A COTA is responsible for providing occupational therapy under the supervision of a senior therapist. Their duties include assisting patients, evaluating the physical and mental abilities of patients, analyzing medical information, choosing appropriate activity programs, maintain patient records, and educating patients on how to use equipment.
For many, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best COTA Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real COTA resumes for your reference.
COTA Resume Sample 1
- Provided therapeutic service to children and adolescents with mental, physical, and emotional challenges.
- Received the Bridge Award for excellence in Service; recognized by peers during monthly staff meeting.
- Assessed and diagnosed students’ academic or social needs; developed an individualized education plan (IEP).
- Designed and implemented a pilot study in collaboration with teachers and parents on implementing strategies to increase student success after observing similar practices among college mentors.
- Revised existing policies regarding special education compliance in schools; made recommendations regarding required qualification training for Teachers of Students with Disabilities (TSD).
COTA Resume Sample 2
- Developed sensitivity to patient’s emotional, physical, and spiritual needs; assisted doctor in providing home care treatment.
- Provided basic readings services to patients requiring help with vision impairment; increased confidence for doctor by improving communication during appointments.
- Trained elementary school students on the subject of diabetes; instructed wellness class for adults at senior center.
- Assisted doctors with treatment process, keeping records vital health conditions; facilitated doctor-patient relationships.
- Helped patient deal with post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) through regular discussions and activities after death of family members.
COTA Resume Sample 3
- Provide physical therapy services to patients of all ages.
- Promote positive change in patients’ functional ability through therapeutic exercise, activities, and home programs.
- Teach therapeutic exercise techniques on manual devices, equipment, and treatment tables to facilitate patient recovery.
- Support team efforts for patient diagnosis by compiling data relating to patient history and treatments administered.
- Recognize and respond to the needs of patients with signs and symptoms of possible medical emergencies.
COTA Resume Sample 4
- Counseled and guided children in group and individual settings.
- Evaluated results of developmental screenings; identified at-risk students in need of assistance.
- Work with teachers to ensure children were prepared for kindergarten; provided information about family concerns, such as discipline or changing schools.
- Facilitated workshops for parents on working with the special education classroom, resolving student behavior problems, and understanding individualized education plans (IEPs).
- Supervised up to three work study students during junior high school afternoons; oversaw their work with physically and mentally challenged clients.
COTA Resume Sample 5
- Provide quality care to children with various disabilities, conditions, and disorders.
- Use occupational therapy treatments that result in positive changes for the child’s overall functional performance.
- Follow and document the child’s progress using the occupational therapy process model; recognize techniques that will encourage self-help skills.
- Identify needed modifications or adaptations of therapeutic equipment for a particular child based on individual needs and abilities.
- Utilize appropriate treatment interventions to develop skills necessary for a child to perform daily activities at home, school, or work.
COTA Resume Sample 6
- Provide therapeutic services to patients in hospital settings by listening, counseling, explaining medications and treatments, assisting with daily life skills & activities; developed positive relationships with staff & patients.
- Developed exercises for heart failure patients focusing on cardiovascular health; recognized by the Cardiologist as an outstanding contribution.
- Encouraged stroke victim to accept rehabilitation by helping patient improve moods through reading & dialogue; recovered more than expected range of motion within 2 months.
- Discovered hidden strength in children facing surgery after encouraging them to draw pictures that revealed their dreams about becoming artists or athletes.
- Motivated cancer patient to receive treatment even though beliefs stated previously it wasn’t necessary because “God would cure me.”
COTA Resume Sample 7
- Provided individualized, therapeutic treatment for children with special needs including autistic spectrum disorder.
- Arranged activities to provide physical exercise and promote general well-being of disabled senior citizens.
- Helped clients improve mobility, balance, coordination, gross motor skills, auditory processing skills, visual processing skills, and oral-motor skills.
- Promoted independence through re-teaching activities; improved interpersonal interaction, language skills, cognitive abilities, and sensory processing skills.
- Established a therapeutic environment to provide physically and mentally stimulating activities for clients.
COTA Resume Sample 8
- Masterfully identified and addressed client needs; convinced client to maintain positive outlook through effective communication, support, and motivation.
- Determined therapeutic approach by factoring in the extent of patient’s illness as well as emotional implications from family, social system, financial hardship, or natural disaster.
- Provided for individualized treatment plans that allowed patients to progress toward a state of empowerment after anger management sessions.
- Collaborated with colleagues to formulate a proposal recommending a course of action for future projects aimed towards community wellness.
- Advised administrative staff on techniques to improve office morale, effectively resolved issues arising from co-worker conflicts and improved case processing efficiency.
COTA Resume Sample 9
- Assisted patients in developing their physical, cognitive, social, and emotional skills.
- Promoted independence by restoring individuals’ ability to perform activities of daily living under supervision to self-sufficiency.
- Improved the quality or patient care through participation in staff development or committee meetings.
- Collected information to maintain current knowledge about patient needs and plan appropriate treatment goals with them.
- Employed creativity while maintaining confidentiality when providing rehabilitation services.
COTA Resume Sample 10
- Determined in a timely manner the appropriate level of care and rehabilitation by assessing and reassessing patient’s progress, condition, and capacity.
- Reviewed test results with patients; then scheduled treatment programs based on physician orders for improvement in mobility or functioning after accidents, injuries, or illnesses.
- Administered occupational therapist-prescribed treatments to help regain motor skills (i.e., walking) lost during injury, such as strokes and other trauma under close supervision of supervising therapist.
- Interviewed patients to gather information about their illness or accident related medical history, their current problems with physical activities of daily living (ADLs), and response to treatments in order to prepare comprehensive patient assessment.
- Assessed functional status by direct evaluations of patients’ strength, range of motion, gait, balance, and mobility under supervision of a licensed occupational therapist.
COTA Resume Sample 11
- Delivered 2,000 total hours of occupational therapy to geriatric patients through hands-on application in post hospitalization care.
- Provided custom treatment plans for each patient according to medical doctor’s orders and case manager demands.
- Directed 20 students in practicum training during the last three semesters; mentored their therapy sessions with supervising instructors’ observation and guidance.
- Earned multi-year recognition by school program directors as an outstanding student receiving “clinical excellence” and Dean’s List honors semesterly.
- Achieved advanced certification after passing the national boards on first attempt; designated a Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant (COTA) among less than 10% of the profession.
To work as a COTA, you need to have at least an associate degree in occupational therapy and hold an OTA license. COTAs must have organizational skills to implement treatment plans for diverse patients, have excellent written and oral communication skills, be people-oriented, detail-oriented, and have physical abilities to move patients.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.