Optometrists are responsible for providing urgent and routine eye care to patients. Duties include performing eye exams, prescribing eyeglasses and contact lenses, explaining test results to patients, educating patients on proper care of eyes, and prescribing medications. The top skills for this position are customer service, medical knowledge, sales, vision science, and writing skills. Optometrists must obtain a Doctor of Optometry degree from an accredited school in order to practice.
The Best Optometrist Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Optometrist resumes for your reference.
- Examined and refracted the eyes using techniques, instruments, and pharmaceutical agents to determine visual acuity, depth perception, and coordination.
- Prescribed eyeglasses, contact lenses, and other vision aids.
- Referred patients to ophthalmologists and other health care practitioners when advanced medical treatment was required.
- Ensured that the patients’ records were updated and organized for easy file retrieval and review.
- Recommended corrective lenses, medical treatment, and eye exercises for patients.
- Manage Office front desk in areas of manual and computerized scheduling, check-in and outpatients, billing including major carriers and Medicaid.
- Obtain collecting/processing patients’ co-payments at the close of the day.
- Review and track daily reports, follow up on customer calls and complaints.
- Office support activities include staff training and supervision, activity, and task scheduling for doctors.
- Provided staff support for the office; handled insurance and history verification.
- Prescribed eyeglasses and lenses to patients in order to improve their visual standards.
- Examined patients and offered them an accurate and correct diagnosis.
- Informed patients regarding their visual conditions and referred them to other eye specialists when needed.
- Researched, reviewed, and recommended new methods for improved patient care and satisfaction.
- Identified visual breakdowns in customer service between high-risk situations and customer dissatisfaction with communication processes.
- Dx eye pathology and strabismus evaluation including Fundus evaluation, Externals, Pupil evaluation, Confrontation fields, Tonometry, Optic nerve disc evaluation, Amsler grid, and Color testing and Stereo evaluation for Pediatrics.
- Supervise opticians and staff related to patients’ eye health and needs.
- Refer patients to Ophthalmology for follow-ups that are needed due to eye health issues.
- Have excellent relations with Ophthalmologists in the area which brings to Sight N Style a great number of new customers.
- Drafted a standard operating procedure manual; developed a better understanding of the office’s customer base to identify problems.
- Performing comprehensive eye exams with a high prevalence of diabetes in a mostly Spanish-speaking population.
- The sole provider of eye care in a multidisciplinary clinic with a high volume of patients suffering from ocular manifestations of systemic diseases.
- Providing treatment and management of ocular diseases with a high prevalence of anterior segment conditions and glaucoma.
- Provided vision care for patients under the age of 65; successfully managed demand for services and new patient referrals.
- Appeared in local, state, and national news outlets for effective patient advocacy and eye health education.
- Obtained a position in a startup optometry office early upon graduation.
- Diligently worked as the head optometrist to provide great quality eye care.
- Paid special attention to contact lens fittings and building a vision therapy department.
- Currently providing vision therapy for over sixty children a week.
- Successfully detected flechettes from Las Vegas and New York City, which had been fired from AK-47 and M16 rifles, respectively.
- Corrected vision defects of patients by prescribing appropriate spectacles or Low Vision corrective lenses.
- Provided education on disease management and its effect on ocular health to patients and referred to Ophthalmologist if same was detected.
- Pre-Operative counseling/education to (cataract and Pterygium) patients, supervised maintenance of Surgery Schedules.
- Made recommendations to prevent vision loss through disease or injury through outreach to military personnel at Fort Carson.
- Achieved outstanding performance award; enhanced clinical skills through education at San Diego Junior College, San Francisco State University, and Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Primary ocular health exams, including refractions and dilated exams.
- Fit soft contact lenses: spherical, toric, and multifocal lenses.
- Diagnosed and treated emergency cases such as foreign body removal, conjunctivitis, and contact lens-related ocular pathology.
- Achieved a 75% customer satisfaction score by providing quality care.
- Developed new ways to care for patients such as using a demonstration model to determine good vision and prescribing glasses with contacts.
- Pediatric eye examinations include treatment of amblyopia, strabismus, oculomotor and binocular anomalies.
- Fitting soft contact lenses, gas permeable lenses, and specialty contact lenses as well as ortho-k lenses.
- Low Vision examinations at Jamaica Plain Veterans Hospital include dispensing of low vision devices and working with ocular mobility specialists.
- Attained a certificate of completion from The National Board of Medical Examiners exam.
- Administered 0 Hours of Continuing Education units every year; passed all Professional Responsibility (PR) Tests within the last 6 years.
- Provide comprehensive eye examinations including contact lens fitting to patients of all ages in a private primary care setting.
- Diagnose, treat, and manage various ocular diseases and conditions.
- Work closely with an ophthalmologist to provide post-operative care to cataract, pterygium, and laser-treated patients.
- Provided vision corrective care to over 4,000 patients; including temporary contact lenses, “hard” contacts, and laser cornea eye surgery.
- Recognized for participation in a training program for medical volunteers scheduled to travel to third world countries; taught preventive eye care and performed exams on refugees from Mexico and Central America.
- Perform examinations on the eyes and other parts of the visual system.
- Diagnose, and treat visual problems, and manage diseases, injuries, and other disorders of the eyes.
- Prescribe eyeglasses or contact lenses as needed.
- Honored for two consecutive years as a top producing Optometrist with over $270,000 in sales volume.
- Opened doors of opportunity through leadership positions within the Optometric community; currently serving as President of local state association chapter; President-Elect for regional state association chapter.
- With refraction using autorefractor and retinoscopy Performed vision tests and analyzed results.
- Diagnosed sight problems, such as nearsightedness or farsightedness, and eye diseases, such as glaucoma.
- Evaluated patients for the presence of diseases such as diabetes and refer patients to other healthcare providers as needed.
- Promoted eye health by counseling patients, including explaining how to clean and wear contact lenses.
- Helped more than 1000 patients with a variety of eye and vision problems; provided glasses and contact lenses, as well as specialized lenses for cataract surgery.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.