Newspaper Reporters are responsible for gathering facts and information to write articles. Their duties include generating story ideas, producing multimedia content, researching topics, attending events, conducting interviews and writing articles.
For many, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Newspaper Reporter Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Newspaper Reporter resumes for your reference.
Newspaper Reporter Resume Sample 1
- Wrote 2,000-word investigative feature on statewide political corruption, resulting in the resignation of the governor.
- Covered major breaking news events as they unfolded, including a mass shooting, a major fire, and a citywide blackout.
- Produced award-winning series of investigative reports on fraudulent business practices that cost local consumers millions of dollars.
- Earned a reputation as one of the most reliable and hardworking reporters in the city.
- Was repeatedly selected by editors to lead coverage of high-profile stories.
Newspaper Reporter Resume Sample 2
- Covered breaking news stories as they unfolded, including a devastating fire at a chemical plant and the city’s first murder in over a decade.
- Wrote feature stories profiling local residents, such as the owner of the only independent bookstore in town and a woman who had opened her home to refugees fleeing the war in Syria.
- Earned recognition from the editorial board for my investigative work into corruption within the city government.
- Was twice selected as “Reporter of the Month” by my newspaper’s management team.
- Received a national award from the Society of Professional Journalists for my series of articles on migrant workers living in deplorable conditions.
Newspaper Reporter Resume Sample 3
- Wrote extensively on a wide range of topics, from hard news to features and profiles, for the company’s online and print platforms.
- Broke several important stories, including an exclusive on the city’s new mayor that was picked up by other media outlets.
- Received recognition from editors for quality work, with some pieces garnering hundreds of shares and likes on social media.
- Was part of a team that won an award from the National Newspaper Association for investigative reporting.
- Demonstrated strong skills in data analysis and visualization, which helped her produce impactful stories with greater reach.
Newspaper Reporter Resume Sample 4
- Wrote and edited 30 news articles, 12 sports articles, and 2 columns for local newspaper; earned recognition as top feature writer.
- Delivered 320 stories to daily paper, resulting in high visibility as a valued employee; recognized by peers as the most productive reporter on staff.
- Contributed approximately 60 unique ideas to improve section coverage; selected as one of two reporters assigned to cover international news.
- Trained 8 new employees and 1 intern during my tenure at the newspaper; recognized for excellence in teaching reporting skills.
- Received 3 awards from professional organization including Best Editorial Columnist for 2004 – 2005.
Newspaper Reporter Resume Sample 5
- Wrote dozens of articles that received attention from local and national readers, including one that was featured on the front page of the Huffington Post.
- Won awards for excellence in writing from both the local newspaper association and the Society of Professional Journalists.
- Interviewed newsmakers from a wide variety of backgrounds, including college presidents, CEOs, and even a Miss America runner-up.
- Experienced in beats ranging from education to business to politics to crime.
- Consistently met or exceeded deadlines, even under high pressure conditions.
Newspaper Reporter Resume Sample 6
- Covered breaking news stories and wrote enterprise features on a wide range of topics, from politics and crime to education and the arts.
- Wrote award-winning investigative pieces that led to changes in state policy and community betterment.
- Earned a reputation as an expert on city politics, which led to regular invitations to appear as a commentator on local television and radio programs.
- Authored two books on regional history.
- Was twice nominated for a Pulitzer Prize for excellence in journalism.
Newspaper Reporter Resume Sample 7
- Accurate and reliable by adding three extra editorial hours per week; gained popularity with readers for effective investigative reporting.
- Achieved weekly circulation increase of 10,000 copies through developing relationships within the community to build advertising revenue.
- Recognized as News Reporter of the Year for delivering custom-fit stories after discovering hidden trends and issues that met interests of major advertisers.
- Won first place in sports writing contest for feature article about an unheralded high school basketball team that made it to state finals unexpectedly.
- Thorough and comprehensive knowledge of newspaper structure and functions led to promotion as Assistant City Editor after only three months on staff.
Newspaper Reporter Resume Sample 8
- Provided first-hand coverage of the incident on the scene.
- Earned an award for thorough reporting of events, including images and video clips, in a way that put the reader at the scene.
- Received recognition from peers and superiors for outstanding performance.
- Developed extensive connections with individuals and groups to bring firsthand stories to print and electronic media outlets.
- Successfully built network connections across international boundaries; secured high-profile interviews with individuals in politics, business, entertainment, sports, science, and technology around the world.
Newspaper Reporter Resume Sample 9
- In the following article I landed my first job with a paper obtaining an interview through press release work.
- Won several awards for weekly, monthly, and feature articles based on editor-chosen criteria including accuracy, clarity, community interest, enterprise or originality, reader appeal, style of writing, news value.
- Covered city council meetings in which I was the only reporter present; beat out three other reporters to get major story due to extensive coverage of issue.
- Developed intimate knowledge of the community working closely with members who contributed their viewpoints directly or indirectly about multiple social issues impacting people’s livelihoods.
- Hired by top in town as full-time staff writer after proving myself as freelance reporter, contributing to the paper on a regular basis.
Newspaper Reporter Resume Sample 10
- Reported on crime, city government, education, and feature stories for the local newspaper.
- Wrote award-winning investigative series on the city government that led to changes in state law.
- Pioneered use of social media to build readership and engage with the community.
- Interviewed national experts on a wide range of topics for feature stories.
- Covered major news events including presidential elections and natural disasters.
Newspaper Reporter Resume Sample 11
- Followed the story of a child diagnosed with cancer throughout treatments, through relocation to another state, and up until remission.
- Investigated, wrote, and edited articles on three unsolved homicides that led to arrests of all perpetrators.
- Identified issues facing youth during interviews with community leaders by encouraging honest dialogue about problems manifesting in local schools.
- Won first place for investigative reporting from national journalism society for piece that traced criminal records of government officials’ relatives to suspicious property purchases.
- Mentored college students in media practices; taught classes in grammar and composition while providing guidance regarding future career paths.
Newspaper Reporter Resume Sample 12
- Covered a variety of beats, including city hall, courts, and police.
- Wrote award-winning investigative pieces on topics ranging from corruption to social injustice.
- Led the paper’s coverage of breaking news stories, often being the first on the scene.
- Was quoted as an expert source in articles by other publications.
- Won several awards for excellence in journalism.
To work as a Newspaper Reporter you’ll need as much as a Bachelor’s degree in journalism or relevant field and experience, or as little as a high school diploma and writing experience. Newspaper Reporters must demonstrate attention to detail, ability to work under pressure and meet quick turnaround deadlines, organization, dependability, efficiency, flexibility and excellent writing skills to be successful.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.