Companies from tech developers to furniture producers require many raw materials to make the products they intend to sell, and this results in a constant stream of need for new supplies as they run low and transaction history that needs to be tracked. An assistant buyer helps keep track of everything so the company doesn’t run low or lose money.
How to Become a Successful Assistant Buyer?
A four year degree in business or finance or communications will be what most employers require, but some smaller companies may not require anything more than a high school diploma while the larger ones may demand that you have an even more specialized education before they hire you.
Once you begin searching for a job it is important to think about what kind of company you want to work with, as there are many out there and they all work with wildly different materials from wood to plastic to metal and countless others, so think about what interests you the most.
Your most crucial skills will be a careful attention to detail and beat record keeping, as the constant need for supplies is always going to require you to act fast while never losing track of the details. Missing even one shipment can result in having too much or too few supplies and q huge financial hit.
If you’re especially good with numbers you may be able to develop order patterns over the course of the years you work there, as the company will likely have consistent needs that rise and fall depending on the month and that can keep you ahead of schedule, freeing up time for other important tasks and reducing stress.
The Best Assistant Buyer Resume Samples
These are some examples of job descriptions we have handpicked from real Assistant Buyer resumes for your reference.
- Negotiate with vendors for competitive pricing, promotions, and other terms.
- Identify market trends from trade journals, magazines, and shopping and report on them to the buying team.
- Partner with Planning and Programming teams to develop strategy to maximize product performance based on analysis and item information.
- Prepare Show Recaps regarding performance of individual items using established metrics (On Hand Inventory, Minutes of Air-Time, Percent Sales Through, and WNDPM).
- Negotiate with vendors for competitive pricing, promotions and other terms.
- Identifying market trends from trade journals, magazines and shopping and reporting on them to the buying team.
- Partner with Planning and Programming teams to develop divisional strategy to maximize product performance based on performance analysis and item information.
- Present weekly recaps of best and worst product sellers to merchant and planning teams.
- Attend vendor meetings to evaluate product assortment and negotiate competitive costing.
- Responsible for entire advertising life cycle: promotion, product selection and proofing.
- Train and on board new associates on office policies and individual expectations.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to execute ongoing business strategies such as planning, allocation, product development, marketing and ecommerce.
- Assist in vendor selection and in developing and maintaining strong vendor partnerships.
- Participate in training and development. Help to develop and support a team environment.
- Assist in monitoring industry trends and in evaluating competition, and attend major markets.
- Provided information for the development of the merchandise strategy, and assists in product selection and key item development.
- Responsible for writing woman’s eyewear, planned up 7% for spring and 15% of total buyer sales.
- Write new store orders, reorders and any immediate needs across the six departments.
- Analyze best sellers and current trends in the market to assist buyer with putting together the best assortment to support gross margin and turn objectives.
- Manage markdown process of six departments including forecasting and actualizing to generate sales and manage inventory.
- Assisting with inventory purchase by analyzing data of past sales and understating current trends.
- Working closely with vendors, maintaining positive relationships while negotiating specs, pricing, and deadlines.
- Working independently and prioritize job duties, as well as preparing cost analyses and competitive retail strategies.
- Negotiate and collaborate with vendors and suppliers on a daily basis to achieve sales and profit objectives including promotional and seasonal activities.
- Ensure production and qualities are maintained from order to final delivery.
- Develop advertising plans thorough the entire year including seasonal merchandise while meeting critical deadlines.
- Prepare and deliver merchandise updates including Power Point presentations to Executives, Regional Directors and Store Managers.
- Inform Buyer of markdowns needed or new product placement on slow sale items.
- Communicate with over 15 vendors on best cost, mark down assistance and delivery dates.
- Confirm orders with vendors and advise buyers of any potential product problems.
- Maintained weekly spreadsheets of all PO’s: tracking confirmations, on time port deliveries, customs issues.
- On a quarterly basis I need to recognize the different fashion/market trends and identify the variations that will need to be made in the ordering process.
- Along with organizing the different purchases, I also manage the larger accounts for our company.
- In that I work along side with them to coordinate the buying and distinguish which specific styles are important for the different markets and customers.
- I am in charge of supervising the different aspects of receiving the merchandise, such as the shipping, trucking and clearance.
- Attends trade shows and market appointments to seek and select product and present category recommendations to management.
- Conducts open to buy for assigned categories and negotiate buying terms with our partners.
- Analyze various sales reports to identify unit drivers and key items as well as offer a breath of expanded assortment to drive sales and attract new potential customers.
- Manage product development, financial forecasts & buy plans for $100M in sales volume across 15 accounts in the beauty division.
- Improved the Skincare business by 10% in sales and 8% in gross margin, by effectively managing the OTB, introducing new product categories, and focusing on building tailored assortments for TV and digital channels.
- Assist Sr. Buyer in determining assortment by analyzing item performance and cost of goods verse last year to drive sales, improve margins, control inventory, negotiate pricing and present markdown cadence to planning team.
- Source new vendors and interpret industry trends to recommend white space categories of business.
- Work with production and planning teams to determine air time and build financial plans based on brand history, as well as develop and execute pricing and inventory strategies.
- Coordinate marketing efforts to build brand stories that customers connect with and are excited by – Guide digital team in creating online stores, content and experiences that complement the brand identity and are easy for the customer to digest and use.
- Facilitate communication between the quality assurance team and vendors and assist in issue resolution.