Going to college, regardless of the desired degree, can be an amazing but simultaneously nerve wracking and confusing experience that will make students look for assistance both off and on campus for all of their questions. A student assistant is there to answer questions and help new students find their way through their education.
How to Become a Successful Student Assistant?
- The educational requirements for this position are somewhat loose, as most student assistants are hired from older students in more advanced stages of their degree to assist younger students with their own experience. However, a bachelor’s in education or administration should suffice for older applicants.
- Your primary role will always be one of assistance, so you will want to make sure you always strive to be helpful and answer as many questions as possible from students so they are less confused. If you prove to be a reliable source of information, the student will send their friends your way for assistance.
- Some of the most common questions from students will be about financial aid, classes to take, their prospective majors, and other aspects of student life. You will want to be well versed in all the potential resources available so that even if you personally cannot answer a question you can guide them to the right place.
Depending on your strengths, you may end up focusing on different aspects of student life, such as financial queries or social events. Working to match your specialty to your personality will make you a far more convincing and helpful assistant as it will make students feel far more at ease with you.
The Best Student Assistant Resume Samples
These are some examples of job descriptions we have handpicked from real Student Assistant resumes for your reference.
- Provide a productive study environment for students by monitoring noise level, making supplies available for use and keeping the study area clean.
- Assist students by answering questions about tutoring, directions, and by resolving computer and printing related issues to deliver customer satisfaction.
- Record, check, and approve students’ requests for study room reservations to confirm there are no conflicts with the date, time, and room scheduled.
- Promote service meetings, workshops, and other activities to improve learning skills of students.
- Mentor and assist students in choosing the right courses suited to their interest and needs.
- Maintain a positive environment and assist with answering questions that allows students to feel welcome.
- Manage office support such as accurate copying, filing, and answering phone calls.
- Created and executed about 40 job chains using scheduling tool Automic Appworks to automate the processes thereby increasing productivity and consistency of output, documenting all these processes and test cases.
- Created more than 90 reports using Business Intelligence tool Cognos and complex SQL queries and PL/SQL code for various department heads which can be used for future planning and decision making.
- Provided support for the IT team and enterprise information systems needs to different users within one or more function offices.
- Perform administrative tasks for a fast paced environment with a focus on student affairs.
- Manage ticket sales for events, and complete forms for guest registration.
- Interact with financial services to drop off funds and pick up paychecks.
- Organized and managed large speaking events and seminars.
- Conducted research tasks to assist larger projects led by professors and graduate students.
- Issued reimbursements for grant recipients and performed Salesforce data entry.
- Manage reservations & loans on equipment & materials for faculty, staff & students through FileMaker Pro Software.
- Implement quality control by establishing information index on the media equipment & its lending policies & procedures, as well as maintaining detailed record of equipment & media conditions.
- Evaluate renters’ needs & make appropriate recommendations, resulting in increased customer satisfaction.
- Perform a variety of responsible records management duties related to document management and electronic student record keeping.
- Ensure effective support for department operations and compliance with applicable public records law and regulations.
- Indexed and maintained transcripts, major changes, and withdrawal forms.
- Forwards information by receiving and distributing communications; collecting and mailing correspondence; copying information.
- Provided multi-language translations to assist students and visitors with applications and campus visits.
- Coordinated with admission counselors on event hosting such as Admission Fair, arranged guest lists, sat the location, sent out invitations and welcomed guests.
- Guided applicants through application difficulties; and accelerated application process.
- Inspect over 400 driver records with identical SSN’s to determine the next step in criminal investigations.
- Investigate criminal header records for patterns, anomalies, and suspicious similarities.
- Developed a spreadsheet to facilitate and streamline the merging of duplicate DMV records.
- Assisted students on applications regarding graduate level health programs such as medical school, nursing school, enrichment programs etc.
- Reviewed personal statements as well as prepare and oversaw scanning and organizing applicant files.
- Shadowed advisors on academic advising for students pursuing medical, dental, and health professions in course planning, career exploration and extracurricular activities.
- Greeted and assist students, employers, faculty and respond to respective inquires.
- Promoted events to student population using social media websites including Facebook and Twitter.
- Conducted benchmarking with undergraduate students to solicit ideas for future programs and events.
- Support modules presented by teachers and revising material with students individually or in small clusters.
- Enforce class instructions to aid students for more suitable performance.
- Assist teacher when preparing for lessons by receiving supplies ready or setting up equipment, such as computers, handing out test booklets and or paper and school supplies.