As the world becomes more connected and people sample other cultures more freely, foods that were once popular in only one region become popular across the globe, and sushi is one such dish. A sushi chef helps bring this popular dish to people of all cultures, and in every kind of restaurant they prepare the high skill food for customers.
How to Become a Successful Sushi Chef?
- Depending on where you wish to work, the educational requirements for this position can be quite varied, though the size and class of the restaurant typically plays the biggest role. A smaller establishment may only want experience, while a larger and higher class restaurant will want a completed degree from a culinary program.
- In addition to culinary skills required to make tasty meals, a sushi chef typically needs to have a sense of artistry, as presentation is a very important part of the meal. Cuts of food need to be put together in a way that is palatable as well as pleasing to look at using traditional ingredients that customers will expect.
- As with any kind of food preparation safety is very important, and even more so for sushi due to the minimal amount of cooking involved for much of the process. Meats will need to be stored safely and prepared properly, and all areas and surfaces will need to be cleaned and stored to regulations.
Knives are also very important to the cutting and preparation of the meal, especially because a certain amount of showmanship is often expected by customers. While matching this is important safety is as well, and so a careful balance will keep you safe and your customers happy and returning.
The Best Sushi Chef Resume Samples
These are some examples of job descriptions we have handpicked from real Sushi Chef resumes for your reference.
- Managed and coordinated a team sushi chefs to ensure daily task and goals were met.
- Specialist at preparing and serving vibrant colorful dishes produced with fresh ingredients.
- Consistently complied with culinary standards and responsible food storage and handling.
- Delivered clear and efficient communication with customers to insure quality of service.
- Collaborated with a team of sushi and kitchen chefs to serve quality food at a timely manner.
- Created daily artistic sculpted sushi specials for Haven Lounges award winning Happy hours.
- Prepared, passionately selected and gathered all freshly ordered international ingredients for planned upscale social events, DJ premier and corporate functions.
- Prepped, aligned, suggested and assembled all kitchen stations as a head line chef should.
- Prepared and presented all food items, hot and cold as per sushi outlet standards and norms.
- Contributed largely in entire program focusing on sanitation and hygiene.
- Provided training and guidance to staff members regarding sushi culinary cooking procedures and plating.
- Ordering materials, fish, produce etc with a wide variety of vendors to cut cost and increase quality with the sushi, ceviche, and hot line station.
- Creation of Japanese and Peruvian Ceviche/ Tiradito’s Infusion Sauces as well as creating as set station to increase speed, quality and proficiency during high peak hours.
- Established Nyotaimori (Naked sushi on top of a girl) in the restaurant (One of the few restaurants in Miami) with exquisite presentation and quality.
- Led and directed team members on effective methods, operations and procedures.
- Created new and delicious menu items, and executed new menu implementations.
- Maintained a safe working and guest enviroment to reduce risk of injury and accidents.
- Promoted a positive atmosphere and went above and beyond to guarantee each customer received expectional food and service.
- Monitor sanitation practices to ensure that employees follow standards and regulations.
- Inspect supplies, equipment, and work areas to ensure conformance to established standards.
- Determine how food should be presented, and create decorative food displays.
- Prepare and cook foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
- Accountable for completion of daily prep work in addition to weekly tasks and keeping par.
- Responsible for timely and efficient completion of all sushi orders.
- Accountable for quality checks on all fish and veg prep throughout the day.
- Inspect supplies, equipment, or work areas to ensure conformance to established standards.
- Ensure freshness of food and ingredients by checking for quality, keeping track of old and new items, and rotating stock.
- Wash, peel, cut, and seed fruits and vegetables to prepare them for consumption.
- Ensuring that tools such as thermometers and pH meters are in good working order.
- Communicate with customers and create a laid back, comfortable environment for all sushi bar customers.
- Work directly with management and staff in order to perfect sushi experience as a whole.
- Opening and closing station including proper cleaning and sterilization of all tools, floor, countertops, cutting boards and knives used to prepare raw food.
- Specialize in the preparation of nigiri, maki, tempura, fish and cutting sashimi.
- Prepare all varieties of meat including veal, pork, beef, lamb, poultry, game and seafood.
- Daily fillet fish and prepare sushi to fill sushi case and customer orders.
- Assist with daily menu planning and development including creativity and experimentation with new trends and menu ideas and recipes for sushi.
- Inspected and cleaned food preparation areas, such as equipment and work surfaces, or serving areas to ensure safe and sanitary food-handling practices.
- Ensured food is stored at correct temperature by regulating temperature and ensured freshness of food and ingredients by keeping track of date and rotating stock.
- Seasoned and server food according to recipes or personal judgment and experience.
- Prepare and cook foods of all types, on a regular basis and for special guests or functions (catering).
- Monitor food preparation methods, portion sizes, and garnishing and presentation of food to ensure that food is prepared and presented in an acceptable manner.
- Positive interaction and conversation with patrons sitting at the chef’s counter.