A museum curator acts as an advisor to the museum board, and is responsible for setting up exhibitions, showings, and managing art pieces and artifacts. Some of the general duties of a museum curator include making recommendations, planning and developing new displays or exhibits, managing collections of works, maintaining inventory, organizing tours, and providing knowledge and information to patrons.
For many people, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Museum Curator Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Museum Curator resumes for your reference.
Museum Curator Resume Sample 1
- Utilized assistants as learning tools to help students learn about the world around them.
- Was instrumental in acquiring, collecting, and displaying artifacts and memorabilia from events and occasions which made an impact on the community.
- Was observed by other staff members as a highly flexible person.
- Maintained a clean and organized work space that was well-stocked with museum supplies.
- Received excellent feedback regarding her knowledge of her assigned duties so well done!
Museum Curator Resume Sample 2
- Designed a novel exhibition that drew a record number of visitors to a museum, including a feature article in the Wall Street Journal.
- Implemented an innovative merchandising strategy to increase revenue through museum store sales by 47%.
- Organized and installed the world’s largest mineralogy exhibit.
- Collaborated to design and implement a strategic plan to revitalize the museum’s image using creative marketing techniques.
- Secured grant funding from private donors totaling nearly $60,000 annually.
Museum Curator Resume Sample 3
- Ensured that all information was properly cataloged, archived, and presented in a professional manner.
- Drafted, edited, and proofread all forms of educational material.
- Scheduled regular tours of the museum for research purposes.
- Recruited volunteers to assist with maintenance of the museum.
- Assigned tasks to museum staff members to ensure timely completion of those tasks.
Museum Curator Resume Sample 4
- Maintained large archives of records and reference materials; interfaced with numerous departments to keep museum materials; ordered and maintained office supplies.
- Prepared tax forms for museums and art galleries to accurately record donated artwork and funds donated for tax purposes.
- Supervised staff in preparing educational materials that were posted on museum walls, bulletin boards, and “iPod” media.
- Preserved collections to ensure continued availability of art, artifacts, and historical documents for public display.
- Organized media library and computer lab to effectively facilitate the preparation of publications.
Museum Curator Resume Sample 5
- Created the Museum of Japan (Matsu) Programs Curating Branch.
- Coordinated with the Board of Directors to develop and implement cultural events.
- Designed and coordinated school field trips to the museum, specifically, education programs for students in 1st through 6th grades. This included planning, transportation, materials, and cost.
- Maintained museum grounds; implemented new procedures during the change of ownership.
- Provided support for community outreach programs; coordinated curriculum development with local schools.
Museum Curator Resume Sample 6
- Facilitated the development of a mobile app that could assist users in accessing the museum’s collection of Egyptian artifacts.
- Provided expertise for an exhibit that highlighted Egyptian artifacts.
- Maintained the accuracy of the museum’s collection database, which included over 300 items dating to 1000 BC.
- Organized donation events with other museums in North Carolina to showcase the museum’s collection of Egyptian artifacts.
- Preserved several rare 1,000 BC Egyptian artifacts by creating an exact replica for display purposes.
Museum Curator Resume Sample 7
- Received outstanding performance rating on annual performance appraisal and promotion to the supervisory position.
- Managed a staff of four part-time volunteers and one full-time employee.
- Responded to the training needs of museum volunteers and management.
- Developed a volunteer database, which allowed for membership verification and membership renewal.
- Audited museum records on file to ensure compliance with FNS regulations.
Museum Curator Resume Sample 8
- Performed administrative duties to receive, store, and distribute collections; maintained the exhibits and displays of collections; maintained, repaired and replaced items in collection.
- Maintained physical security at the museum; supervised the fire department and police department.
- Coordinated with curatorial staff to generate new ideas on display choices.
- Received high level client satisfaction survey ratings from visitors of the museum.
- Correctly classified items as per criteria set by museum curator.
Museum Curator Resume Sample 9
- Created, maintained, and updated the museum’s collection management records system; identified needs for future acquisitions.
- Maintained record of all artifacts (including but not limited to printed materials, photographs, videos).
- Sorted and cataloged all materials used in exhibits according to collections records.
- Prepared exhibits for display; coordinated exhibit photography.
- Worked directly with volunteers to ensure that exhibits were up to museum standards (eg. age-appropriate materials, adequate signage).
Museum Curator Resume Sample 10
- Understood the importance of exhibiting and collecting museum artifacts, and was responsible for researching and listing all artifacts that passed through the museum.
- Organized and wrote over 600 illustrations for over 200 displays.
- Coordinated with financial institutions to build museum library, set up and maintain bank accounts, and consult with attorneys on loan documentation.
- Accurately processed artifact loans according to guidelines provided by museums, banks, and lenders.
- Maintained accounts payable in a timely manner according to bank guidelines; include meeting internal deadlines as well as deadline guidelines provided by customers.
Museum Curator Resume Sample 11
- Effectively and efficiently organized and maintained the exhibition of various artifacts and relics to align with the museum’s mission statement.
- Researched documents and artifacts, located missing objects, transcribed detailed findings, and prepared conclusions for display.
- Prepared weekly newsletters highlighting topics such as new exhibits, visitor news, upcoming events.
- Maintained the bookkeeping records for the excavation team; developed monthly budgets for rent, salaries, transportation/hotel accommodations.
- Assisted in formulating strategies to help the museum achieve its goals.
Museum Curator Resume Sample 12
- Researched, selected, and preserved artifacts for the gallery.
- Organized guest experience for the “Experience Paintings” exhibit.
- Performed clerical duties in the museum.
- Helped coordinate the placement of “Experiment” in the Museum Gallery
- Co-curated a video project for “Experiment,” which would be later shown on cable television.
Museum Curator Resume Sample 13
- Assisted the executive director in scheduling volunteers, arranging for facilities, coordinating tours, maintaining museum records.
- Verified insurance facilities for physical damage.
- Maintained museum inventory control records.
- Served as a liaison between the museum and other organizations that provide materials or services that are important to its operations.
- Provided support to the volunteer coordinator during yearly fundraising activities.
Museum Curator Resume Sample 14
- Identified, acquired, and preserved museum artifacts.
- Served as a liaison to the city’s parks and recreation department for potential gift donations from the community.
- Acquired artifacts from private collections through gift or purchase.
- Maintained a list of gift appraisals, including valuation of purchase acquisitions and appraisal of donated artifacts.
- Coordinated exhibits with outside parties for community outreach opportunities.
Museum Curator Resume Sample 15
- Focused efforts on community outreach and building a strong volunteer base.
- Assisted in the development of the first annual fundraising event for the museum, which raised $307,876 in sales and donations.
- Organized the donation of $7,000 worth of Chihuly art glass to be used as prizes for a silent auction.
- Raised $35,000 by spearheading a “Dress Down Day” workplace fundraiser that included company executives.
- Collaborated with volunteers and vendors to organize children’s educational programs that were attended by more than 1,800 students.
Museum Curator Resume Sample 16
- Increased attendance by 25% in first three weeks.
- Wrote a research document on the museum’s history and ownership for the Director’s use in a legal dispute regarding ownership of an artifact.
- Researched scientific data regarding the opening of a new exhibit in order to facilitate an educational experience for guests.
- Handled all day-to-day operations at the Museum Concession Stand, including but not limited to cash handling, customer service, and inventory management.
- Tracked sales tax reimbursement from state government for museum after submitting sales tax payment.
Educational requirements to be a museum curator are a bachelor’s degree in history, anthropology, art, or a related field. Necessary skills needed to be a museum curator are strong record keeping skills, computer skills, knowledge of preserving historical artifacts, strong written and verbal communication, organizational skills, public speaking, and the ability to work in a team environment.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.