Medical records specialists maintain medical files of patients in a medical facility. Their main duties include compiling medical records, ensuring all medical records are protected and confidential, gathering patients’ personal information, preparing statistical reports, reviewing patients’ records for accuracy and providing clerical duties such as answering phone calls.
For many, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Medical Records Specialist Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Medical Records Specialist resumes for your reference.
Medical Records Specialist Resume Sample 1
- Accurately inputted patient data into the computer system. Provided valuable documentation for medical records.
- Accurately entered insurance coverage and medical treatment for patients worked with.
- contributed to quality improvement efforts by participating in a quality review meeting.
- Wrote a report that was published in a journal related to physicians’ clinical decision-making.
- Provided superb customer service to physicians, patients, and staff.
Medical Records Specialist Resume Sample 2
- Met deadlines and completed work of 35,000 medical records within the timeframe required.
- Created a database program to simplify clients’ billing information; by doing so, reduced error rate by 93%.
- Recognized as an employee of the month for outstanding customer service and a 30% increase in sales.
- Awarded outstanding customer service for exceeding targets on a national sales campaign by 10%.
- Awarded employee of the quarter.
Medical Records Specialist Resume Sample 3
- Researched and obtained authorization for physicians to supply medical records through a multistate network of computer links.
- Operated a state-of-the-art microfilm system to provide quick access to information relating to a patient’s hospitalization or release from a health care facility.
- Gained recognition as an outstanding employee; received the quality award for assisting doctors, nurses, and staff with the retrieval of medical records following the closure of two hospital facilities.
- Acted as liaison between medical personnel and computer service technicians; ensured that information retrieval systems were operating at maximum efficiency.
- Received outstanding quality award; effectively updated and updated personnel at the two facilities.
Medical Records Specialist Resume Sample 4
- Provided prompt and courteous service to all patients while meeting stringent state guidelines regarding the confidentiality of medical records.
- Assisted in the organization of medical records while keeping track of duplicate or missing records.
- Achieved commendation for excellent customer service during the flu season; promptly met the needs of patients who had requested medical records while ensuring all confidentiality guidelines were followed.
- Demonstrated exceptional computer skills, through phone and email correspondence with vendors, doctors office staff, and insurance companies.
- Recognized for exceptional quality and compliance; maintained stringent confidentiality guidelines while ensuring that patients were taken care of in a timely fashion.
Medical Records Specialist Resume Sample 5
- Accurately completed a variety of tasks including order entry, faxing, data entry, and data validation.
- Accomplished all responsibilities in a timely manner; maintained a strong positive attitude and good working relationships with coworkers.
- Received an award for superior performance; effectively performed the duties of the position with excellence, maintaining high standards to ensure proper handling, review, and submission of important assignments.
- Received an award for excellent performance; successfully completed projects assigned by supervisors including but not limited to processing patient information accurately and timely.
- Achieved superior performance rating; effectively handled responsibilities related to staff recall for sick time usage.
Medical Records Specialist Resume Sample 6
- Kept medical records up-to-date using EMR.
- Used the EMR to create summary reports for various departments.
- Coordinated patient data with various departments, including billing, information resources, appointments, call center, data entry, charting, and social services.
- Provided support to fellow associates by conducting 24/7 “Apple Works” within the call center at least once a month.
- Returned 100% of patient information to the correct department.
Medical Records Specialist Resume Sample 7
- Excellent customer service and communications skills; provided service and support to the outside community, facility staff, and other departments.
- Successfully performed union job duties for three years.
- Received award for teamwork; participated in office recreation leagues and softball tournaments to raise money for United Way.
- Productivity & time management skills; team member who took initiative to assign tasks.
- Received outstanding quality award; consistently provided accurate, timely, and appropriate records to stakeholders.
Medical Records Specialist Resume Sample 8
- Achieved award as a quality reviewer; effectively collected and forwarded data as documentation for loan processing.
- Received outstanding quality award; utilized database to gather and accurately process patient information.
- Received outstanding quality award; collected data efficiently and accurately as an entry-level medical records specialist.
- Earned appreciation as a call monitoring Superstar; effectively handled calls and responded to inquiries from customers with the utmost professionalism and class.
- Achieved award for superior customer service; responded to customers’ questions promptly and professionally.
Medical Records Specialist Resume Sample 9
- Maintained confidentiality of patient information; ensuring that all records were organized, uniformly filed, and accessible at all times.
- Saved the lives of three patients by donating blood when medical supplies were low during a hospital-wide blood drive.
- Actively participated in an annual Diabetes screening program for the Wellness fair; helped to prevent further health complications by identifying patients with diabetes.
- Educated patients on the dangers of smoking through participation in a lecture/group discussion at an annual cancer awareness event.
- Provided excellent customer service to patients by responding to patient requests promptly and offering guidance when questions arose during my tenure as a volunteer manager for a local women’s shelter.
Medical Records Specialist Resume Sample 10
- Achieved award for achieving the highest productivity rate by scanning medical records into the computer system.
- Met requirements for processing patient charts in accordance with state and federal guidelines.
- Recognized for outstanding performance by supervisor; received the award for high-quality reports.
- Awarded certificate of appreciation; processed dependents’ claims in a timely manner; provided quality customer service.
- Received special recognition award; compiled information regarding surveys conducted on hospital patients.
Medical Records Specialist Resume Sample 11
- Compiled pathology reports for more than 200 patients daily; noticed errors in reports and called pathologists on nights and weekends.
- Created laboratory orders on the computer to reflect physician dictated orders; successfully effected change on the first attempt.
- Corrected more than 300 medical record errors on the first attempt.
- Memorized hospital’s entire drug bank, compiled over 1000 drug orders over a six-month period after studying drug cards at home each evening after work.
- Pioneered the development of a new electronic system for all patient data, including time entry, transcription of patient records, documentation of insurance payments, and coding of drugs ordered for patients under my care.
Medical Records Specialist Resume Sample 12
- Aided physicians with the management of health information, records, and medical histories to ensure accurate billing and preventative care.
- Cross-trained to become proficient in three different departments; effectively managed interdepartmental workflow.
- Collaborated with others to streamline medical documentation; recognized for my ability to communicate with patients, doctors, insurance companies, etc.
- Proactively resolved problems that arose within the department; strengthened customer relations through my ability to stay focused on resolving issues.
- Received outstanding performance award as a part-time employee.
Medical Records Specialist Resume Sample 13
- Handled complex records transfer; effectively completed patient record refiles according to hospital’s special handling procedures.
- Trained staff members in the proper filing of medical records; received a commendation for exceptional supervision.
- Recognized for achieving top performance rating; completed thousands of medical records refiles, patient transcriptions, and general administrative duties.
- Awarded certification for having maintained 100% accuracy rate in the filing of patients’ medical records.
- Received award for upholding quality standards by identifying errors in patient medical records.
Medical Records Specialist Resume Sample 14
- Reviewed patient medical records to ensure compliance with healthcare guidelines.
- Responded to patients’ inquiries and requests for information in a courteous, effective, and timely fashion.
- Accurately recorded admissions data.
- Accurately documented all patient information on the electronic charting system.
- Completed accurate documentation of procedures performed by physicians in accordance with strict HIPPA guidelines.
Medical Records Specialist Resume Sample 15
- Performed Middle East travel for a delegation of consultants.
- Coordinated all communication between the U.S. and the Middle East by providing medical records for family members who resided in both countries.
- Performed a variety of tasks including patient administration, travel coordination, and billing follow-up for a high volume medical records clinic.
- Collected data for clinical research studies.
- Trained medical records staff on the new electronic medical records system’s workflow process.
To work as a medical records specialist, you require an associate degree in health information and certification by the Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT). Medical records specialists must demonstrate integrity, confidentiality, communication skills, technical skills, analytical skills, organizational skills and responsibility.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.