A corporate financial analyst tracks trends in a company’s purchases and expenses as compared to their profits to try and predict what may happen in the future. With their data, managers can make more educated decisions about the company and worry less that they are timing their decision wrong or risking losing money.
How to Become a Successful Financial Analyst?
Most businesses will require some form of a financial degree, particularly in a finance field or business, especially in administration or accounting, though a degree in mathematics may work as well depending on the employer.
If a degree is not possible, you can also pursue an internship or try to find an entry level position that is willing to hire without one, or perhaps see if certificate programs will offer the desired skills for you to be hired.
Immediately upon being hired you will typically be put on a team of others entry level employers and you will report to a senior employee who will train you and to whom you will report to and take your tasks from.
After gaining enough experience of your own, you will typically be placed in a manager role and be in charge of incoming hires. From this role you can work on your leadership skills to assist you with further advancement.
With the experience you gain from working over the years you can specialize in certain types of products or businesses, and you will be in charge of more people as you ride in the ranks so keeping your leadership skills growing is a must.
The Best Financial Analyst Resume Samples
These are some examples of job descriptions we have handpicked from real Financial Analyst resumes for your reference.
- Provided financial management information by preparing financial status analyses and reports.
- Analyzed financial documents, statistical data, historical data and presents and interprets for management.
- Created pivot tables and charts using worksheet data and external resources, modified pivot tables, sorted items and group data.
- Developed quarterly reports on the major competitors in the industry and current industry trends.
- Prepared and analyzed P&L’s to help drive business decisions with both brick and mortar and e-commerce retail partners.
- Performed GAP analysis to identify opportunities with B2C and B2B businesses, performed hindsight analysis to track success of initiatives and measure results vs. expectations.
- Performed COGS/Inventory analysis to identify low velocity (excess/obsolete) inventory, collaborated with Sales/Marketing on an inventory liquidation strategy to reduce inventory value on ledger significantly and improve inventory turnover.
- Developed financial models and tools using Excel to better analyze sales trends and improve internal financial reporting.
- Identifies problem accounts with payers; investigates and corrects errors, follows-up on missing account information, and gather useful & necessary data to resolves past-due accounts.
- Serves and protects the hospital community by ensuring adherence to professional standards, hospital policies and procedures, federal, state, and local requirements, and Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) standards.
- Answer inquiries by phone regarding past-due accounts and insurance guidelines; research incorrect addresses for past-due accounts.
- Power user in excel using pivot tables and functions such as Lookups, Match, Index, Search and Conditional Functions such as Sumifs, Countifs etc.
- Responsible for financial data analysis, forecasting, sales and financial reporting.
- Responsible for delivering accurate weekly and monthly business metrics to senior executives.
- Cross regional and cross functional collaboration with sales, finance, accounting, operations, IT, marketing and analytics.
- Performing analysis and developing processes that help teams deliver impact marketing forecast and high-quality customer support.
- Focusing on Trust, Real Estate, Life Insurance, Health Insurance products, introducing international clients to a broad range of investment management opportunities in US.
- Developing key business insights, performing analyst in Industrial Investment, taking charge of business planning and marketing research and synthesizing findings to develop concrete recommendations and go-forward plans.
- Perform financial modeling and analysis for various fund projects in New Orleans including a 250Million hospital bond and a firefighter pension fund, prepare presentation material to clients and rating agency.
- Analyze tech-companies in VR, AR and Robotic Police areas, performed financial valuations, and assisted senior banker with research on potential acquisitions and fund raising process.
- Conduct market research on macroeconomics changes in China’s market and its impact to tech-companies in the United States.
- Developed financial processes for the newly commenced scientific research based project.
- Worked with the project director in preparing year-to-year budget for the 5-year project.
- Developed and executed the procurement process for purchase of research equipment.
- Improved fleet and network planning efficiency by 15% and effectiveness by constructing key financial model that incorporated industry fleet, hanger plans, labor forecasting with annual expenses over $3.5B; delivered presentations to directors and executive of FP&A.
- Won internal FP&A intern case competition by recommending new policies on pricing structure of bag fees and shipping boxes to increase both revenue and customer satisfaction.
- Improved forecast accuracy via financial analysis of key drivers of expense.
- Led fact-finding project to identify linkages in capital expenditures to improve operation efficiency.
- Selected to participate with a team of 5 in an offsite corporate research project.
- Used financial databases such as Capital IQ, Bloomberg and Compustat to analyze stock buyback, debt buyback, and dividend trends of Russell 2000 companies, in order to identify potential investment opportunity on small companies.
- Prepared and presented summary finding report for senior level corporate finance professionals at Cozad.
- Engaged in a wide variety of activity relating to all aspects of the General Ledger function, accounting processes and staff initial contact for general inquiries.
- Manage month end closing cycle, perform GL consolidation processes, intercompany eliminations and analysis.
- Leverage broad knowledge and expertise to review and analyze 500+ accounts to ensure completeness, accuracy and proper balance sheet and income statement presentation; sign off on certification of assigned accounts.
- Present investigative findings (orally and in writing) to management, and other constituents in an organized, concise and timely fashion.
- Analyze financial activities using Excel modeling (Vlookup, Pivot Tables, Oracle Essbase, etc) including the monthly close process, balance sheet account valuations, and expense forecasting to 8 divisions nationally.
- Develop a comprehensive strategic budget allocation plan for the Brand Marketing department to effectively manage annual operating fund of $13,500,000.
- Create a flowchart guideline to illustrate the interactions between multiple internal Enterprise Resource Planning systems (Ariba, JD Edwards, etc), streamlining the integration process of the company amidst one of the biggest telecommunication mergers in history.
- Prepare ad hoc analysis and reports to corporate sales, operations, and finance management.
- Predicted the company’s growth rate by preparing monthly financial forecasts used in annual budgeting.
- Provided transactional support on senior managed transactions with compliance, underwriting and clients.
- Developed a 3-step verification process for verification thereby reducing daily wrongful posting by 60%.
- Reconciled payments and performed payment verification using spreadsheet, reducing wrongful payment by 15%.