In the very precise field of chemistry, there are many applications for everything from forensic labs researching samples from crime scenes to pharmacy developers working on their next product. All of them can use the skills of an analytical chemist, who can research chemical compounds to determine exactly what they are made of.
How to Become a Successful Analytical Chemist?
Education requirements tend to be very high for almost all employers, so while a bachelor’s degree may be sufficient for some companies, most will prefer you have a master’s or even a PHD to show you really have the required skills for this incredibly technical field of work.
Your employment will typically begin at the end of your education with an internship that will teach you the basics and get your foot in the door of the industry. Being a recent graduate means, you will want to learn everything you can from those who have been in the field longer than you.
After getting your start, you can try a very wide array of employment options. A forensic specialty might be for you if you enjoy detective work, or you may find that a medical career for a pharmacy is more in line, or you can work for other companies developing chemical products to sell.
As you’ll be working with very precise materials, you will always want to be careful and pay close attention to detail as you work, otherwise the mistakes could be costly. Patience and a steady hand are a must to get the work done efficiently but without any of the rush that could be dangerous.
The Best Analytical Chemist Resume Samples
These are some examples of job descriptions we have handpicked from real Analytical Chemist resumes for your reference.
- Performs analysis on products containing sun filters (OTC) to conform to FDA regulations.
- Performs in-process analysis on bulks being manufactured (drop point, volatility, viscosity, pH, density, break point measurements).
- Performs post-production analysis on cosmetic bulks, WIPs and finished goods to measure preservatives and sun filters concentrations within the product to assure conformity with internal and/or customer’s specifications and with the FDA’s regulations.
- Perform API assay instrumental analysis via UPLC/HPLC using Waters/Empower3 instrument.
- Ensure blends, tablets, capsules and raw materials meet company specifications as per SOP.
- Handle incoming Raw Materials and schedule testing according to CoA.
- Maintain detailed, concise and accurate log books for all instruments and standards.
- Performance of diversified chemical testing as needed by using current USP, SOP, and work instructions and or customer supply method.
- Raw material, bulk, and finished product testing for contract manufacturing from various contract organizations.
- Raw materials testing by FT-IR, pH determination, viscosity, refractive index, and specific gravity.
- Perform QC assay and impurity profile on raw material, bulk and finished products by HPLC and GC.
- Testing of raw materials, bulk liquids, finished goods, stability products and validation samples.
- Performance of testing such as HPLC and GC assays, identification, extractions, manual and auto-titrations, acidity, loss on drying, viscosity, turbidity, specific gravity, pH and toxicity.
- Creator/reviser/approver of test methods, work instructions, SOP’s and specifications.
- Earned solo responsibility of all finished product testing for a large pharmaceutical company.
- Performed quality control testing on Finished Product, Stability, Complaint Sample, Protocol Samples and process validation samples.
- Performed Tablets and Capsules Dissolution Single point and Multi point by (UV-VIS) and by HPLC.
- Conducted Identification by HPLC, IR, and TLC, Assay and degradation test of actives.
- Performed quality control testing of blend uniformity, dissolution profiles, assay and content uniformity on finished products by HPLC and UV-VIS spectrophotometer.
- Perform analytical tests such as Assay, Content Uniformity, Related Compound (impurities) of solid dosage finished product and stability products with their specification.
- Works with lab instruments HPLC, Dissolution Apparatus, UV-Visible spectroscopy, Karl-Fischer instruments to perform analytical tests.
- Analyze the physical properties of solid dosage forms such as of hardness, thickness, weight variation, Tap density, bulk density, and disintegration.
- Performed Semivolatiles analysis in GC-MSD following SOP’s and EPA methods 8270D, 625 and 525.
- Supervising and training new staff as well as reviewing of final results, troubleshooting and monitoring row data.
- Updating SOPs and quality controls according with the Laboratory QC officer.
- Validated Methods with the specification of the New York Department of Health.
- Developed and validated HPLC, UHPLC methods for determination of active ingredients, related substances and leachables in topical solutions, ointments, creams and lotions.
- Developed and validated method for residual solvents in active ingradients, using GC/FID.
- Supported new formulation developments and stability studies.
- Reverse engineering of competitive Solder paste, Liquid flux, organic solvent based cleaner, aqueous based cleaner, Polymer and etc.
- Determine the root cause of the customer complaint bad batch samples, Analyzing unidentified samples and residues from customer, providing analytical method for QC dept. and customer.
- Providing in-depth consultation to solve R/D problems, analyzing experimental samples and determine the root cause of various problems.
- Responsible for setting up laboratory equipment and instrumentation required for analysis of samples in accordance with compendia or client procedures.
- Test and analyze samples in order to determine purity, content, physical properties as well as other characteristics and interpret chromatograms.
- Prepare chemical solutions and reagents, dilutions, and standardizations following formulas and experimental procedures.
- Implement compliance carried out through cGMP and ensures that all methodology and testing are up to date as per SOP.
- Involvement in implementation of new process techniques to improve quality and productivity.
- Preparation of test solution and volumetric solutions and maintain laboratory documentation.
- Ensuring complete in process quality control and continuous improvement in process capabilities for reducing the rate of rejection and reviewed overall SOP’s followed during manufacturing.
- Formulation and preparation of toothpastes, flavored films and Zinc oxide films in lab scale batches.
- Aging and accelerated studies on toothpastes for Zinc Oxide migration and stability of flavors.
- High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) testing of stability of flavors.