technical review of ESA reports.
- Assign work schedules for inspectors, maintain continuous communication with clients and inspectors.
- Generate noise monitoring data, evaluation of results, and conduction of vibration monitoring services.
- Researched the effect of N2O and NO3 vapors released by decomposing organic matter on the life cycle of corals.
- Conducted scientific research, developed analytical methods and techniques.
- Soil and groundwater sampling (Sampling plan design; equipment, solutions & lab glassware ordering; calibration, operation, and maintaining field equipment).
- Oversee field activities related to tank removal, GPR, drilling, well installation & abundance.
- Landfill site inspection and gas monitoring (Evaluate the operation and functional integrity of the landfill cap, stormwater management system, gas vents, and general site improvements twice a year.
- Collected, identified, and analyzed data associated with primary sources of pollution and collected data in the field.
- Performed analysis of population health in relation to environmental factors.
- Provide leadership to subcontractors through supervision during monitoring well installations, subsurface clearance, and geophysical fieldwork.
- Conduct site investigation field activities, including groundwater and soil sampling, with a diverse team of engineers/scientists and project managers.
- Communicate with field staff to prepare Electronic Data Deliverables (EDDs), groundwater contour maps, monitoring well/boring logs, and geologic cross-sections.
- Perform quality control reviews and assist with the preparation of data tables and figures in support of project reporting for clients.
- Developed facility maintenance system design.
- Tracked and assessed imported fill material for re-development Brownfield project site.
- Trained on air monitoring: Community Air Monitoring Plan (CAMP) stations that were equipped with a data logging PID.
- Peer review of analytical data tables such as multimedia exceedances, Remedial Investigation Reports (RIR) to ensure all components are consistent and present within the reports.
- Created and distributed educational information on environmental causes, consequences, solutions, and natural resources.
- Co-founded and directed the development of a university research lab that has collected more than 10,000 plants, animal, and microbe samples during a period of five years.
- Helped the project manager to plan, schedule, and track project timelines to ensure the project progress status is on schedule.
- Identified and resolved the issues with projects and communicated the appropriate progress reports, and recommendations with the project manager and clients.
- Leaded and mentored the fresh team members on Phase I projects, coordinated and responded to requests for changes in the projects.
- Used hands-on training methods to teach undergraduate student groups more than 4,000 taxonomic names and species identification.
- Conducted over 300 research projects at his university’s main campus over five years while publishing several scholarly papers.
- Collect samples of gases, soils, water, industrial wastewater, or asbestos products to conduct tests on pollutant levels or identify sources of pollution.
- Record test data and prepare reports, summaries, or charts that interpret test results.
- Develop or implement programs for monitoring environmental pollution or radiation.
- Make recommendations to control or eliminate unsafe conditions at workplaces or public facilities.
- Adopted by three students from a local elementary school after being involved in character education programs for ten years through counseling, tutoring, mentoring, and teaching summer language enrichment programs for foreign exchange students.
- Reviewed and interpreted local, state, and federal environmental regulations.
- Created maps and corresponding databases for New York City using air quality dispersion model (AERMOD) and geographic information system (GIS).
- Traveled to various job sites to gather data and monitor environmental conditions.
- Inspected NYC restaurants to test the correlation between air pollution and cooking equipment.
- Conducted field research into soil, water, and air quality on a U.S. Forest Service site in New Mexico and submitted findings to agency staff.
- Conducts carbon footprint analysis by quantifying and calculating greenhouse gas emissions.
- Administers LEED consulting and total building commissioning services.
- Executes sustainable design practices through Net-Zero Energy Building consulting.
- Supervises environmental fieldwork and activities according to work plans and project schedules.
- Tracked the movement of I-8 taggants (radioactive debris) in the air, soil, and water on a U.S. Forest Service site in Arizona and submitted findings to agency staff.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.