A Director of Transportation oversees the transportation operations within a company. Their duties include coordinating transportation, directing major projects, analyzing financial reports, researching management methodologies, managing budgets and establishing rates with providers, and ensuring transportations comply with relevant state and federal regulations.
For many people, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Director Of Transportation Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Director Of Transportation resumes for your reference.
Director Of Transportation Resume Sample 1
- Led a team of 12 employees, including dispatchers, mechanics and technicians.
- Achieved numerous cost savings by increasing the amount of time vehicles were on the road and decreasing routine maintenance costs.
- Trained dispatchers and drivers in customer service skills to provide quality experience for bus riders and commuters.
- Highly recognized for saving $200k with asset-tracking system; advocated use within agency, which led to universal application.
- Implemented successful strategy that increased fleet reliability from 80% to 97%, making average fleet down time less than 3 hours per day.
Director Of Transportation Resume Sample 2
- Managed a staff of 5 dispatchers, 20 drivers, and 10 trucks covering four different counties.
- Optimized the routing schedule to increase productivity by 3-10% through analysis of hours worked, mileage covered, and driver safety.
- Enabled the next generation of GPS technology for fleet tracking to reduce costs by streamlining routes with fuel conservation in mind.
- Achieved cost savings of over $22 million per year for clients after developing professional transportation consulting company which helped clients save money on shipping through value analysis.
- Fostered strong relationships between private organizations and government agencies through writing dozens of press releases about successful truck shipments facilitated by my fleet.
Director Of Transportation Resume Sample 3
- Established and implemented new transportation services for disadvantaged residents.
- Implemented the latest technology in order to provide on-time, accurate information regarding daily bus routes, maps, fares, time schedules, etc.
- Conducted training seminars on how to reach employment opportunities using public transportation.
- Lead the DOT team that successfully solved customer’s concerns throughout several community events during holidays that benefited thousands of people.
- Improved Department of Transportation by establishing new routes serving lower income communities while increasing ridership on existing lines.
Director Of Transportation Resume Sample 4
- Directed over $200 million of asset values in fleet, material handling equipment, and technology resources.
- Improved productivity by 15% with the implementation of new strategies for utilization of personnel and equipment resources.
- Established new services that enhanced customer satisfaction while increasing revenue by $10 million.
- Launched a direct to consumer marketing program that was recognized as an international best practice in the industry.
- Reduced operating costs by $800 thousand annually through the deployment of innovative transportation management technology.
Director Of Transportation Resume Sample 5
- Reduce vehicle miles traveled by 21% through increased use of carpooling, telecommuting, and other alternative transportation methods.
- Spearheaded the development of a Request for Proposals (RFP) program to find vendors for non-medical services.
- Developed the system to implement this process which included identifying annual non-medical expenditures of $1 million or more.
- Consolidated 6th Street location into two buildings overseeing more than 1 million square feet in facilities management services.
- Achieved seven year low for lost time accidents with improved scores across all four criteria used by Caltrans’ Chief Safety Office.
Director Of Transportation Resume Sample 6
- Oversaw and maintained transportation, information technology departments and developed goals in line with company goals.
- Coordinated and monitored an extensive budget of $140 million to cover capital, operating, and other expenses.
- Effectively managed a team of 150 employees overseeing management of physical assets including conveying equipment used to transport people for hundreds of thousands of miles on schedule.
- Developed long-term plans for operations department to promote efficiencies while maintaining safety standards during five years as director.
- Designed successful marketing campaigns credited with increasing revenue by 20% within 6 months after promotion.
Director Of Transportation Resume Sample 7
- Oversaw a budget of millions in capital expenses and fleets to ensure compliance with local, state, and federal regulations.
- Elevated company’s position in the transportation industry by introducing best practices in management information control during daily operations.
- Improved efficiency in drivers’ time management through technology by developing a system which tracks them throughout their shifts.
- Restructured routes across a multi-county area after a detailed study of customer needs identified several opportunities for cost savings in fuel usage and operating expenses.
- Spearheaded an initiative which increased productivity among drivers by cutting down the amount of idle hours from 16% to 3% over a three year period.
Director Of Transportation Resume Sample 8
- Manage day-to-day operations, transportation providers, and field personnel.
- Ensure efficient movement of all goods via established networks.
- Achieve highest level of performance by managing commercial vehicle maintenance programs; resolve warranty issues with manufacturers to ensure acceptable resolution (i.e., reimbursement for parts and labor).
- Eliminate potential for loss by developing preventive maintenance schedule. Maintain a safe work environment as evidenced by accident reduction from 54 in 2008 to 29 in 2009.
- Create an organized system through the development of a responsive customer service program that meets daily deadlines while adhering to new DOT regulations, policies, procedures, and safety standards
Director Of Transportation Resume Sample 9
- Supervised a staff of 15 to ensure that assigned equipment and vehicles were in working order.
- Attained awards for safety and performance; recognized by the City Manager and Mayor for implementing several new programs resulting in lower than expected accident rates, increased productivity, and compliance with federal and state regulations.
- Conducted comprehensive inspections on over 500 pieces of equipment ensuring they were road-worthy.
- Restructured routes to maximize operational efficiency while reducing cost.
- Initiated systematic route management system resulting in daily accountability of drivers, improved customer service, more timely deliveries, less time spent on routes behind trucks. Established training seminars for personnel resulting in significant increase of accuracy and efficiency in data entry.
Director Of Transportation Resume Sample 10
- Oversaw management of fleet vehicles, drivers, and freight to meet company revenue goals.
- Implemented intensive training program for company’s commercial trucks; developed efficiency goals that met industry standards.
- Pioneered the transportation branch in assembling a line of well-maintained service vehicles; set departmental quality control measures.
- Directed the acquisition of five new terminals to accommodate growing market demand; established distribution systems to increase products provided by 10% annually.
- Provided strategic direction to improve company revenues through comprehensive re-paving projects; constructed long term strategies to increase capacity load handling throughout distribution areas.
Director Of Transportation Resume Sample 11
- Oversaw training of transit staff to create a safe environment for passengers and employees.
- Increased productivity by 20% after changing work process rules and regulations, effectively implemented a budget that did not require additional funding from board of directors.
- Spearheaded new financial initiatives resulting in increased revenue collection while decreasing monthly operating costs.
- Responded to mass transportation crisis efficiently by rerouting routes around natural disasters or civil unrest, keeping citizens informed during emergencies via blogs, websites, etc.
- Actively involved in the community through public speaking engagements and outreach programs aimed at promoting mass transit awareness and encouraging dialogue about transportation issues on local levels.
To work as a Director of Transportation, you need at least as Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Engineering, Management, or a related field with a Master’s in Business Administration preferred. Directors of Transportation should demonstrate a results-driven personality, ability to work in an intensely fast-paced environment, knowledge of best practices and trends within the transportation industry, experience with data analysis, and proficiency with transportation management systems like Freightview and workflow management systems.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.
- The Best Director Of Transportation Resume Samples
- Director Of Transportation Resume Sample 1
- Director Of Transportation Resume Sample 2
- Director Of Transportation Resume Sample 3
- Director Of Transportation Resume Sample 4
- Director Of Transportation Resume Sample 5
- Director Of Transportation Resume Sample 6
- Director Of Transportation Resume Sample 7
- Director Of Transportation Resume Sample 8
- Director Of Transportation Resume Sample 9
- Director Of Transportation Resume Sample 10
- Director Of Transportation Resume Sample 11
- Wrap Up