From commercial flights to military pilots, airplanes are constantly on the move and skilled people to run them are always needed. These highly trained professionals get their flights where they need to be quickly and efficiently while keeping their passengers and whatever they are transporting safe the whole way.
How to Become a Successful Airline Pilot?
The amount of training and education it takes to become a pilot is no small feat, as there are lives on the line when it comes to flying. You will need to gain the education required by your state and then pass any necessary license exams, which will often require you to gain a certain number of practice hours.
Once you have begun the process to become a full pilot, you will typically be assigned to one or more experienced pilots that will teach and supervise you as you begin your career. Following their instructions and learning from their experience will serve you very well in the future.
When you reach the skill level required to work alone, you will always need to be vigilant and follow all required safety regulations for each and every flight. They are in place to keep you and all passengers safe, and you will face heavy consequences for slipping up even if nothing happens.
Traveling is a big part of being a pilot, as you will potentially find yourself in many different locations across the globe that your job will take you to. This will require you to be flexible and open to new experiences as you always find yourself in those new environments.
The Best Airline Pilot Resume Samples
These are some examples of job descriptions we have handpicked from real Airline Pilot resumes for your reference.
- Led flight crew operating large turbine-powered aircraft, while ensuring safety and comfort of passengers.
- Maintained high level of communications with dispatchers, maintenance staff, air traffic controllers, law enforcement and senior management to ensure safe and efficient conduct of operations.
- Used Crew Resource Management to ensure collaboration, create strategies during complex inflight decision-making.
- Maintained compliance with all FAA regulations, corporate policies, and standard operating procedures.
- Responsible for the safe operation of a 50 seat Embraer regional jet aircraft.
- Domestic and international experience operating out of Canada, Mexico and most US regions.
- Demonstrated knowledge to pass a highly technical training program involving aircraft systems, performance and full motion simulator training.
- Responsible for Safety and Security of the aircraft and passengers and cargo on board the aircraft.
- Maintain familiarity with Company’s Operations Manual as are necessary to fulfil his function both professionally and safely.
- Assist the Captain as requested, concerning any administrative duties in relation to the flight.
- Support the Captain in the maintenance of a proper standard of crew discipline, conduct and personal appearance.
- Scheduled Airline freight operations throughout the South Eastern United States, under contract with Federal Express.
- Assisted by first officer in safely operating all aircraft controls and systems.
- Detailed knowledge of all aircraft operating procedures, systems, and federal regulations.
- Most junior instructor ever selected to develop & teach the Crew Resource Management course.
- Developed $100-300 million dollar WalMart-Airborne Express partner strategy.
- Wrote a plan that created a $300,000 – $2,700,000 fuel savings strategy with 86 day pay back.
- Recruited by the Vice President of Flight Operations for a company Chief Pilot position.
- Reviewed and analyzed maintenance logs for currency, accuracy, and legality status.
- Managed flight deck crew responsibilities with cabin and ground crew coordination.
- Flew passengers more than 240,000 miles without accident or incident.
- Maintenance pilot functions, including testing, monitoring, and documenting of aircraft after maintenance work performed to evaluate return to service status.
- Organized study sessions with junior pilots to mentor and review for new hire evaluations.
- Managed time and budget constraints to ensure team efficiency is met or exceeded.
- Flawless pilot record including annual pilot evaluations and strenuous simulator testing.
- 10+ years safely piloting $20M jet aircraft in some of the busiest air corridors in the world, utilizing both GPS & aeronautical charts.
- Successfully completed numerous aircraft training programs, including DC-9, B-737, B-727, Airbus 320, et al, in addition to mandatory semi-annual FAA recurrent checks.
- Airline Transport Pilot (ATP); 12,000 flight hours, operating jet aircraft domestically and internationally.
- Second-in-Command responsibility for the flight and safety of all passengers and crew.
- Performed pre-flight checklists on engines, hydraulics and other systems to ensure FAA safety standards.
- Updated and maintained new FAA Aeronautical Chart Revisions monthly.
- Responsible for the safe operation of multiple aircraft types in a global spectrum.
- Determine fuel loads, weight and balance, take off and landing numbers for each flight considering status of aircraft systems.
- Communicate with dispatch to determine best and most effective routes.
- Reliably deliver communication with crew members/passengers to ensure departure/arrival times are met.
- Work with the flight crew in managing the safe and efficient operation of the aircraft.
- Utilize my proficiency in operating large complex aircraft and their associated systems.
- Assume the responsibility and authority of flight crew when necessary.
- Take into consideration ALL things affecting the safety of the flight, i.e., weather, aircraft maintenance, fuel load, aircraft weights, takeoff/landing performance, hazmat, etc.
- Work through in-flight emergencies in an appropriate manner to achieve a successful outcome.
- As captain, use the support and suggestions of all coworkers such as first officer and/or flight attendants to aid in the decision making process.