The Academic Administrator helps students at a college or university to make educational and career decisions. Their dutes are providing advice on course selection, advising about the workforce, offering advice about applying for fellowships or internships, offering advice about alumni networking, advising alumni on interviewing techniques, and offering advice about careers and opportunities after college.
For many, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Academic Counselor Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Academic Counselor resumes for your reference.
Academic Counselor Resume Sample 1
- Developed admissions counseling program for 4-year college to provide applicants with information regard college applications, financial aid, and career planning.
- Created a process that effectively tracked and received undergraduate student enrollment data from high school counselors.
- Coordinated an application tracking system to ensure all deadlines were met by students who had applied to the university; coordinated the process of proctoring examination overseas.
- Trained staff on new admissions procedures and requirements; recommended cost-saving measures that brought in a profit of $260,000 in first year of implementation.
- Increased retention rates of incoming freshmen by 35% through written correspondence with former students who had not enrolled due to financial concerns.
Academic Counselor Resume Sample 2
- Effectively guided, mentored, and supported over 280 students through 12th Grade while fulfilling the requirements of the California State University.
- Developed and implemented a successful program for underrepresented high school students; encouraged personal growth through increased self-esteem, academic understanding, and leadership skills.
- Adopted an elementary school with two languages; provided all Spanish speaking parents a bilingual child care referral service to minister to their needs.
- Created marketing strategy for a non-profit organization; convinced six major donors to donate $30,000 towards the fund year 2000 activities.
- Coordinated research-based curriculum development with a professor in two public schools to reach over 2,500 students in grades K through 12th.
Academic Counselor Resume Sample 3
- Led and supervised the education program during 2002-2007. The unique educational program focused on academic excellence, critical thinking skills, and social responsibility.
- Participated in curriculum development of gifted, accelerated classes. Utilized innovative computer technology in homes by 80% of students to complete homework, projects, and tests.
- Held advanced degrees in higher education administration with 3 years of teaching experience at the graduate level.
- Developed and implemented college readiness models for each grade level during 2003-2007 that resulted in significant achievement gains on all standardized tests nationwide.
- Achieved certification to administer individual academic and career guidance for high school counseling, prior to 2005.
Academic Counselor Resume Sample 4
- Qualified as an assistant in academic counseling and tutoring programs.
- Mentored high school and college students through academic teaching and individualized success.
- Coordinated various programs in mathematics, science, and foreign languages for high school students.
- Developed “my first year of college” programs to prepare college freshmen for their first semester.
- Evaluated student applicants’ status, selected appropriate activities for students and developed a tutorial plan for them to be successful.
Academic Counselor Resume Sample 5
- Motivated, instructed, and guided student-athletes through academic and personal hurdles with the exemplary attendance of over 130 students.
- Helped to communicate the importance of daily spiritual growth from the value of self-discipline by implementing an Ethics in Athletics program.
- Directed a mentoring program for 200 African-American youths that improved school attendance and increased moral development.
- Provided quality guidance to 99 percent of all students; prepared student-athletes for individual contests and tournaments.
- Initiated a new student recruitment system resulting in 1,200 students completing their educational requirements including the GED program.
Academic Counselor Resume Sample 6
- Mentored over 200 students during their first two years of college.
- Received outstanding academic excellence award for student-athlete and instructor recognition in the senior class.
- Achieved the distinction of achieving highest honor award in the university’s “100 Best Students” program.
- Trained to achieve certification as a National Standards Certified College Advisor by ACT, Inc.; designated by the “SECACAP” (Self-Enrichment Counseling Association), to practice as a Certified Professional Counselor Education Specialist.
- Conducted two internships at national resource centers for career development and literacy.
Academic Counselor Resume Sample 7
- Advocated for students with disabilities as part of a team; provided parents, school administration, and teachers with information regarding students’ progress for the benefit of all parties involved.
- Actively arranged counseling contacts for at-risk students to learn coping strategies and life-management skills; improved school environment by promoting positive change.
- Organized workshops and assemblies regarding drug awareness and bullying prevention; educated guests about positive role models for success in academics and athletics.
- Earned appreciation as an Academic Success Counselor; shared knowledge about numerous academic programs, standardized testing results, transfer opportunities, etc.
- Achieved award for outstanding performance of duties as an Academic Counselor; helped students to select courses bearing a college and career potential.
Academic Counselor Resume Sample 8
- Aided students in completing successful educational plans for meeting academic needs.
- Guided students in personal and career direction, which included both technical and non-technical fields.
- Trained students to use computers for accessing information, improving test scores, and gaining employment.
- Taught students how to conduct job searches employing Internet resources.
- Assisted in developing a recruitment program that secured a total of one hundred thirty-five (135) jobs for high school graduates under my two years of tutelage.
Academic Counselor Resume Sample 9
- Actively solicited and recruited students to Project CABE, an after-school program for at-risk students.
- Followed up with students during their entire scholastic career; developed successful strategies for school improvement.
- Scored highest academic submission in a statewide competition for counselors with children in elementary, junior high, and high schools.
- Advanced beyond the junior level in mental health counseling after receiving certification from the National Counselor Certification Program (NCCP).
- Adopted a team approach to preparing student leaders by allowing experienced middle school Eagle Scouts to work alongside ninth-graders during their projects.
Academic Counselor Resume Sample 10
- Suggested and implemented new computer-based assessment tools to measure students’ abilities and personal goals.
- Instructed parents and students on the use of computers, CD-ROM software, data CDs, and personal computer applications to research career options, conduct job searches, develop resumes, and write effective cover letters.
- Scheduled academic counselors to effectively manage time while offering individualized consultation programs.
- Established relationships with business leaders in local community to promote awareness of educational opportunities through job/internship interviews or speaker engagements.
- Participated in seminars for the effective presentation of academic counseling services for at-risk college students and for military transition assistance programs.
Academic Counselor Resume Sample 11
- Thesis: “Successful Collaboration in a High School Setting”, honors degree program.
- Co-authored “Pursue Your Future” college readiness book and training curriculum, which has been adopted by several international universities, colleges, and high schools.
- Presented at the annual American Counselor Association National Conference on several occasions; topics included international counseling techniques and multicultural awareness.
- Launched a “Taking Sides” community service program that educated students on ways of conflict resolution; held two workshops in the school district regarding the process of education within a cooperative community environment.
- Supported creative achievement of students in a bi-cultural high school environment through the scheduling of after-school recreational activities involving drama, dancing, and music.
Academic Counselor Resume Sample 12
- Counseled 400 students and 75 faculty members coping with a variety of academic, racial, financial, and emotional issues.
- Served as Undergraduate Academic Advisor for three years during which time I reconciled the needs of countless students with the availability and limitations of university resources.
- Facilitated the development of a variety of support programs for both undergraduate and graduate students.
- Presented several papers at regional, national, and international conferences concerning experiential learning in the field versus classroom environments.
- Recipient of Outstanding Graduate Student Award; presented the recognition to students who had achieved high grades in grade school, high school, or college despite disadvantaged life circumstances.
You will need a bachelor’s degree in counseling, Education, or psychology. You should also have good listening skills, problem-solving skill, compassion, interpersonal skills, be comfortable working with different students, have a friendly demeanor, and have great communication skills.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.