A visiting nurse provides care to patients at home. Duties include assisting patients in physical activities, administering lab tests to patients, provide compassionate care, conduct physical and psychological evaluations, schedule visits, record documentation of therapies, follow policies and guidelines, and assess patient healthcare complaints.
Education includes an associate or bachelor’s degree in nursing and additional certifications or licensures as required by state law. Skills to succeed include demonstrated proficiency in providing patient care, excellent verbal and written communication skills, ability to lift more than 40 pounds, good telephone etiquette, a caring and compassionate attitude, proficiency in office software, proficiency in electronic medical record software, organized and detail-oriented.
For many people, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Visiting Nurse Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Visiting Nurse resumes for your reference.
Visiting Nurse Resume Sample 1
- Provided quality nursing care while communicating effectively with patients, their families, and other members of the healthcare team.
- Collaborated with physicians, social workers, therapists, case managers, and community support agencies to ensure continuity of care.
- Prepared patient assessments by performing home visits for screening before admission or readmission into a facility or program.
- Assessed patient needs by conducting face-to-face interviews; assessed psychosocial condition by observing interpersonal interactions between patients and family members in person during home visits.
- Maintained complete medical records by entering required information into the computerized database.
Visiting Nurse Resume Sample 2
- Assisted family members and the community with understanding the needs of aging loved ones.
- Provided skilled, expert care to assigned patients under difficult and austere conditions in war zones and on remote military outposts.
- Achieved highest patient satisfaction ratings; recognized for efforts by the Chief Nurse Office.
- Demonstrated strong knowledge about clinical trials as a result of extensive research into different types of cancer treatments before starting treatment plans.
- Earned awards for demonstrating exceptional nursing competency that helped save lives at critical moments throughout 15 years of nursing experience.
Visiting Nurse Resume Sample 3
- Provided professional nursing assessments and interventions for a wide range of diagnoses within a hospital setting.
- Fostered independent living skills to facilitate overall health and wellness at-home by teaching clients about medication administration, timed exercise programs, and healthy diet.
- Provided supportive care that enabled patients to accomplish tasks such as grooming, dressing, personal hygiene, feeding themselves and family members, cleaning the home environment (dishes, laundry), grocery shopping and food preparation.
- Assisted patients with spirituality through prayer; provided spiritual support during life altering events such as pregnancy loss/stillbirths/abortion; death of loved ones; end of life transitions; divorce; addiction recovery; infertility coping.
- Promoted independence by teaching clients how to perform job-related tasks; managed chronic diseases; improved quality of life; lessen hospitalizations.
Visiting Nurse Resume Sample 4
- Provided hands-on nursing care for patients in their homes, including wound care, injections, insulin administration, catheter care, ostomy checks.
- Assisted with patient fall management to prevent injuries and reduce patient re-hospitalization rates.
- Prescribed medications as needed for home health patients; screened regularly for side effects of new medications.
- Improved quality of life by educating aging parents on how to manage chronic disease within their own living environment.
- Developed a trusting partnership with geriatric clients and their families by showing respect and consideration; providing timely rapport reports to case managers and nurses regarding client status and needs.
Visiting Nurse Resume Sample 5
- Provided healthcare services to the chronically ill population in the home care setting.
- Recognized for superior clinical knowledge and skill in providing assessments, plan of care, coordination of services, patient/family education; effective performance with utilization review; recognized by peers as one of top nurses at hospital.
- Trained six new hires with excellent results in nursing theory and clinical skills.
- Cared for critically ill patients during an outbreak that resulted in national attention. Worked 18-hour days for several months caring for infected individuals without becoming ill or requiring any vaccination boosters.
- Created an innovative way to provide cost efficient care by creating a unique customized system drawing upon all resources within my purview.
Visiting Nurse Resume Sample 6
- Assessed, cared for, comforted, and educated patients.
- Collaborated with visiting physicians to meet the needs of patients through all stages of healthcare.
- Provided holistic care by coordinating services within community agencies to support patient’s medical needs.
- Signed off on handicapped parking permits for homebound patients; recognized by senior staff as an advocate for patient welfare.
- Trained new staff regarding the departmental policies and procedures; demonstrated leadership in health care delivery.
Visiting Nurse Resume Sample 7
- Maintained focus and motivation of patient through creative, interactive positive reinforcement during procedures.
- Effectively used intuition and clinical skills to diagnose and treat problems in a professional manner while promoting self-care at home within the limits of agency policy.
- Trained students making rounds with patients; monitored all aspects of care including medication administration, pain management, wound care, bladder catheterization, etc.
- Recognized for outstanding performance; supervised staff and new employees; maintained office safe environment and equipment.
- Eliminated drug diversion by establishing a proper access control system for medications; reported irregularities immediately to superiors.
Visiting Nurse Resume Sample 8
- Reviewed patient’s chart for medication regimen to ensure appropriateness and facilitate patient’s timely refills.
- Created educational material, including brochures, pamphlets, and videos, on multiple chronic condition topics for distribution at community events.
- Assisted nursing staff with administration of routine new patient exams; scheduled required laboratory tests; scheduled diagnostic imaging studies; scheduled follow-up visits with primary care physician; scheduled home health services where appropriate.
- Collaborated with physicians’ office nurses to coordinate work flow and optimize performance in managing patient volume during high census period.
- Conducted new employee orientations by preparing written procedures and documentation guides; coached employees on job duties; provided information required for HIPAA compliance.
Visiting Nurse Resume Sample 9
- Educated and informed patients in diagnosis, treatment, and home maintenance of chronic illnesses such as heart disease and diabetes.
- Developed rapport with patients and family members to ensure the delivery of optimal nursing care.
- Performed comprehensive geriatric assessments for post-operative hip replacement surgery patients.
- Presented at local hospital on the importance of exercise in preventing venous thrombosis.
- Delivered competent patient care by administering medication orders from physicians; effective administration record. I enjoyed working through complex problems and coming up with creative solutions.
Visiting Nurse Resume Sample 10
- Provided care for patients in their homes to improve health and reduce hospital readmissions.
- Conducted comprehensive assessments using the nursing process to develop individualized care plans based on patient preferences and needs.
- Promoted cost effective, quality patient care by following treatment regimens, monitoring effectiveness of prescribed treatments, educating patients about medications and side effects.
- Interacted effectively with a diverse group of co-workers from different professions that shared a commitment to quality service delivery for patients’ benefit.
- Superior performance resulted in recognition as Nurse of the Month on 3 occasions; also lead nurse during an agency-wide pandemic flu exercise simulating a full pandemic scenario across agencies.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.