Social Studies teachers teach public or private school students the concepts of history, culture, geography, and government. Their duties include developing engaging lessons that align with state standards, presenting the lessons in an interesting way, evaluating student performance using observations and exams, assigning and grading classwork and homework, meeting with parents or guardians to discuss students’ academic performance and/or behavior issues, and coordinating with administrators and Special Education teachers to provide accommodations for special needs students and English Language Learners.
To work as a Social Studies teacher, you will need a bachelor’s degree in social studies or a related field, and a completion certificate from a teacher education program at an accredited college or university. You will also need to pass the general educator and Social Studies Praxis Tests for teachers that are required by your state. Social Studies teachers must demonstrate in-depth content knowledge, strong interpersonal skills, organization, flexibility, independence, be calm under stress, and be entertaining and engaging to be successful.
For many people, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Social Studies Teacher Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Social Studies Teacher resumes for your reference.
Social Studies Teacher Resume Sample 1
- Conducted students in extensive community service projects involving home repair for elderly and disabled, Habitat for Humanity, American Heart Association, clothing drives, food drives; earned appreciation awards from local organizations.
- Implemented learning units on World War I, the Great Depression, Congress (House of Representatives), electoral process.
- Authored student-made video on the importance of voting to be shown at all junior high school assemblies.
- Received Outstanding Achievement Award; presented individualized instruction based upon student performance.
- Achieved exemplary student test scores (e.g., perfect 100% score on final exam with 85 multi-grade level students).
Social Studies Teacher Resume Sample 2
- Enlivened students’ interest in history by delivering dynamic class presentations.
- Actively involved with PTA and school community organizations to promote the welfare of all children.
- Managed after-school tutoring program for immigrant children, teaching evidentiary writing skills and social studies topics.
- Edited a student film project that received a regional Emmy Award nomination.
- Promoted interdisciplinary learning as a member of conceptual staff development teams at two schools simultaneously.
Social Studies Teacher Resume Sample 3
- Created a positive learning environment for social studies, English, physical education and primary grades.
- Mentored, tutored and advised students as needed to ensure academic success.
- Assisted student council members in planning school activities such as homecoming festivities, spirit week, class field trips and banquets.
- Collaborated with faculty to provide project-based curriculum designed to motivate students’ interest in world cultures, history and society.
- Attended conferences on teaching methods and developed lesson plans based upon professional readings; integrated relevant themes across subject areas.
Social Studies Teacher Resume Sample 4
- Awarded for outstanding school district student support by the State of Florida
- Presented micro-teaching to other faculty members for professional evaluations.
- Recognized as a teacher that truly cares about life-long learning, culturally aware, and socially responsible global citizens.
- Received Excellence in Teaching honor from the National Honor Society chapter at high school.
- Contributed to an increase in state judging scores on reading exams annually, because of consistent classroom instruction using varied teaching techniques.
Social Studies Teacher Resume Sample 5
- Helped students develop a better understanding of world cultures while promoting the appreciation of differences.
- Designed and implemented an enhanced history curriculum that allowed for a greater depth in social studies course content.
- Increased student achievement by 20% through development and implementation of a school-wide personal paradigm shift for learning.
- Oversaw daily operations of more than twenty-five co-workers from different departments within the school district to ensure successful completion of all scheduled functions.
- Promoted harmonious relationships between community, parents, teachers, students, and administration during difficult crisis situations.
Social Studies Teacher Resume Sample 6
- Designed instructional unit to incorporate National History Day theme.
- Coached students for regional, national, and international history fair competitions.
- Was named outstanding educator of America in 2005-2006.
- Received Outstanding Educator Award for cooperation with other staff members.
- Teamed up with NASA to help analyze moon rocks collected by Apollo astronauts during the 1960’s and 1970’s using high school telescope technologies.
Social Studies Teacher Resume Sample 7
- Provided safe and responsible class environment for over 300 students; received positive feedback from parents of students with disabilities.
- Achieved high levels of student engagement and confidence in an after-school program through team building and recognition activities.
- Promoted self-esteem, confidence, and responsibility for at-risk youth during eight years of volunteer tutoring; recognized by White House for commendable service.
- Trained teachers throughout the country on cultural understanding, conflict resolution skills, and empathy through case study simulations.
- Collaborated with state association to advocate low cost curriculum changes that improved teacher efficacy.
Social Studies Teacher Resume Sample 8
- Held attention and interest of students to present topics in a clear, accurate, and interesting manner.
- Helped students realize the value of self-discipline and be successful in school and everyday life.
- Successfully developed lesson plans for effective instruction of social studies concepts and skills based on California State Guidelines.
- Organized after school clubs such as Student Ambassadors, Interact Club (Rotary International), Yearbook Staff; all which won first place awards at the County Level during the year.
- Wrote articles that were published in international magazines about United States government institutions that affect citizens globally.
Social Studies Teacher Resume Sample 9
- Delivered acceptance and understanding for students who were at first full of disorder and aggression.
- Earned certification as a Reading Specialist, enhancing my ability to lead children in reading comprehension and other literacy skills.
- Actively developed curriculum based on interests; designed lesson plans using music, games, art, and role play.
- Devised a program that enabled second-grade students with differing ranges of abilities to successfully complete one standardized test proctoring session.
- Initiated self-reflection activities after realizing the importance of examining individual strengths and weaknesses from year to year.
Social Studies Teacher Resume Sample 10
- Created twelve dynamic lesson plans that provided students with opportunities to explore social studies concepts as well as actual hands-on experiences.
- Received recognition for completion of National Board certification; created dozens of additional lessons based on student feedback and needs.
- Trained other teachers in effective instructional techniques utilizing technology, class participation, assessment, and reinforcement strategies.
- Chosen by fellow faculty members to serve as a coordinator for all upcoming field trips including bus routes, staffing arrangements, parent contact list creation, etc.
- Developed highly motivated students who were able to analyze social studies content through actionable commitment to projects that struck upon issues faced by today’s youth worldwide.
Social Studies Teacher Resume Sample 11
- Promoted understanding of history through research projects, field trips, guest speakers, and hands-on activities.
- Awarded for excellence in teaching social studies, including 3 years of perfect attendance, by State Association of Social Studies.
- Increased student GPA in American history from 2.0 to 3.27 upon return from maternity leave through the development of curriculum focused on American Revolution and Civil War veterans.
- Trained 4th grade teachers in new methods for increasing students’ academic scores; recognized by Elementary School Principals Association.
- Implemented new course on World History developed at the university level; received New Teacher Award for stimulating children’s interest in world cultures and issues through primary source materials (exhibits, artifacts, pictures).
Social Studies Teacher Resume Sample 12
- Effectively led class of over 30 students enrolled in AP US History.
- Gave 100% effort every day while working on the best interests of all students according to district standards.
- Developed curriculum based on current events within social studies, encouraged student participation with innovative teaching methodologies.
- Actively participated in school-wide extracurricular activities by mentoring after school Mock Trial team for 8th graders, and attending classes at local college to earn Bachelors of Arts degree in Liberal Studies.
- Volunteered within community by leading Sunday School lessons once per month for 45 people at local church through effective use of historical facts, scripture verses, and contemporary application.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.