Meteorologists predict and report the weather. Their duties include researching the earth and its atmosphere, analyzing the climate data, writing reports or forecasts, delivering forecasts in television or radio broadcasts, studying and interpreting maps, charts, photographs, and reports of weather to predict conditions, issuing severe weather advisories, and operating radar, remote sensors, and other weather observation equipment. To work as a meteorologist, you must have a bachelor’s degree in meteorology or atmospheric science, and master’s degrees are much more common and preferred. Meteorologists must be computer literate, have strong analytical skills, be able to solve problems under pressure, manage time effectively, have a good grasp of mathematics, atmospheric physics and chemistry, be current on new technology, and be genuinely interested in weather and climate to be successful.
For many people, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Meteorologist Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Meteorologist resumes for your reference.
Meteorologist Resume Sample 1
- Tracked with the National Hurricane Center during Hurricane Irene’s landfall.
- Received an award for my blog, “Beyond the Forecast”, in 2011, with over 300 readers per day.
- Grew familiarity with clients and expanded marketability through consistent radio, television, newspaper interviews.
- Identified strengths and weaknesses of major weather satellite systems to improve statistical forecasts by 10%.
- Published two papers on hurricane forecasting in peer-reviewed journals with international circulation.
Meteorologist Resume Sample 2
- Lead a television news team with zero errors in weather cast during most severe snowstorm in New York City history with 26 inches of snow.
- Assessed the atmospheric conditions, projected the path and amount of precipitation and advised on appropriate precautions necessary for anticipated weather hazards.
- Aided the agriculture industry by predicting long-range forecasts to determine when to plant or harvest crops.
- Identified civil emergency needs such as severe weather advisories, watches, and warnings that could save lives.
- Presented briefings before United Nations Climate Change Conference to discuss climate variability for mitigation strategies.
Meteorologist Resume Sample 3
- Assisted in the development and execution of a successful winter storm plan for an Oklahoma City, Oklahoma television station.
- Developed expertise in severe weather technologies, systems, and applications to improve local severe weather warning systems.
- Recognized by national projects team leaders with company-wide honors for creative thinking and high-quality performance on project work.
- Achieved award for creatively developing new forecasting methods; used skills to develop new features/models for 20th Century Fox movie “The Day After Tomorrow” (e.g., ice core driller).
- Wrote book chapter on atmospheric gravity waves; enhanced understanding of extrusion techniques in hydrometeorology and data assimilation.
Meteorologist Resume Sample 4
- Collected, analyzed, and reported data to the National Weather Service on an average of two tropical storms per month.
- Trained four television stations in advanced radar interpretation techniques for 17 years; recognized by the American Meteorological Society as one of the top three technicians in the nation.
- Collaborated with the management team to design a successful marketing campaign that increased traffic flow by 48% over nine months.
- Explored new market opportunities for telecommunication companies through the establishment of cellular phone towers.
- Developed highly effective strategies for public awareness on impending weather threats; created a new market niche for outdoor clothing retailer.
Meteorologist Resume Sample 5
- Used experimental data to determine the localized heating of wind speeds within thunderstorms.
- Developed a computer model that links very high-resolution microphysical modeling with mesoscale models for use in ensemble forecasting of small-scale severe weather features.
- Identified key parameters affecting ice nucleation and used satellite observations to identify areas most susceptible to freezing rain events.
- Improved forecast skill toward tornadoes, waterspouts, hail, and strong winds by calibrating a convective initiation algorithm.
- Actively engaged in study of Icelandic dust particles through observation and measurement at a specialized observatory facility in Iceland’s cold climate.
Meteorologist Resume Sample 6
- Led a team of meteorologists in producing original, creative forecasting content for WCVB-TV 5’s nightly news broadcasts.
- Predicted Hurricane Katrina to strengthen on 8 August; National Weather Service director cited WCVB-5 for providing “best coverage” of the storm.
- Forecasted 7/4/05 derecho (unprecedented widespread wind damage) through directed interview with the senior vice president at insurance firm TIG (US).
- Analyzed data and developed weather maps to determine atmospheric features that might impact business ventures.
- Developed new methods for predicting tropical cyclone intensity based on analysis of satellite images.
Meteorologist Resume Sample 7
- Researched, designed, and executed over 50 research projects for the Strategic Collaborative Initiatives Program (SCIP) at NOAA.
- Collaborated with diverse teams of scientists and stakeholders to achieve program goals.
- Identified and evaluated previously unknown air quality issues; identified mitigation strategies; wrote federal compliance documents.
- Presented research findings and data interpretation at 10 national and international conferences/workshops.
- Pioneered an innovative environmental monitoring system to provide real-time, on-the-road emissions data during major storm events.
Meteorologist Resume Sample 8
- Recorded, analyzed, and graphed all incoming weather data.
- Identified severe storms using radar; warned citizens of oncoming floods, tornados, hurricanes, snowstorms, and freezing temperatures.
- Developed software to predict time of rainfall in order to accurately analyze annual rainfall trends.
- Achieved honor for predicting severity of Hurricane Katrina days before landfall; recognized by FEMA director during national news conference which led to new emergency management procedures.
- Awarded research grant from National Science Foundation (NSF) for successfully designing new methodologies for atmospheric modeling while authoring five original publications in peer-reviewed journals.
Meteorologist Resume Sample 9
- Understood the principles of conventional and satellite-based observations, numerical weather prediction models, hydrostatics, thermodynamics, dynamics, data assimilation techniques.
- Presented research findings at international conferences in Berlin, Washington DC., Tokyo.
- Based on studies in fluid mechanics and turbulence theory conducted with NASA projects in the area of remote sensing of planet Earth.
- Detected changes in global climate patterns by analyzing orbital characteristics associated with long-term variability in deep space climate reservoirs.
- Won two awards for outstanding study examining wave-current interaction related to wind farm installations; presented at local conference after publishing paper in International Journal Energy Engineering.
Meteorologist Resume Sample 10
- Improved weather accuracy to 87% as a broadcast meteorologist; recognized by the regional chapter of American Meteorological Society.
- Pioneered the development and implementation of new forecasting technologies following the acquisition of my company, Dynamic Weather Solutions.
- Investigated and reported on anomalous weather phenomena including but not restricted to the Shangri-La Vortex and limestone snow in Ohio.
- Authored scientific research publications published in Applied Physics Research, Climate Bulletin Journal, Global Journal Of Science Frontier Research, International Journal of Astrobiology & Outreach, International Journal on New Energy and Natural Hazards.
- Worked alongside NASA scientists during the 2005 hurricane season. Researched atmospheric anomalies that led to advances in weather forecasting.
Meteorologist Resume Sample 11
- Assist in the planning and coordination of public and media relations. Monitor weather conditions and keep the public informed of possible hazardous weather
- Completed employment satisfaction survey with 100% response rate*; identified deficiencies, implemented new procedures to improve workflow efficiency, and reduced costs by $8000 yearly.
- Implemented improved systems to submit data on time without sacrificing accuracy*, accurately forecasted several storms within 24 hours of landfall, thus saving over $4000 per storm for local government agencies.
- Ranked #1 in state for radar interpretation score*. Earned certification from National Weather Association as a registered Broadcast Meteorologist (R.Met) and American Meteorological Society (AMS).
- Measured and recorded actual results and compared against forecasted data with a 97.5% accuracy*.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.