A patent attorney specializes in intellectual property law and secures patents for clients. They assist investors who apply for patents, defend rights to intellectual property, advise clients on patent law, go to court to represent patents, draft patent documentation, and examine patent legislation.
For many, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Patent Attorney Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Patent Attorney resumes for your reference.
Patent Attorney Resume Sample 1
- Successfully prosecuted patent applications before the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) in a wide range of technologies, including medical devices, pharmaceuticals, and software.
- Earned a reputation as an expert on post-grant proceedings before the USPTO, including inter partes reviews (IPRs) and covered business methods reviews (CBMRs).
- Obtained multiple patents for clients in industries such as medical devices, telecommunications, and semiconductors.
- Published articles on patent prosecution and post-grant proceedings in leading intellectual property journals.
- Lectured on patent prosecution and post-grant proceedings at law schools and industry conferences across the country.
Patent Attorney Resume Sample 2
- Authored the full text of 23 patent applications for diverse technologies.
- Drafted national disclosure standards on emerging technologies for use by attorneys across the nation.
- Designed legal strategies for major motion pictures, television shows, and celebrities to protect against intellectual property theft and exploitation.
- Contributed substantially to the efficacy and recognition of a Supreme Court ruling regarding software patents.
- Provided expert testimony in multiple cases including one involving $700 Million in trade secret theft; successfully represented client before jury trial resulting in unanimous verdict clearing his name.
Patent Attorney Resume Sample 3
- Authored two patent opinions and one trademark opinion.
- Formulated arguments for and against the utility of a proposed patent application, which outlined new methods to investigate changes in genetic material using gene chips.
- Presented oral arguments before the court that resulted in a favorable decision for the client.
- Drafted briefs addressing legal issues related to the prosecution of patents and trademarks; prepared cases disposing of appeals from a rejection of claims, affirmance on all grounds, correction of inventorship, reexamination orders, and requests for ex parte reexamination.
- Wrote software review comments recommending approval by United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) agent pre-trial conference with USPTO examiner.
Patent Attorney Resume Sample 4
- Successfully prosecuted patent applications before the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) in a broad range of technologies, including mechanical, electro-mechanical, and software inventions.
- Wrote and edited patent specifications and claims that were clear, concise, and enabled to withstand rigorous examination by the USPTO.
- Successfully argued patents before the USPTO in interference proceedings, which are administrative trials to determine who is the first inventor of a patented invention.
- Managed a docket of more than 200 pending patent applications and developed an expertise in patent prosecution within specific technology areas.
- Garnered a reputation as a leader in the field of patent prosecution with clients, patent agents, and fellow professionals.
Patent Attorney Resume Sample 5
- Successfully prosecuted patent applications before the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) in a wide variety of technological areas.
- Demonstrated expertise in managing large patent portfolios, including conducting freedom-to-operate and due diligence studies.
- Adept at working with inventors to develop their inventions into marketable products.
- Proven ability to obtain strong patent protection for clients’ intellectual property rights.
- Earned a reputation as an aggressive litigator when necessary to protect client’s interests in court.
Patent Attorney Resume Sample 6
- Successfully prosecuted 5 patents relating to electric vehicles, medical devices, and manufacturing processes.
- Argued a motion resulting in the invalidation of a patent asserted against a client, saving the client millions of dollars in potential damages.
- Earned recognition as a leading patent prosecutor by the National Law Journal; ranked in the top 5% of attorneys nationally.
- Frequently lectures on patent prosecution and strategy before groups of attorneys and law students.
- Wrote article for the ABA Journal on changes to patent law under the America Invents Act; contributed to national debate on these changes.
Patent Attorney Resume Sample 7
- Cited 491 references in a 38-page patent application, ensuring that the intellectual property was both novel and non-obvious.
- Drafted a successful motion for summary judgment which resulted in a dismissal without trial of a $2 million infringement case.
- Negotiated an out-of-court settlement before trial of a design patent matter valued at over $500,000 for the low sum of $50,000 cash and significant future product distribution rights.
- Represented client interests before the Office of Enrollment & Discipline Professional Qualification Committee to achieve certification as a registered patent attorney from The United States Patent & Trademark Office.
- Drafted an airtight confidentiality agreement that prevented a competitor from using trade secrets discovered during trial preparation.
Patent Attorney Resume Sample 8
- Secured first patent for client company in less than 8 months from filing date; invention represented a new paradigm in the industry.
- Won case against multi-national conglomerate in district court; damages totaled more than $4 million and were the largest ever awarded for a single patent infringement.
- Successfully defended client’s intellectual property in multiple inter partes reviews, resulting in affirmed patents.
- Wrote amicus curiae briefs on behalf of major trade organizations before the U.S. Supreme Court, which led to changes in the law that benefited clients across the country.
- Published extensively on cutting-edge issues in patent law, and has been quoted in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and other top-tier publications.
Patent Attorney Resume Sample 9
- Amended five patent applications, making them “substantially compliant” with USPTO regulations.
- Negotiated a license agreement of undisclosed value between two corporations for the rights to technology developed by the R&D department under my lead.
- Assisted in overseeing and managing intellectual property portfolio worth more than $4 million, including new patents being filed and several trademarks being registered around the world.
- Successfully enforced a breach-of-contract action against a former litigation client for more than $100,000 obtained as compensation for damages sustained due to copyright infringement by a competitor.
- Expanded an existing business relationship into new global markets; supplied patent protection services to companies in Australia, Brazil, China, Japan, Russia, South Korea.
Patent Attorney Resume Sample 10
- Authored a patent application that was awarded by the United States Patent and Trademark Office, successfully prosecuting applicant’s right in four related foreign jurisdictions.
- Resolved repetitious interference proceedings without litigation before the Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences in the USPTO by demonstrating to examiners that applicant was first to invent.
- Successfully defended a client in a jury trial over patent infringement for products worth $12 million after a three-day jury selection process.
- Presented arguments before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit on three separate occasions resulting in final judgement in favor of clients valued at approximately $22 million dollars.
- Drafted claims and arguments for multiple inter partes review proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, resulting in the invalidation of multiple patents.
Patent Attorney Resume Sample 11
- Researched and prepared patent applications, appeals, and trials.
- Wrote reports for judges on issues of validity and infringement in utility and design patent examinations.
- Authored briefs regarding proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB).
- Advised clients on IP protection strategies to mitigate risk while maximizing business opportunities.
- Provided discovery services in an inter partes review (IPR) at the USPTO by analyzing information relevant to novelty and obviousness determinations made by examiners.
Patent Attorney Resume Sample 12
- Successfully prosecuted patent applications before the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
- Defended patents in Inter Partes Review (IPR) proceedings before the USPTO.
- Counseled clients on patentability, infringement, and validity issues.
- Wrote decisions finding patents invalid as well as infringement and validity opinions.
- Published articles on patent prosecution and IPR proceedings in major law journals.
A patent attorney must go to law school, and it is recommended that they complete a bachelor’s degree in science or engineering-based degree. These individuals must demonstrate critical thinking skills, mental fortitude, appreciation for creativity, advocacy for clients, background knowledge in manufacturing, networking skills, and expert writing ability.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.