A Freelance Reporter is a self-employed professional who investigates and writes articles for clients. Their duties include writing blogs, writing advice columns, doing grant writing, writing about sports, writing news articles, doing business writing, and doing marketing writing.
For many, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Freelance Reporter Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Freelance Reporter resumes for your reference.
Freelance Reporter Resume Sample 1
- Was a staff writer for The Times Leader, a weekly newspaper in Wilkes-Barre, PA. Wrote articles on subjects such as the environment and politics for the national magazine “USA Today.”
- Partook in an investigative piece with a local TV news team that assisted the FBI in apprehending a wanted fugitive.
- Awarded an award for writing an article on environmental issues.
- Received award for excellence in writing; published op-ed article on political party finance reform within the state of Pennsylvania.
- Honored with The Capitol Journal’s Outstanding Online Reporter Awards; presented by PEN America as one of four “Top Investigative Reporters” worldwide.
Freelance Reporter Resume Sample 2
- Worked with a diverse group of reporters; gathered quotes, wrote news stories, and conducted interviews.
- Developed and maintained relationships with owners, managers, and personnel involved in the operations of the organization.
- Repositioned me under different positions according to my level of increasing responsibilities.; learned from and utilized techniques from individuals who have been in fields related to journalism.
- Pulled together information relating to the professional skills I had learned through numerous internships during my first year at a university newspaper.
- Performed duties such as writing, editing, and design.
Freelance Reporter Resume Sample 3
- Researched and developed new stories/columns for publications; accurately researched subject matter, covered assignments, and filed stories and columns on time.
- Received a National Award for Excellence in Journalism; exhibited excellent organizational skills, achieving standards of excellence as a team leader.
- Advertised/sold publications to companies interested in advertising while maintaining good relationships with clients.
- Handle conflict situations effectively with professionalism, providing professional advice and creative solutions to problems.
- Created news reporting packages that were published on a daily basis by the national syndicate.
Freelance Reporter Resume Sample 4
- Obtained interview and background information from corporate sources. Cross-checked information with police department’s report.
- Prepared copy of news story in a timely manner.
- Edited copy to conform to journalistic style standards and obtained quotes from proper sources.
- Scheduled interview with the company head regarding the company’s goals, performance, and outlook for the future during that company’s annual meeting or convention.
- Transcribed 5-10 minute interview into written format.
Freelance Reporter Resume Sample 5
- Researched, wrote, and proofread feature articles for small-town weeklies; earned $700 monthly.
- Produced a popular program for the local cable news channel; received the award for excellence in reporting.
- Developed an 8-page newsletter featuring community news, announcements, and column inches that helped increase readership.
- Co-produced a weekly segment on local community events called “Inside View”; produced 29 shows that were well regarded by viewers.
- Assembled and edited video news clips using an industry-standard editing program; also supplied narration to video reports.
Freelance Reporter Resume Sample 6
- Published 8 articles by March 2013; managed content, photo gallery, and assigned stories according to deadlines.
- Earned excellent results in a number of subscribers/readers; set a goal for increasing readership.
- Worked as a staff writer and contributed articles on topics that were based on customer feedback or suggestions and provided the required content with proper citations.
- Published a sample article to demonstrate the ability to compile story ideas through customer surveys, e-mails, and phone calls.
- Worked long hours to provide a story for the weekly edition; made deadline despite heavy traffic.
Freelance Reporter Resume Sample 7
- Created and edited two weekly stories, a front-page article, and a segment of an award-winning feature story. My stories were featured in 5 different papers.
- Interviewed local personalities and performed field research that led me to discover original ideas for feature articles and the development of the five-part series, “Poverty’s Most Painful Pitfalls”.
- Developed mind-blowing punchlines for my standup comedy act.
- Transcribed countless hours of testimony in ongoing plaints, apprehended client relations issues within the legal community, as well as helped to assist attorneys with their case management responsibilities.
- Performed dialectic and economic research.
Freelance Reporter Resume Sample 8
- Achieved an award by the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) in New York. Awarded for interviewing a public official. Used various verbal techniques to ask questions and keep the conversation relevant, and encourage her audience to listen and ask questions at appropriate times.
- Achieved a half-page article in the Daily Targum, a free student newspaper available on campus and through online subscriptions, on how I started my career as an intern at FOX News [New York City] during college. Along with my article, I was able to include pictures taken during my internship with Fox.
- Reported on issues and events that affected my constituents in the town of High Falls, NY.
- Achieved an award from the New York Society of Journalists, North Region for “Best Newsroom Blog Post. Awarded for my contribution to posting news articles on a blog. Achieved award in New York City and was recognized by the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).
- Selected as Editor-in-Chief of the Rutgers University Gannett News Service.
Freelance Reporter Resume Sample 9
- Worked closely with numerous organizations to secure non-disclosure agreements and interviewees for various stories.
- Helped organize the newsroom’s annual fundraiser by researching featured speakers, venue, flight, accommodations, and all other related details.
- Found manpower, explored finances, secured cover painting services for use in a bank magazine, wrote or edited articles, and documented results. All assignments were completed on time and to quality standards.
- Picked up an additional day job at a local firm in order to freelance less frequently – significantly reduced writer’s block symptoms for me.
- Developed a list of target companies for potential stories and then sold the story.
Freelance Reporter Resume Sample 10
- Performed extensive research and produced a weekly radio news program that examined current events and presented viewpoints of political candidates in the lead-up to an election.
- Developed a story idea and researched to draft short, hard-hitting pieces that examined current issues facing state legislature.
- Coordinated interviews with elected officials and candidates for media outlets; scheduled events, kept detailed logs, conducted extensive research, and drafted copy to promote candidates’ campaigns in print publications.
- Wrote feature stories as well as longer analytical pieces on local institutions, published by area newspapers; interviewed community members for source material.
- Developed a weekly blog that received a nomination for a regional award in the category of disability rights.
Freelance Reporter Resume Sample 11
- Produced a weekly magazine column that increased readership, doubled sales, and improved the brand’s reputation.
- Established a newsletter that generated new business for the company; helped increase revenue and profits by 50% within six months after launching the publication.
- Expanded media exposure; created a unique, one-hour show focusing on health and lifestyle issues.
- Launched a new television program that increased viewership; increased sales of related products by 50%.
- Wrote an editorial piece published in “New York Times” that received national recognition; received the award from Chamber of Commerce for establishing local businesses’ image as progressive leaders in the community.
Freelance Reporter Resume Sample 12
- Performed role of junior reporter. Achieved award for outstanding creativity in an article submitted to the editor.
- Achieved award for excellent research skills; earned recognition as a “go-to” reporter on stories that required original research.
- Gained recognition as a valuable asset to the field team by winning the award as “Best Field Rep” which reflects an ability to cover stories and obtain interviews/sources outside of office/TV station/studio setting.
- Recognized by office management for outstanding performance as a first-time guest-host for regional cable show; effectively conveyed accurate and timely information regarding new programs, policy changes, and upcoming events.
- Wrote freelance articles that earned recognition by media outlets; articles appeared in multiple publications.
Freelance Reporter Resume Sample 13
- Achieved top ratings while writing, reporting, and producing weekly newscasts.
- Published feature articles highlighting regional issues and events.
- Wrote columns promoting public awareness of community service groups; received the award for excellence in public relations.
- Researched and published articles on the topic of consumer rights; awarded Public Relations Award of Excellence by the State Attorney General’s Office.
- Collaborated with local law enforcement agencies to bring criminals to justice via televised reports on crime-fighting efforts.
To be a freelance reporter, you need a bachelor’s degree in journalism, mass communications, or an English related field; and you need work-related experience. A good freelance writer demonstrates an ability to meet deadlines, organizational skills, time management skills, self-discipline, strong writing skills, independence, ability to accept criticism, creativity, and networking skills.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.