Whether it’s in a high school, a college, or a club, the many sports teams of an institution and their respective coaches will always need a head of office to handle the many different needs they have as well as the finances for the different teams and what they need to buy in order to succeed or even just reach their goals for the season. This is where an Athletic Director comes in.
How to Become a Successful Athletic Director?
Depending upon the level of the institution you are working for, you may end up needing a wide array of different education levels. A high school or a middle school typically wont require much more than a basic high school diploma or GED but a college or high level sports club will want you to have a comprehensive education in athletics.
Typically you will begin by working in the department but not at the director level, as you will need experience and to prove you have leadership potential before you will be placed in charge of any of the teams or coaches. You may actually start out as a coach yourself if you have the skills to guide a team.
Gaining experience with leadership is a must as you will be guiding at every level of the program, and you will often be setting an example for people much younger than you. Showing them good sportsmanship and displaying honest values will help them leave better people and inspire others to join your program.
Being organized and good with deadlines will help you facilitate a good budget to meet the needs of every individual sports team and coach, while also handling their travel needs and their equipment upgrades, as teams will always need uniforms and gear in order to play at their very best in the future.
The Best Athletic Director Resume Samples
These are some examples of job descriptions we have handpicked from real Athletic Director resumes for your reference.
- Oversee all aspects of an athletic program, including hiring coaches, scheduling, budget preparation, promotion, compliance and facility management.
- Coordinate with student academic departments by organizing transportation, supervising coaches, and guiding sports teams to success indirectly.
- Prepare a budget and allocate spending on items like coach’s salaries, team travel, equipment purchases, and facility upkeep.
- To inspire and enable all young people to reach their full potential, especially those who need us the most.
- Implementing consistency from a strong role model position to over hundreds of kids daily.
- Assuring youth meet academic grade standards in school and healthy lifestyle standards.
- Starting recreational sports programs from scratch as well as offering free sports specific training for all participants.
- Opened and manages a 4500 sq. ft. fitness center with top of the line fitness equipment.
- Duties include Managing a team of 20 instructors, personal trainers, floor staff and maintenance crew.
- Instructing and personal training is also central in my job duties.
- Responsible for weekly & Monthly forecasting reports, purchasing & accrual reports, tactics & goal setting as well as a number of period end and quarterly reports.
- Managed a team of employees including group exercise instructors, personal trainers, massage therapist and cleaning department.
- Responsible for programming, revenue, payroll, expenses and forecasting.
- Assured high quality of service and maintained retention goals by constant interaction with staff and members, as well as immediate response to surveys and feedback.
- Organize and administer the overall program of interscholastic/intramural athletics for the middle school pursuant to Board and DISD policies.
- Recommend employment and assignment of athletic coaches to the principal.
- Foster good school/community relations by keeping the community aware of and responsive to the athletic program.
- Manage team of 6 professional coaches and 2 volunteer coaches which included six trips to State Tournaments in four years.
- Develop departmental structural plan and authored policies and procedures for Athletics Department which supported 150+ students.
- Prepare and manage $75K fiscal budget for all sports by way of using cost control measures.
- Create resource management plans to ensure the success of 4 sports teams throughout school year which resulted in program income growth from $0 in year 1 to $10K+ in year 4.
- Directs and manages overall daily operation of athletic programs with concern for planning and service delivery, supervision and training of staff and volunteers by interviewing qualified candidates and providing staff orientation to include benefits and work schedules, facilities management to include creating employee and facility schedules, community relations and administrative functions.
- Provide leadership, program and service management, strategic planning, management of resources, partnership development and marketing and public relations.
- Authored and published training modules for athletic leadership, manages lawn maintenance for athletic facilities.
- Responsible for the coordination of the entire the athletic program in collaboration with principals and coaches to ascertain programmatic needs on an annual basis, as well as prior to each season to insure consistency of program.
- Initiates the recruitment and selection of coaches and makes employment recommendations to the principal.
- Provides oversight of the scheduling of all middle school and high school athletic contests, issues contracts for the contest, and maintains the proper and necessary records.
- Hire and train staff for each sport Sterling offers. Supervise staff and make sure they are displaying Christ first to the kids as well as to the opponents, officials and fans.
- Manage Booster Club board members and provide different avenues for raising funds for the athletic program that are used to develop the program’s growth.
- Manage the spending of the Booster Club of approved items to enhance the program’s growth.
- Plan special events for sports programs to promote a fellowship atmosphere among the athletes.
- Direct and manage the athletic program serving more than 300 students in Houston, Texas.
- Supervise the coordination of athletic events and manage the athletic department’s budget.
- Oversee the job responsibilities and professional development of a coaching team responsible for Basketball, Volleyball, Soccer and Physical Education courses.
- Lead revenue development planning and fundraising, in coordination with school administrators.
- Implemented and directed polices for the UIL athletics and physical education department.
- Supervised, directed, and organized budgets for 25 different programs.
- Developed working relationships and vertical alignments with all campuses in physical education department.
- Developed a vertical alignment plan with our high schools and middle schools in athletics.
- Performed human resources duties as in payroll, salary negotiations, benefits administration, and purchase orders.
- Prepared a sports calendar that involves district and non-district games/events.
- Coordinated gym, building, and athletic field use with the district office and maintain the building use calendar.
- Work with coaching staff and transportation to schedule all athletic departure times and provide bus supervision with trip sheets.