Counselors help patients adjust to changes in their lives by educating them on practical things. For example, they may teach patients how to make an activity schedule or live more independently. The top skills for this position are problem-solving, solid communication skills, active listening, education, and life experience that can be helpful for understanding patient needs. No formal degree is required, but most employers prefer college graduates.
The Best Counselor Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Counselor resumes for your reference.
- Planned, Implemented, and documented successful educational, recreational, youth leadership, community service, and arts activities with school-aged children when necessary.
- Facilitated, lead, and/or coordinated special events, trips and activities for the program as instructed by the program director.
- Responsible for completing and the timely submission of all program reports relative to this position, including but not limited to supply requests, attendance, incident and accident reports, and evaluations.
- Assist in enrollment, recording, and submitting daily attendance records, and any other required documents to the administrative office.
- Led a team of 15 counselors in residential, in-home counseling for senior citizens that consisted of self-development classes, exercise, and physical activities.
- Trained counselors to utilize a comprehensive and comprehensive manual of strategies for effective teaching techniques.
- Led a team to prepare over 400 participants for the High School Exit Exam.
- Trained over 200 elderly people in the art of managing their finances and personal affairs.
- Assisted over 500 people with essential household needs such as home repairs, lawn care, and appliance/electronic repairs.
- Acquired new career experiences in the counseling field by assisting troubled students, youths, and adults. Fostered self-confidence, self-esteem, and self-determination among individuals suffering from low self-esteem.
- Provided opportunities for the group so that the success of each individual experience while at camp.
- Set a good example for campers in all areas, including cleanliness, punctuality, clean-up chores, rules, and sportsmanship.
- Supervised, assisted instructors, and actively participated in all aspects of the campers’ day.
- Observed camper behavior, assessed its appropriateness, enforced appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and applied appropriate behavior-management techniques.
- Developed skills as a problem solver through facilitating effective communication between managers and employees.
- Provided leadership to campers in all areas and acted as a role model in all areas of camp activities, including cleanliness, punctuality, chores, rules, and sportsmanship.
- Provided assistance to camp counselors and administrative leadership by supervising campers at all times to ensure safety and enjoyment.
- Communicated with parents regarding participant experiences and expectations.
- Identify and respond to camper behavioral issues, and report concerns to camp leadership.
- A directed one-day conference on Employee Relations for Human Resource Managers that exposed participants to the value of being a volunteer for a local arts council.
- Organized, lead, and promoted interest in summer camp recreational activities, such as arts, crafts, sports, games, camping, and hobbies.
- Enforced rules and regulations of summer camp to maintain discipline and ensure the safety of the campers.
- Communicated with children’s parents or guardians about daily activities, behaviors, and related issues.
- Provided financial assistance for veterans attending a program that addressed post-traumatic stress disorder; developed procedures to properly handle follow-up counseling appointments with clients who attend the program regularly.
- Assessed personal and professional needs of over 200 company employees.
- Residential counselor for teenagers and adults with severe mental illness and chemical dependency.
- Observed individual’s behavior and specific responses to treatment and rehabilitation programs.
- Lead skills development and /or activity groups with individuals and families.
- Monitored medications and make appropriate medication administration forms entries in accordance with the medication protocol.
- Aided 80% of hired 10th-grade students in assimilating into high school.
- Working to treat a wide range of adult clients with substance-related disorders as well as co-occurring mental health disorders.
- The residential facility maintains a clientele of 60 clients with a personal caseload of 15-20 clients.
- As a counselor, I am responsible for weekly individual sessions, treatment planning and weekly treatment plan reviews, crisis intervention, case management, process groups, psycho-educational groups (20-60 clients).
- Advised 15 corporate executives regarding career decisions, job satisfaction, and growth opportunities.
- Convinced the top management of major corporations to provide career opportunities and training for 80% of minority trainees.
- Effectively treats adults and adolescents from a variety of diverse cultural, economic, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Develops and maintains confidential progress notes, and conducts intake and termination assessments utilizing digital notes program.
- Experienced with suicidal ideation, crisis interventions, and acute emotional stress.
- Experience working with drug addiction and alcohol abuse using a harm reduction and motivational interviewing approach.
- Obtained high marks leading a group of teenagers in community service projects.
- Conduct medical, psychosocial/environmental assessments of clients through personal interviews, observation, and other methods to determine clinical resources and/or services required.
- Conducts individual/group counseling related to mental and behavioral problems, substance abuse, personal and other life problems.
- Thorough documentation of patient records/charts in a web-based record-keeping system.
- Developed self-disclosure exercises for lay, clergy, and professional participants; facilitated members of eight groups and ten workshops in their healing and recovery.
- Conveyed the complexities of the group process and facilitated a leadership development class that included the concepts of democratic decision-making.
- Built unity among groups of youth from diverse geographical, ethnic, and family backgrounds.
- Led and mentored 140 youth on various life skills and helped them teach and support each other.
- Solely responsible for the safety, well-being, instruction, and discipline of dozens of youth each week.
- Raised the level of awareness within a program’s community by actively participating in conferences, meetings, workshops, and seminars dedicated to the improvement of peer support counseling.
- Utilized top-quality writing skills as an author on five books that assisted counselor colleagues in dealing with essential problems within their profession.
- Provide a warm, inviting atmosphere so women feel comfortable sharing their thoughts and emotions.
- Assist doctors and nurses during procedures and the patient with relaxation techniques.
- Clerical work such as: answering phones, taking payments, inputting information in patient charts, etc.
- Founded a successful social work agency for over three years.
- Founded and led an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for one year.
- Essential Duties included a comprehensive assessment of the client’s substance abuse history and treatment requirements and prepared individualized developmental appropriate treatment plans.
- Provide individual and group counseling, and educational programs in accordance with a treatment plan.
- Documented treatment and discharge plans, and client’s progress and responses to treatments; and maintained related records and charts.
- Also make sure all information is up to date such as conviction rate, addiction progress, and educational levels that must be passed in order to properly discharge.
- Participated in National Counseling Conference as a presenter on “Motivating, Developing & Empowering Your Professional Staff.”
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.