Construction Superintendents manage the daily activities on different construction projects. They coordinate the on-site work of a variety of inspectors, planters, overseers, and laborers to ensure that a project is on schedule and up to code. These professionals must have good customer service skills as well as an ability to supervise groups of workers at the site. The top skills for this job are customer service, project management, time management, leadership skills, problem-solving, and computer software. In order to be a construction superintendent, you need a license from the respective state’s licensing board.
The Best Superintendent Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Superintendent resumes for your reference.
- Trained installers to make sure they installed the roof to the manufacturer’s specifications.
- Scheduled all service personnel and made sure that trucks were stocked with all necessary safety equipment and materials for proper repairs.
- Communicated with customers to meet and surpass their needs.
- Increased new home sales through innovative construction practices and professional, timely service.
- Established neighborhood community organizations to enhance group participation in areas of recreation, maintenance, and education.
- Cultivate relationships with staff and clients, with expertise in hospital construction.
- Supervise up to 20 subcontractors in a team environment to guide vision, strategy, and execution of business operations, safety, and the strategic plan.
- Instrumental in the effective completion of multiple high-level and complex healthcare projects across a wide range of specialties.
- Conceived, built, and executed a public safety program to protect students from school violence.
- Introduced environmental awareness programs to school and neighborhood communities in order to protect the environment from hazardous materials that were released into the ground.
- Plan the start and completion times and staffing for each phase of construction.
- Order materials to be delivered at specified times to conform to work schedules.
- Coordinate all on-site construction without supervision including daily interaction with Region/Division departments and city inspectors.
- Locate, qualifies, and schedule all subcontractors, negotiate pricing, inspect work quality and completeness, and ensure prompt and accurate submission of invoices.
- Conduct daily physical inspections of each house to determine progress and to ensure staff and subcontractors comply with company safety and quality control standards as well as any agency standards; oversee completion of walk-through items.
- Coordinated with different team members at the site for the timely completion of projects.
- Negotiated with subcontractors and vendors on prices of raw materials and labor.
- Organized training which helped staff in developing different types of construction skills.
- Held meetings with clients on the subject of general contracts, purchase orders, subcontract agreements, etc.
- Maintained a high professional environment among the laborers and staff in terms of productivity and deadlines.
- Trained and orientated threw all jobs, so have extensive knowledge of safety guidelines and procedures.
- Also experienced in Insulation and metalwork, lead abatement, and asbestos.
- Managed employees, trucks and material shipments, and safety.
- Met with local legislators to lobby for beneficial legislation for the protection of children.
- Oversaw the successful and timely completion of thirteen (13) million-dollar, multi-building construction projects in a four-year period by following up on subcontractors’ progress and evaluating their work.
- Private Medical Building for the Loma Linda Medical Center. T.I. including some grading and exterior work on an existing building.
- Remodel existing medical offices at the University of Loma Linda Hospital wing.
- Manage submittals as well as closeout packages using Word, and Microsoft office.
- Reduced cost overruns by twenty percent (20%) during three major reroofing projects; earned appreciation from executives for saving the company five hundred thousand dollars (500,000).
- Increased company revenues by fifty percent (50%) during one year by negotiating with service companies to reduce expenses without sacrificing quality.
- Responsible for permit process, RFI, CPE, RFP, email communication, and safety meetings.
- Maintain updates to schedule for PM review as impacted by on sites conditions.
- Organize/ maintain subcontractor contracts and manage productivity and performance of all work.
- Convinced management to donate three hundred thousand dollars worth of new building materials to the local community center so that construction could begin on playground expansion.
- Led the implementation of trail design and construction plans according to specifications mandated by state funding regulations.
- Management of three sites with 20 buildings and over 200 telecommunications closets.
- Ticket assignment using BMC Remedy for the above locations plus other sites out of state.
- Since acquiring the position I have managed disaster recovery, streamlined departments with fewer personnel, and improved customer relations and project turnaround time.
- Established trust, communication, and cooperation with project stakeholders and contractors.
- Constructed a new medical facility for Geneva Hospital, resulting in a cost savings of $30 million.
- Directs all field personnel to achieve completion of the project on schedule, within budget, with quality workmanship that conforms to original plans and specifications.
- Maintains positive relationships with customers, contractors, suppliers, and other employees.
- Promotes job site safety encourages safe work practices and rectifies job site hazards immediately.
- Ensures all company employees and contractors are adhering to the company safety policy.
- Managed documentation for a new commercial building in Honolulu; completed project with no rework or change orders through the completion of construction.
- Responsible for several medium and large Sacramento apartment complex projects that consisted of renovating 200-300 plus units into studios, one, two, or three-bedroom units along with several townhouse configurations.
- For each project, all units were completely renovated with paint, carpet, tile, windows, sliding door, kitchen and bathroom cabinetry, and fixtures throughout.
- Responsible to make sure all general contractors and sub-contractors were on schedule and completed their assigned projects, in each unit according to architectural plans and phases planned by project management and owners.
- Oversaw projects from concept to completion, including 210,000 ft² (19,000 m²) of retail stores, utilizing multiple work crews and subcontractors.
- Preserved historic documents and relics worth more than $50 million during the demolition and revitalization of the Honolulu Town Hall.
- Responsible for scheduling, inspections, quality control, and job site safety.
- Schedule subcontractors, consultants, and vendors on a critical path to ensure timely completion.
- Perform quality control duties and responsibilities regarding the work being performed.
- Introduced OSHA safety regulations throughout the entire military base upon determining that current policies were antiquated and ineffective.
- Directed over 100 employees in the performance of a wide variety of tasks.
- Responsible for scheduling, inspections, quality control, and job site safety.
- Essential functions include scheduling subcontractors, consultants, and vendors in the critical paths to ensure the timely completion of the project.
- Work with team to develop scopes of work and assist as needed in developing estimates for each project.
- Negotiate and buy out scopes of work with subcontractors within the agreed-upon scope and budget.
- Established and supervised the relocation of hundreds of workers and equipment.
How to Become a Successful Superintendent?
- The educational path to this career can be quite varied due to the many responsibilities the job entails and the many skills one can use to meet the needs of the position, which can be obtained by education in handiwork or real-life practice with the skills or experience with property management and the like.
- Generally one will start their career not as the superintendent but as an administrative assistant for the office of a building or as one of the many people working on the repair crew for electricity or plumbing. Here you will become acquainted with the facility and its needs as you proceed.
- Once you become the building superintendent one of your primary responsibilities will be the general upkeep of the establishment on all fronts, and this requires an excellent sense of organization and multitasking to keep everything on track and make sure that no aspects are forgotten.
- As you will be working to serve your tenants, you will want to be available and approachable so they feel comfortable coming to you with their various needs and issues. Happy tenants that feel you take their concerns seriously are far more likely to stay and recommend your establishment to others.
When people reside in a building of any level from simple apartments to high-class condos, they will always want it to be safe and running efficiently, from the water to the electricity, and they will expect repairs quickly. A building superintendent works to make sure these needs are met and that clients don’t have any concerns or needs.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.