Building inspectors examine construction projects and properties for safety and code infractions. These professionals must have a keen eye for detail, and ability to identify potential code problems, and excellent written communication skills. The top skills for this position are problem-solving, project management, construction knowledge, critical thinking, customer service, judgment, and decision-making. In addition to a high school diploma or equivalent, most jurisdictions require that you have some postsecondary education in building inspection or a related field.
The Best Building Inspector Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Building Inspector resumes for your reference.
- Gained experience in blueprint reading, as well as preparation of maps and plans.
- Over-sighted construction projects and supervised the construction team throughout the entire process.
- Handled cost-of-materials estimations, report and document tracking, project documentation, on-site project visits, invoice/agreement verification.
- Performed daily inspections of civil works, kept Building construction Diary.
- Conducted inspections at residential and commercial construction projects.
- Inspect existing buildings and premises for change of use, occupancy, or compliance with applicable codes and ordinances; work with the public to ensure structures are safe and ready for occupancy.
- Examine building plans, specifications, and evaluates technical reports to ensure compliance with the City of Baghdad Codes, regulations, and bylaws, the issue required permits.
- Approve building plans and signs permit to ensure conformance with building code regulations; witnessed and interpreted tests such as smoke control, fire alarm systems, etc. to evaluate as to compliance with regulations.
- Investigate complaints to determine general condition and compliance of dwellings, premises, non-dwelling structures, and vacant lands with Building Codes.
- Performed weatherproofing and waterproofing of residential buildings to help prevent water damage.
- Residential plan review and inspection of residential and commercial projects for compliance with city adopted zoning, structural, electrical, and mechanical codes.
- Provided code interpretations and equivalency evaluations for complex projects.
- Experienced with applying regulations and guidelines of state and federal agencies relative to a city’s building inspection requirements.
- Proficient in providing customer service to citizens, contractors, and other construction professionals.
- Inspected public buildings, such as churches, civic centers, schools, and banks. Identified problems with function and safety equipment.
- Providing Independent third-party building inspection services of residential, commercial, and or industrial properties to private customers, construction, and development, and banking, lending, insurance, litigation, and or government entities.
- Interacted with architects, engineers, and mechanical engineers to ensure compliance pre-build.
- Maintained inspection records and prepared reports for use by senior management.
- Recognized by superiors for excellent customer service skills during the relocation process in commercial building inspection businesses.
- Developed a nationally recognized homebuilding inspection business that served fifteen states.
- Visited project sites during construction to monitor progress and adherence to design specifications.
- Estimated quantities and cost of materials, equipment, and labor to determine project feasibility.
- Reviewed calculations and analytical data to maintain accuracy in projects.
- Investigated, documented, and solved code violations.
- Pardon a residential client who had applied for demolition in order to correct the deficiencies. This allowed the client to save $70k by applying the repairs before demolition (and preserving a “cookie-cutter” house).
- Reads and interprets adopted codes, technical manuals, drawings, and instruction specifications as related to construction projects.
- Clearly notifies the contractor of code violations with a written compliance report at the time of inspection.
- Works with the public at the permit counter and on the phone to answer basic code questions.
- May check that all required special inspections are performed and reviewed for completeness.
- Works with the computer to schedule inspections and update the computer with the results of inspections performed.
- Project coordination of construction and inspection services.
- Quality assurance consultant for HISD, involved with ground-up/renovation construction of HISD schools.
- Assure quality of work within structural, electrical, & mechanical installation processes.
- Documentation of daily construction completed & baseline schedule adherence.
- Discovered other code violations for a different client and then worked to fix these deficiencies.
- Oversee field construction of contractors for renovation and new projects of both commercial and residential.
- Inspect for contract compliance, quality, quantity, workmanship, and construction methods.
- Review project documents for code compliance, permitting, and professional engineered plans prior to construction.
- Review, interpret and communicate plans, specifications, and construction policies.
- A valued member on a team of four inspectors; diligence not only ensured timely inspections but also made sure clients received updates every week during construction.
- Provide quality residential/commercial inspections based on City ordinances and the International Code Council (ICC) International Residential and Building Codes.
- Create the inspection schedule daily for multiple employees.
- Provide quality customer service for citizens and builders.
- Provide accurate code-related answers and provide supporting documentation to citizens and builders.
- Made “ticket punch” marks on all new construction; other inspectors followed my lead in this regard since I was the team’s lead inspector.
- Work as a liaison for the city with businesses and homeowners to resolve any issues during the plan review process.
- Assist businesses and homeowners with questions and information that are addressed through the codes and city ordinances.
- Perform plan review on Commercial and residential properties.
- Perform Inspections on electrical, plumbing, and mechanical components on commercial and residential properties.
- Performed extensive home inspections for new construction, property titles, and condominiums; conducted house inspections; inspected rental properties; and performed commercial property audits.
- Confer with architects, contractors, builders, and the general public in the field and office; explain and interpret requirements and restrictions.
- Examine plans and specifications of new construction, additions, and alterations to residential, commercial, and industrial buildings to determine compliance with the provisions of the construction codes, ordinances, and regulations.
- Inspect existing buildings for change of use or occupancy for compliance with applicable codes and ordinances.
- Prepared a home buying package to make the transaction very simple for prospective home-buyers.
- Created a new method of wood floor installation to meet building codes while providing safer and more attractive floors.
- Enforced the International Building Code, Ohio Building Code, Ohio Mechanical Code, and County building codes.
- Performed on-site inspections of residential new construction, renovation, and structural building activities.
- Read specifications and blueprints, evaluated site work, and ensured projects were completed in accordance with approved plans.
- Inspected soil, structure, fire safety factors, footings, framing, insulation, ventilation, etc.
- Discovered illegal construction during inspection of historic buildings in order to protect historic monuments through legal action or public education.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.