Addiction counsellors help and counsel people suffering from drug abuse and other kinds of addictions such as gambling. Their duties include teaching clients on treatment options, keeping records of clients, conducting research on new treatment methods, counselling clients and teaching coping techniques, leading therapy sessions and referring clients to support groups.
For many, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Addiction Counselor Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Addiction Counselor resumes for your reference.
Addiction Counselor Resume Sample 1
- Educate, lead and inspire over 300 men, women, and children in self-defense, mind, and body health.
- Counsel individual clients to overcome addictions of alcohol, drugs, sexual dysfunction and eating disorders.
- Assertively address the needs and concerns of patients while adhering to professional guidelines regarding presentation of information for diagnosis by a physician.
- Achieved award for meeting customer satisfaction guidelines based on patient survey ratings from customers who had received counseling services.
- Received outstanding quality award; effectively compiled data relating to client counseling files.
Addiction Counselor Resume Sample 2
- Counseled, supervised, and cared for clients with chemical dependency histories to achieve individualized goals.
- Helped develop a program of increased accountability between patients and their counselors to promote long-term retention rates.
- Directed a successful peer-lead group that facilitated individuals in achieving long-term sobriety from alcohol and drug dependencies.
- Mentored a newly hired counselor on a clinical approach to treatment through demonstration and detailed instruction.
- Increased number of clients from 3 to 12 by increasing community awareness of the counseling clinic’s services as well as recruiting new clientele via word-of mouth referrals by current clients.
Addiction Counselor Resume Sample 3
- Counseled patients to overcome drug, alcohol, and/or gambling addictions.
- Obtained certification in the treatment of substance abuse problems from the State Health Department.
- Partnered with Department of Corrections to provide ongoing therapy for incarcerated individuals during incarceration and after release.
- Provided ongoing therapy for clients enrolled in outpatient drug treatment centers.
- Licensed as a certified addiction counselor by the State Office of Mental Health Services.
Addiction Counselor Resume Sample 4
- Organized an event for patients, families, and community members to unanimously express their appreciation of addiction recovery services.
- Established a weekly support group for mothers who lost children due to drug consumption; helped participants make peace with the loss and rebuild their lives around healthier choices.
- Received the Key Award from the City of Hope National Medical Center; one of five counselors out of 150 to receive this award due to exemplary counseling patient completions over two years.
- Promoted healthy lifestyle and sobriety among high school students by presenting comprehensive information on substance abuse prevention to students and faculty in local schools.
- Led self-help groups that improved participants’ coping skills through teachings on mindfulness, self-respect, and drug refusal strategies.
Addiction Counselor Resume Sample 5
- Provide individual counseling for 12 disadvantaged children, ages 5-7 years old, to impart an awareness of healthy eating and active lifestyles.
- Worked with 7 women (ages 18-23) to help them build successful health habits; assisted them in making longterm changes to include exercise, proper dieting, and overall well-being.
- Guided 30 clients through 80 group sessions; imparted information regarding the dangers of drug abuse.
- Convinced 23 family members to seek professional assistance for their child’s drug addiction; referred 3 of them directly into rehabilitation facilities.
- Attained success rate of 80% after convincing client #6 that they were not ready for rehab; followed up with this client two months later and received positive feedback regarding their progress.
Addiction Counselor Resume Sample 6
- Researched and referred to community resources people struggling with alcoholism, drug abuse, food addiction, compulsive gambling, or sex addiction.
- Formalized an alcohol/drug prevention program that reduced the incidence of youth substance abuse by over seventy percent within five years while supporting a school study curriculum.
- Restablished balance in the lives of the addicted while restoring self-esteem and confidence required for successful completion of treatment.
- Achieved recognition as Certified Management Consultant and received acclaim and respect from peers and patients after uncovering root causes behind addictions which resulted in lasting change toward sobriety.
- Opened up two private practice rehab centers; integrated holistic into treatment to facilitate recovery of addicts and the curing of chronic pain.
Addiction Counselor Resume Sample 7
- Trained staff and patients on safe injection procedures for both IV drug injections to reduce spread of HIV virus.
- Counseled addicts, from the street to the suburbs, on all aspects of life that included but not limited to pain management techniques, rehabilitation techniques, and positive lifestyle changes.
- Developed a prayer group for recovering addicts to encourage fellowship with other recovering addicts to improve mental health and sobriety.
- Tutored inmates in all areas of rehabilitation including addressing addiction issues as well as other quotidian issues such as budgeting for living expenses after incarceration.
- Mentored at risk youth who were high school dropouts by working closely with them during their incarc time to ensure they have a solid support system when released.
Addiction Counselor Resume Sample 8
- Counseled 20 patients who had recently suffered from alcohol, drug, or gambling addictions.
- Promoted an environment of recovery while providing information about life style changes that staved off the feeling of being overwhelmed by personal challenges.
- Lead a peer support group for twelve individuals with similar addiction problems in sharing experiences and coping techniques.
- Provided onsite counseling to prevent family arguments, manage children’s behavioral patterns, moderate spousal conflicts, provide immediate support services, and reduce job stress.
- Earned recognition as Employee-of-the-Month for assisting people in managing their dependencies on drugs/alcohol/gambling; maintained high levels of confidentiality.
Addiction Counselor Resume Sample 9
- Work with children and their families to promote healthy development and resolution of early trauma and attachment experiences.
- Assist clients in the transition from treatment providers and healthcare systems to community-based programs and quality care.
- Bring awareness of social, economic, political, environmental issues that influence mental health practice.
- Promote positive interpersonal relationships through psycho-education, individual counseling services, group therapy.
- Maintain client confidentiality while safely managing an independent clinical practice inside a private residence environment.
Addiction Counselor Resume Sample 10
- Trained with the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration to identify common co-occurring mental disorders.
- Provided drug & alcohol addiction rehabilitation services for adolescents with substance dependence or dependence disorder.
- Collaborated with medical professionals, teachers, child care providers, parents, law enforcement agents, clergy members, social workers/caseworkers, etc., to identify community resources to meet client needs.
- Worked with individuals diagnosed as being addicted to drugs of abuse; facilitated group sessions where topics of discussion included relapse prevention, communication skills development/enhancement, stress management tools/relaxation training techniques (visualization), self-monitoring (urine testing) etc.
- Worked a minimum of 40 hours a week while providing direct client service and/or counseling, attending trainings, performing administrative duties (paperwork) and attending required meetings.
To work as an addiction counsellor, you require a bachelor’s degree in clinical psychology and certification by the Association for Addiction Professionals (AAP). Addiction counsellors must demonstrate patience, empathy, communication skills, listening skills, organizational skills, confidentiality and critical thinking skills.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.
- The Best Addiction Counselor Resume Samples
- Addiction Counselor Resume Sample 1
- Addiction Counselor Resume Sample 2
- Addiction Counselor Resume Sample 3
- Addiction Counselor Resume Sample 4
- Addiction Counselor Resume Sample 5
- Addiction Counselor Resume Sample 6
- Addiction Counselor Resume Sample 7
- Addiction Counselor Resume Sample 8
- Addiction Counselor Resume Sample 9
- Addiction Counselor Resume Sample 10
- Wrap Up