Transportation Planners are project managers for transportation projects. They work to plan and put in place transportation projects for a metropolitan area and they aim to address transportation needs for a given area through research, analytics, and surveying. They provide an interdisciplinary approach to transportation problems and work to provide transportation and infrastructure solutions for customers.
For many people, writing a resume can be daunting. If you are working on your own, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to include and how best to present yourself.
The sample resumes below provide great examples of how to write an effective resume.
The Best Transportation Planner Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Transportation Planner resumes for your reference.
Transportation Planner Resume Sample 1
- Handled all aspects of the planning for a $60 million capital improvement project.
- Identified and resolved transportation issues through coordination with federal, state, county and private organizations including DOT, FHWA and RIDOT.
- Pioneered new parking meter technology program in Providence RI; implemented software to increase revenue by creating more efficient collection routes and processing customer disputes more quickly.
- Gained extensive experience working on major intermodal projects; managed efforts of traffic engineers, landscapers, landscape architects, consultants and subcontractors throughout the entire process from start to finish.
- Coordinated several large scale construction activities including roadway closures in restricted work zones with various city departments such as fire department, public works, police department and schools.
Transportation Planner Resume Sample 2
- Developed the Plan for the New M-20 Corridor.
- Optimized historical traffic data to identify operational issues, developed recommendations, and identified individual improvement projects along with an implementation schedule.
- Used demographic data to support transit decisions including forecasting service demand and identifying gaps in service.
- Presented multiple approaches to improving multi-modal interchange capacity through modeling different Transportation Demand Management (TDM) strategies.
- Streamlined public transportation operations by integrating client tracking system into back office processes.
Transportation Planner Resume Sample 3
- Provided daily briefings for the director, staff, and consultants on project status, timely accomplishments of milestones, meetings & events to be held.
- Developed survey instruments for both highway level data collection and sample household surveys; drafted sections of contract documents for consultant team bidding process.
- Collaborated with interdisciplinary teams at all levels within an organization to set performance targets for transportation system improvement.
- Coordinated complex schedules between required parties in order to prepare reports in required formats that could be easily understood by management.
- Organized training courses for local employees in conjunction with company managers; provided refresher courses on regulations and basic safety guidelines.
Transportation Planner Resume Sample 4
- Created an innovative transportation model to accurate predict the future traffic conditions for over seven years.
- Managed time and resources by effectively prioritizing projects, delegating tasks, and organizing workflow of multiple divisions within the Transportation Department.
- Implemented strategies that reduced greenhouse gas emissions by nearly 20% in only nine months; recognized as a top performer among peers.
- Masterminded new methods to reduce congestion on major roadways leading into Regions 1 and 2; received glowing report from Bureau Director during performance review.
- Received award for developing creative transportation design plans based on customer feedback; saved countless hours and money through efficient planning practices.
Transportation Planner Resume Sample 5
- Analyzed daily airline seat availability, including discount pricing information.
- Researched transportation alternatives for clients requiring special attention to accommodating handicapped accessibility requirements.
- Recommended concessions and negotiated agreements between professionals and airports.
- Developed customer service experience by providing dependable delivery/pick-up service using personal automobile for business purposes.
- Prioritized work flow to meet deadlines; achieved 99 percent on-time rate each year for three years based on over 10,000 completed deliveries annually.
Transportation Planner Resume Sample 6
- Developed functional plan for transportation infrastructure that reduced traffic congestion by 12% within first year of implementation.
- Increased public ridership on buses by 8.7% after initiating new service routes and stops with support from community stakeholders.
- Reduced energy consumption through the optimization of routing, scheduling, and dispatching methods, saving $40k-50k annually.
- Managed inventory control of fleet equipment to reduce costs through proactive maintenance programs; increased fuel efficiency 5%.
- Collaborated with customers, consultants, suppliers/vendors, city officials, network partners to develop seamless transit system.
Transportation Planner Resume Sample 7
- Developed innovative transportation plans for Miami-Dade County, FL; reduced commute times by an average of 30 minutes.
- Collaborated with Florida Department of Transportation to draft guidelines to alert drivers prior to U.S. Highway road closures due to accidents and debris removal.
- Participated in long range planning sessions for projects including roadway rehabilitation improvements, upcoming roadway capacity expansions, and future use of new technologies that affect the department’s operations; recommended implementation of federal funds allocated towards environmentally friendly initiatives.
- Introduced new software programs for better use of data collection within 10 agencies. Evaluated preliminary costs associated with several pending projects at the metropolitan level .
- Reduced motor vehicle accidents by 40% within six months of work with highway contractors on new road markings.
Transportation Planner Resume Sample 8
- Collaborated with the Traffic Engineering Division to develop transit system plans that help achieve the City’s goals of safety, public service, sustainability, equity, and fiscal responsibility.
- Assisted with analyzing alternative transportation options for local area eligible for transportation-oriented development (TOD) incentives.
- Promoted walking and bicycling programs to increase mode share in order to decrease greenhouse gas emissions; supported efforts to plan pedestrian and bicycle improvements on city streets.
- Researched requested changes in land use zoning for individual properties which may affect traffic patterns through neighborhood areas.
- Performed data analysis using environmental modeling software which included managing/updating air model input data files based on vehicle and geographic data.
Transportation Planner Resume Sample 9
- Devised cross-country trip for promotion of California’s highway beautification program.
- Researched and organized large events, including the 2008 New York City Marathon, to relieve traffic congestion in downtown areas by rerouting commuters.
- Planned optimal travel routes using up-to-the-minute weather reports for corporate clients during ski season.
- Accountable for transportation coordination of all high school students under my supervision working on senior projects at prestigious universities.
- Built lasting relationships with colleagues across multiple divisions of public transit to effectuate better organization between bussing companies serving different regions.
Transportation Planner Resume Sample 10
- Evaluated and improved scheduling efficiency by introducing new operating/scheduling software system; reduced bussing “downtime” from 2 hours to 14 minutes.
- Executed improvements to maintenance and inventory services, resulting in significant dollar savings in the annual transportation department budget and a 20% decrease in bus downtime (unscheduled absences).
- Spearheaded the development of an action plan that saved $500,000 in an energy cost reduction project that would normally take three years. The savings were realized almost immediately upon implementation of my plan.
- Led the resolution initiative for the re-accreditation process for our agency, which had been placed on probation due to lack of compliance.
- Effectively presented the concepts of “service quality” and “service recovery” to transportation staff through training sessions. Improved customer service by 30% within the first six months, saving our agency nearly $20,000 in lost revenue.
Transportation Planner Resume Sample 11
- Implemented transportation plans in accordance with Federal Safe Routes to School Program for workers in the Industrial Center.
- Promoted public relations by presenting proposals at different levels of local government and community organizations.
- Utility worker recognized for excellence, efficiently completed the daily tasks demanded by position. First-year performance led to promotion.
- Designed traffic control plan for intersection with high accident rate according to guidelines established by state department of transportation.
- Prepared thorough reports that assisted agency in applying for federal funding when highway project was canceled due to lack of funds. Recognized by agency director for hard work and dedication.
Transportation Planners work to make transportation systems more efficient and meet customers’ needs. These individuals need knowledge of GIS, modeling technologies, and an understanding of data analytics. Transportation Planners need to have organizational analytical and technological skills. They should have a degree in environmental science and several years of experience.
Resumes are a crucial aspect of any job search. In order to make a good first impression, it is important that your resume be formatted and written professionally. To create the perfect resume, think about what skills and qualities you want your future employer to see.
Hope these samples gave you an idea of what your resume should look like and some tips on how to make sure that your resume stands out from the rest.