When people reside in a building of any level from simple apartments to high class condos, they will always want it to be safe and running efficiently, from the water to the electricity, and they will expect repairs quickly. A building superintendent works to make sure these needs are met and that clients don’t have any concerns or needs.
How to Become a Successful Superintendent?
- The educational path to this career can be quite varied due to the many responsibilities the job entails and the many skills one can use to meet the needs of the position, which can be obtained by an education in handiwork or real life practice with the skills or experience with property management and the like.
- Generally one will start their career not as the superintendent but as an administrative assistant for the office of a building or as one of the many people working on the repair crew for electricity or plumbing. Here you will become acquainted to the facility and its needs as you proceed.
- Once you become the building superintendent one of your primary responsibilities will be the general upkeep of the establishment on all fronts, and this requires an excellent sense of organization and multitasking to keep everything in track and make sure that no aspects are forgotten.
- As you will be working to serve your tenants, you will want to be available and approachable so they feel comfortable coming to you with their various needs and issues. Happy tenants that feel you take their concerns seriously are far more likely to stay and recommend your establishment to others.
The Best Superintendent Resume Samples
These are some examples of job descriptions we have handpicked from real Superintendent resumes for your reference.
- Trained installers to make sure they installed roof to manufacturer’s specifications.
- Scheduled all service personnel and made sure that trucks were stocked with all necessary safety equipment and materials for proper repairs.
- Communicated with customers to meet and surpass their needs.
- Cultivate relationships with staff and clients, with an expertise in hospital construction.
- Supervise up to 20 subcontractors in a team environment to guide vision, strategy and execution of business operations, safety and the strategic plan.
- Instrumental in the effective completion of multiple high-level and complex healthcare projects across a wide range of specialties.
- Plan the start and completion times and staffing for each phase of construction.
- Order materials to be delivered at specified times to conform to work schedules.
- Coordinate all on site construction without supervision including daily interaction with Region/Division departments and city inspectors.
- Locate, qualifies and schedule all subcontractors, negotiating pricing, inspecting work quality and completeness and ensuring prompt and accurate submission of invoices.
- Conduct daily physical inspections of each house to determine progress and to ensure staff and subcontractors comply with company safety and quality control standards as well as any agency standards; oversees completion of walk through items.
- Coordinated with different team members at the site for the timely completion of projects.
- Negotiated with subcontractors and vendors on prices of raw materials and labor.
- Organized training which helped staff in developing different types of construction skills.
- Held meetings with clients on subject of general contracts, purchase orders, subcontract agreements, etc.
- Maintained high professional environment among the laborers and staff in terms of productivity and deadlines.
- Trained and orientated threw all jobs, so have extinsive knowledge on safety guidlines and procedures.
- Also exprienced in Insulation and metal work, lead abatement, and asbestos.
- Managed employees, trucks and material shipments, and safety.
- Private Medical Building for the Loma Linda Medical Center. T.I. including some grading and exterior work on existing building.
- Remodel existing medical offices at the university of Loma Linda Hospital wing.
- Manage submittals as well as close out packages using Word, Microsoft office.
- Responsible for permit process, RFI, CPE, RFP, email communication, safety meetings.
- Maintain updates to schedule for PM review as impacted by on sites conditions.
- Organize/ maintain subcontractor contracts manage productivity and performance of all work.
- Management of three sites with 20 buildings and over 200 telecommunications closets.
- Ticket assignment using BMC Remedy for above locations plus other sites out of state.
- Since acquiring position I have managed a disaster recovery, streamlined department with fewer personnel, improved the customer relations and project turnaround time.
- Directs all field personnel to achieve completion of the project on schedule, within budget, with quality workmanship that conforms to original plans and specifications.
- Maintains positive relationships with customers, contractors, suppliers and other employees.
- Promotes job site safety, encourages safe work practices and rectifies job site hazards immediately.
- Ensures all company employees and contractors are adhering to the company safety policy.
- Responsible for several medium and large Sacramento apartment complex projects that consisted of renovating 200-300 plus units into studios, one, two or three-bedroom units along with several townhouse configurations.
- For each project, all units were completely renovated with paint, carpet, tile, windows, sliding door, kitchen and bathroom cabinetry and fixtures throughout.
- Responsible to make sure all general contractors and sub-contractors were on schedule and completed their assigned projects, in each unit according to architectural plans and phases planned by project management and owners.
- Responsible for scheduling, inspections, quality control, and job site safety.
- Schedule subcontractors, consultants, and vendors in critical path to ensure timely completion.
- Perform quality control duties and responsibilities regarding the work being performed.
- Responsible for scheduling, inspections, quality control, and jobsite safety.
- Essential functions includes: schedule subcontractors, consultants, and vendors in critical path to ensure timely completion of project.
- Work with team to develop scopes of work and assist as needed in developing estimates for each project.
- Negotiate and buyout scopes of work with subcontractors within the agreed upon scope and budget.