Art comes in a very wide variety of mediums, and one of the more physical is accomplished by shaping wood into a variety of different objects through cutting it carving. A woodworker can make everything from statues to furniture and many other things, and sell these to customers who will have them in their homes to show to others.
How to Become a Successful Woodworker?
There are no educational requirements and some woodworkers just use the skills they’ve gained on their own. However, to gain more skills and experience, some will attend an art program or apprentice under a more experienced artist, and some will work as a carpenter to gain more experience with the tools in question.
Typically, a woodworker is independent, and hires out their skills to customers looking for specific items they know how to craft, such as furniture or other wooden crafts. However, sometimes a studio will have multiple woodworkers creating custom furniture to sell to people in stores or online.
Being artistic and creative is very important, as people typically want their ordered items to be unique and pleasing to look at. However, structure is also important, especially for furniture. People will want their items to last a long time, especially if they’re going to be using it every day like furniture.
Safety is also important as a woodworker, because the tools you will be working with are powerful and sharp in order to be able to cut through wood, and a single slip up could severely hurt you or someone else. Always be careful around equipment and make sure anyone you work with does the same.
The Best Woodworker Resume Samples
These are some examples of job descriptions we have handpicked from real Woodworker resumes for your reference.
- Enforced on-site policy and safety regulations for state and local agencies (EPA, NYFD, OSHA, DEM).
- Arbitrated conflict resolution between subcontractors on behalf of homeowners.
- Supervised and instructed current staff and new employees in various aspects of architecture, structure, and safety procedures.
- Worked in a deadline-driven atmosphere focused on both individual and team effort.
- Engaged in all aspects of the production of texturized hardwood to meet client standards.
- Helped create a product uniquely tailored to the specifications of the client.
- Participate in project consulting and assist with customer questions and concerns.
- Manage production schedule as well as purchasing and shipping logistics.
- Responsible for building and finishing various wooden percussion instruments.
- Assist in the training and knowledge of product information for new employees.
- Provides design consultations for custom furniture and home installations.
- Utilizes reclaimed wood and hardware for manufacturing hand-crafted designs.
- Prepares cost estimates and financial reports for administrative records.
- Develops diverse marketing strategies to increase sales and build brand awareness.
- Design and layout additions, kitchens, bathrooms, custom furniture and general cabinetry.
- Create architectural drawings and build high-end, stain grade cabinetry and furniture from drawings Stain and finish cabinetry.
- Supervise and construct residential and commercial additions and general carpentry as well as install cabinetry, all appliances and fixtures.
- Trim work and mouldings, including focal-point crowns and large crowns requiring compound miter cuts.
- Design and fabricate a wide variety of complex steel and/or wood projects.
- Proficient in metal fabrication processes, MIG welding, and expert woodworker.
- Produce detailed drawings for customers using Trimble Sketchup software.
- Custom woodworking shop specializing in fabricating furniture from interior designer’s drawings or plans.
- Hired specifically to collaborate on a commission build of a replica Chippendale furniture piece.
- Worked with all woodworking shop machinery and many different species of hardwoods: oak, Spanish cedar, poplar, walnut, cherry and alder.
- Built cabinetry; poured concrete; framing; maintained work area clean and organized.
- Completed tear-down of existing structures and prepared for new construction.
- Prepared and cleaned construction sites by removing debris.
- Fabricate custom made cabinets for residential and commercial applications.
- Assist with estimates and design ideas to provide solutions and desired finish for all customers.
- Remodel, re-facing, retrofitting, wood staining, laminated hard surfaces (ex:formica), oil and water base paint.
- Install cabinets, doors, windows, trim, moldings, stairs, handrails, exterior fences and gates and fine wood trim to excellent finish.
- Constructed, fabricated, and installed furniture in both residential and commercial construction.
- One of the key requirements is knowing how to understand what the Project Manager, or Customer wants in relation to satisfying their expectations of what the job should look like.
- Completing the job in a timely manner is also mandatory.
- Established this business after having a lot of experience with remodeling, demolitions, and my own ability to build my own furniture.
- Design custom (but not limited to) furniture and built them to customers own measurements and fine details.
- Knowledge of all tools including miter saw, drills, multi-tools, routers, nail guns, planers, sanders, etc.
- Improve on my own marketing strategies and constantly doing more research to further my knowledge, techniques, and strategies.
- Designed, fabricated and installed custom cabinetry, bedroom furniture and closets for personal woodworking business.
- Provided excellent customer service through quality assessment of needs, clear and responsive communication, and efficient and precise installation.
- As the sole employee and owner, I managed the schedule, including travel time for estimates, the design and production of materials, ordering of parts and supplies, and assembling of finished jobs.
- Managed all the marketing, upkeep and stock of wood-shop material.