Air traffic controllers are responsible for guiding the safe movement of airplanes arriving and departing from airports. Their duties include regulating air traffic, maintaining communication with aircraft crew, executing air traffic controller duties, monitoring aircraft movements, providing weather updates to pilots and issuing landing and take-off directives to pilots.
For many, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Air Traffic Controller Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Air Traffic Controller resumes for your reference.
Air Traffic Controller Resume Sample 1
- Approved take off clearance for a piloted, private aircraft based on radar reading of ground speed and distance from the airport.
- Helped guide a cargo jet to an emergency landing after two engines shut down due to storms over the Atlantic Ocean.
- Honored by National Air Traffic Control Association with a special award recognizing ability to maintain physical endurance while working eight continuous hours of active air traffic control during severe weather conditions.
- Ranked in top 3% among all ATC at airport for consistently achieving outstanding job performance reviews noting superior attitude, strong communication skills, and proactive customer service orientation.
- Recognized by FAA Safety Team due to extraordinary alertness upon identifying sudden loss of altitude in an aircraft’s flight pattern.
Air Traffic Controller Resume Sample 2
- Assigned to a high-density traffic sector in the LAX Oceanic airspace to maintain highest standards of safety and effectiveness.
- Acted as Communications Liaison between pilots and surrounding Centers, successfully proactively averted potential collisions, saving hundreds of lives.
- Managed over 1,000 flights per day with an incident free record for 3 years by constantly adapting to changing conditions, remaining flexible within rigid timeframe limits.
- Proven ability to handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously while working under stressful conditions during major snowstorms when adverse weather conditions forced a number of airlines to cancel or divert their scheduled departures.
- Identified significant inefficiencies in air control operations which allowed for quick identification and rectification of the problems, resulting in a more efficient and productive workplace.
Air Traffic Controller Resume Sample 3
- Computed deviations for on-time arrivals on all commercial flights on schedule, with extremely low incidence of deviation.
- Achieved regional rank of #1 in preventive maintenance management. Reduced accidents by 23% through the introduction of preventative measures into technical manual, enabling technicians to achieve high efficiency preflight checklists.
- Proven record of identifying operational errors and providing alternative procedures, while reducing number of delays caused by mechanical problems.
- Received award for excellent service through increased quality control efforts; increased security awareness while decreasing time planes were parked at gate awaiting clearance.
- Provided exemplary customer service as mentor to junior controllers; effectively resolved conflicts between pilots during routine communications exchanges.
Air Traffic Controller Resume Sample 4
- Dispatched twenty-one takeoffs and landings of the heavy B747 aircraft by using initial communications procedures.
- Aided in locating a small private airplane that had lost contact with ground control during flight to the east coast from Chicago, Illinois.
- Tracked a suspicious helicopter for two hours, which circled 300 feet below cloud cover over a Super Bowl football stadium during halftime show.
- Successfully evaluated and prepared new employee for Federal Aviation Administration operation certification after previous controller resigned due to injury.
- Met every deadline of scheduled flights while creating efficiency among airline transportation workers as an Air Traffic Controller at O’Hare Airport in Chicago, Illinois.
Air Traffic Controller Resume Sample 5
- Contributed to time and team efficiency by initiating and developing logistics for a new holding system.
- Successfully handled an aircraft with 119 passengers, 4 hours overdue, with no medical emergencies, mechanical difficulties or general information required from the crew.
- Vigilantly provided optimum service even after being involved in a traffic collision with a runaway truck during inclement weather conditions.
- Rewarded for quick thinking and action as no one was harmed during an accident where a cargo plane crashed into my air traffic control tower.
- Recipient of positive commendations from management regarding professional conduct and job performance/accomplishments.
Air Traffic Controller Resume Sample 6
- Handled live traffic as it moved through the system to safe and expedite its arrival.
- Accurately maintained logs of weather conditions, aircraft locations, and other relevant information that could impact operations at a moment’s notice.
- Selected destination airports for each flight according to prescribed guidelines.
- Directed landing traffic in a crowded airspace with a high volume of arriving flights from several different terminals simultaneously during peak hours.
- Recovered from heavy air traffic congestion resulting from military exercises to normal levels within two hours without incident or delay.
Air Traffic Controller Resume Sample 7
- Tracked and directed aircraft with altitude, speed, and location in accordance with FAA regulations.
- Addressed emergency landing conditions by rerouting flight paths to safe locations and providing emergency weather information.
- Promoted in rank from Air Traffic Controller to Team Lead; recognized by the National Guard Bureau for outstanding performance resulting in two awards for safety achievement.
- Recipient of award for outstanding service; effectively maintained proper tracking of flights during suspension of ATC services due to temporary loss of radar services (five days).
- Realized new potentials for intersectional cooperation after being part of a team that successfully linked an aircraft’s crash site with the location where search teams were deployed.
Air Traffic Controller Resume Sample 8
- Successfully supervised and guided aircraft to a safe landing, with no incidents or near misses, for over 23 years.
- Learned and applied AIM methods that improved operational clarity and customer satisfaction during challenging projects such as “Hailstorm” and “Lake Effect”.
- Collaborated with five other local facilities to coordinate the placement of new navigational equipment in accordance with FAA standards.
- Monitored weather conditions during “Sleet Storm”, securing $10 million worth of damage reduction by improving decision making capabilities on runway decisions.
- Attained award for performance excellence; contributed to each year’s highest level of service for Flight Control Services based on customer survey ratings from customers had applied for service.
Air Traffic Controller Resume Sample 9
- Consistently met or exceeded the top ten percentile of all Air Traffic Controllers according to job performance evaluations in controlling thousands of flights per week.
- Acted as Safety Monitor during several phases the FAA’s complete installation and implementation of advanced radar technology (TRAX).
- Earned appreciation by maintaining control during every 20-mile echelon shift change.
- Marshaled resources during international air rescue efforts, rescuing over 4 million people who were at risk due to civil wars or natural disasters.
- Directed emergency relief efforts after Hurricane Katrina; activated hundreds of transportation workers under federal disaster protocol for aerial delivery within areas affected by floods, tornadoes, earthquakes, wildfires, and hurricanes.
Air Traffic Controller Resume Sample 10
- Tracked multiple high-altitude aircraft in congested airspace, both civil and military.
- Contingently relieved other sectors to ensure safe traffic flow.
- Actively headed off potential conflicts by simultaneously handling two inbound aircraft on conflicting flight paths.
- Promoted a service culture through peer coaching, mentoring, and role modeling.
- Offered real-time support in the aftermath of a September 11 accident with no loss of life or property damage.
Air Traffic Controller Resume Sample 11
- Tracked and vectored VFR (visual flight rules) aircraft through terminal radar procedures; monitored ground traffic to ensure safety, recording data on special forms.
- Identified and resolved several operational problems that were threatening the integrity of the airport’s system for protecting users during hours of dense fog and low ceilings; recognized by supervisor as an outstanding controller for resolving these problems.
- Provided timely guidance to pilots based on their position relative to other aircraft and established priorities according to type, urgency, and degree of hazard; enabled a corporate jet to take off after failing two attempts due to heavy air traffic congestion.
- Contributed knowledge toward developing new technology in the field of air/ground communications equipment that was implemented nationwide; recognized by company president.
- Exhibited self-control and sound judgment in stressful, high pressure situations such as emergency landing of hijacked aircraft and averted multiple mid-air collisions.
To work as an air traffic controller, you require a bachelor’s degree in aviation or its equivalent and a license by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). Air traffic controllers must demonstrate communication skills, decision-making skills, time management skills, analytical skills, concentration, organizational skills and math skills.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.