Data modelers and Data Architects help design computer systems that simplify data. They help reduce data loss and increase data movement across systems. They also confirm business data for errors.
How to Become a Successful Data Modeler?
Data Modelers must have a degree. Employers looking for data modelers look for candidates with a bachelor’s degree. Most informative science or computer studies. These degrees are the perfect match for a data modeler. Candidates with courses in information system management or business management stand higher chances of employment.
A Data Modeler must have good communication skills. A large chunk of data modeling has to do with translating, balancing of many user requirements and reporting the final results from the users’ perspectives.
Tools are needed when it comes to data modeling. It is important to know the trend in organizations to improve your skills and proficiency.
A foundation in structured query language is important. it is impossible to be a data modeler without having a foundation in SQL. This is the standard programming language for manipulating, managing and accessing data stored in relational databases.
The Best Data Modeler Resume Samples
These are some examples of job descriptions we have handpicked from real Data Modeler resumes for your reference.
Data Modeler and Developer
- Designed conceptual data model based on the requirement, Interacted with non-technical end users to understand the business logics.
- Modeled the logical and physical diagram of the future state, Delivered BRD and the low level design document.
- Discussed the Data model, data flow and data mapping with the application development team.
Senior Data Modeler
- Achieved super-user level of expertise with Adaptive Metadata Manager, mastering the metamodel(s) and developing load templates for business and technical metadata.
- Produced initial iterations of an Enterprise Logical Data Model for the Consumer domain, enabling gap analysis for acquisition of Master Data Management software.
- Facilitated bi-weekly Consumer Data Stewardship Council meetings, producing seven enterprise business object definitions and a producer/consumer matrix for the Consumer domain.
Senior Data Modeler
- Project with Lee County Electric Cooperative (LCEC) was to build a Data Warehouse to bring the many different systems together to supply data analysis, metrics and management reporting needs.
- LCEC currently has many systems used in their industry which do not communicate or share data with each other causing many manual export and manipulation to create the reporting needs required.
- Creating a data warehouse will enable the users to gather valuable data in a single source which is user ready for analytical reporting across the many different systems.
- Performed Data Analysis and data profiling using complex SQL on various sources systems.
- Used Erwin for data modeling Perform Data Analysis & Profiling Activities to identify volumes, data quality issues to Solution Designers &ETL Architects.
- Use a variety of information gathering techniques to gather complex business data requirements from internal business clients and development teams.
- Analyzed data requirements & provided conceptual and technical modeling assistance to developers.
- Involved with Business Analysts team in requirements gathering and in preparing functional specifications and changing them into technical specifications.
- Involved in the enhancement efforts in implementing the business rules for Marketing Profile, Network Evolution, Wire centers call routing application.
- Created Use Case Diagrams, Activity Diagrams, Sequence Diagrams, Dataflow Diagrams, and Conceptual Data Models in MS Visio.
- Communicated with users and business analysts to gather requirements.
- Involved in business process modeling using UML through Rational Rose.
- Development of DDL to establish Oracle databases on Oracle 11g R2 platform using Oracle-Partition feature.
- Development of PL/SQL queries and procedures to validate model functionality and requirements.
- Development of Excel sizing model to determine Oracle segment sizing’s prior to the loading of new data.
- Wrote installer DDL script, Stored-Procedures for ETL Data Loads, enable/disable table constraints, table-truncation, resetting sequences.
- Worked on Coordinating with 4 Different Team to Document and Spec out the requirement.
- Created Logical and Physical Data Models with Source to Target Mapping Document.
- Used ER Studio for Creating/Updating Data Models.
- Designed Informatica ETL Mappings documents, created ETL staging area framework, created data mapping documents, data flow diagram, ETL test scripts etc.
- Designed, modified database objects such as tables, views, indexes, Stored Procedures, defaults, user defined data types and functions.
- Implemented performance tuning T-SQL queries, Stored Procedures and SSIS Packages, Peer reviewed T-SQL code/SSIS packages.
- Extensively used most of the Control and Data Flow tasks, created XML configuration files to enable portability of packages.
- Generated various reports with drilldowns, calculated members, dropdowns from the cubes by connecting to Analysis server from SSRS.
- Involved in creating Functional Specifications Document (FSD), Data Mapping and Data Conversion/transformation documents.
- Involved in developing SQL queries for extracting data from test and production databases to perform data analysis and data quality checks.
- Perform Data validation, Data integrity before delivering data to operations, Business, Financial analyst.
- Interacting with business in defect resolution and end user support for various projects.
- Conducted data modeling working sessions to gather requirements, validate data sources, identify data rules and drive consensus on Customer and Product subject areas.
- Developed 3-NF and dimensional data models to support an Enterprise Data Warehouse initiative.
- Conducted source system data analysis to understand data flows and data usage.
- This required understanding the data elements from at least six different source systems and profiling them.
- Worked closely with business users, dealers and third party vendors to understand the process and the requirements.
- Created different subject areas and created different entities as per the business needs.
- Identified suitable classification words for the data coming from different sources.
- Identified the attributes to maintain in Semantic layer and provided instructions to Semantic team on how to populate data into those attributes.
- Participated in JAD sessions, gathered information from Business Analysts, end users and other stakeholders to determine the requirements.
- Translated the business requirements into workable functional and non-functional requirements at detailed production level using Workflow Diagrams, Sequence Diagrams, Activity Diagrams and Use Case Modelling.
- Involved in translating business requirements into data requirements.
- Used data vault modeling method which was adaptable to the needs of this project.